What's new

No weights workouts

Anyone have any suggestions or links to good sites for no weight workout routines. I'm missing the gym more than I like with kids and school. Also want to take some bulk off as re-enlistment time is fast approaching and I need to run faster. I know the simple solution is to run more but I want to get more toned and a better core.

I'll second the crossfit recommendation. Their warmup alone will give you a nice variety of body weight exercises to do.

If you want to add a little bit of gear, I'm a big fan of kettlebells, but dumbbells are fine too. Play it Again Sports is a great source of cheap equipment. You can also take a DIY approach to it. I have a cheap basketball that I filled with 20 lbs of sand, patched and reinflated--now it's a nice medicine ball.

A big sandbag is also handy--I put one from Home Depot into an old military surplus waterproof bag and wrapped it in duct tape. I can pick it up and throw it over my shoulder and do squats, or do lots of other exercise with it.

Pounding a tire with a sledgehammer is also good, and you can get a good workout flipping the tire if it's big enough.

Hang a pull up bar in your garage--maybe a heavy bag if you're into that (I love the Bas Rutten workout CDs too).

Look in the message boards at Crossfit.com. Lots of good ideas there. Have fun!

Thanks haven't had time to really give sites a real in-depth look yet, but they look to be exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

I travel. I carry a TRX SYSTEM with me. Anyway, you can use it at home or on the road. Check it out, because of it being a strap system you are using your on bodyweight. You don't need weights to get a great workout.

If you're on Instagram take a look at Pat Sherwoods account. With the gym closures going on he's been flooding his account with posts with BW workouts

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Also want to take some bulk off as re-enlistment time is fast approaching and I need to run faster. I know the simple solution is to run more but I want to get more toned and a better core.

I used to do situps without foot support and then when that got easy enough I started by laying flat on the floor with my arms above my head and legs straight. Combine that with a twist at the waist altering sides and it works very well. Then I'd roll to my stomach and do pushups.

Eventually I started holding my arms above my head while holding weights, but you could use anything in place of the weights, and it doesnt take much.

For building stamina, cross country running has worked the best for me. Uneven terrain mixed with short and long half jumping strides.

I second convict conditioning. There are a couple versions now, I'd start with the first. If you are wanting cardio as well, get the T-25 program. It's really good if you push yourself through the whole 10 week program

I believe this thread was started pre-flu, but my gym being closed is playing hell for me. I do not have a "home gym". I have A 35lb kettlebell and a curl bar with 20 pounds of plates. Not ideal.
I'm doing alot of reps since I don't have the weight.
And good luck getting any weights at sporting good stores. They are as scarce as hand sanitizer.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I do not have a "home gym". I have A 35lb kettlebell ... Not ideal.

This is my favourite kettlebell workout DVD ... now available for online download.

(If memory serves, the "Extreme 3" volume is all about using a pair of kettlebells ... and if you only have one ... well ...

Top Bottom