What's new

No Tempura Snow Monkey - No Clownhouse? New Sheriff in Town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, there has to be boundaries. When there's a serious/informational post from the mods on a policy change, etc - don't make it a thread full of jokes, it's disrespectful and makes it hard for folks to follow. There are thousands of threads in which you can joke, and you can always create a new one.

There's a time and place for jokes, and this isn't either.

Joel,

I am guilty of the first joke reply, but consider:
  • The thread is in the clown house.
  • The title of the thread is itself a joke.
  • The first post fills one's screen with a joke picture.
  • The first post's first paragraph apologizes for being long-winded so does not encourage careful reading.
It was hard NOT to reply with a joke to an "obviously" joke thread in a humor forum. I didn't even read the first post until after I replied to it.

It was hard NOT to reply with a joke to an "obviously" joke thread in a humor forum. I didn't even read the first post until after I replied to it.

"Shoot first ask questions later?......."

This is probably just me but I did not for one second have a doubt that this was going to be a serious thread. I think Phil did a great job of getting a very serious point across as light heartedly as possible. He does say it is long winded but to please bear with him, and in my opinion when a mod starts talking along those lines we had all better listen up.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I appreciate the feedback here that I'm getting, and it goes along with my opinion that there are some stand up folks here in the Clown House.

We're relying on you folks to help keep the CH open and fun, and to help weed out those few who would turn this into just another raunchy forum that populates the internet with such hopless abandon.

B&B is a special place among Internet Boards, you know it, I know it, and everyone who takes just a moment to think about it knows it, and the Clown House is a part and parcel of it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well, if a picture is worth a thousand words, I read more than half of it!

And I'll grant you the "light hearted" part.

Thanks Bob.
Sometimes it a fine line to walk.
If you want to get an important message across to folks you can do it in a cajoling manner or a serious to the point manner.
Most people would get it either way.
Unfortunately there are those who would criticize the first method for being frivolous and those who would criticize the second method as "heavy handed".
It can be a daunting task to communicate effectively to such a large cross section of folks.
I generally try to do it in a light hearted manner, knowing that the largest portion of people here are pretty intelligent, and are smart enough to read between the lines of humor.
A straight "Don't do that" is reserved for the minority who can't take a hint.

Again, thanks for your support fellas.

I appreciate the feedback here that I'm getting, and it goes along with my opinion that there are some stand up folks here in the Clown House.

We're relying on you folks to help keep the CH open and fun, and to help weed out those few who would turn this into just another raunchy forum that populates the internet with such hopless abandon.

B&B is a special place among Internet Boards, you know it, I know it, and everyone who takes just a moment to think about it knows it, and the Clown House is a part and parcel of it.

Thanks, Phil. Based on my post from earlier this week, you know how I feel about the CH. I think it is really, really sad, after a few warnings from earlier in the week and previous weeks, some still have to push things to near extinction. I am really impressed that you are going to the extreme of cleaning up the thread and intend to reinstall it. I would have just wiped it out. Thanks for what you and the other mods here do. It is just sad that a small group of troublemakers make it hard on everyone - mod and member.

Joel,

I am guilty of the first joke reply, but consider:
  • The thread is in the clown house.
  • The title of the thread is itself a joke.
  • The first post fills one's screen with a joke picture.
  • The first post's first paragraph apologizes for being long-winded so does not encourage careful reading.
Hi Bob,
Water under the bridge, but I'd suggest reading posts before responding to them. :wink:

My post got deleted? Seriously?

What was wrong with it?

Hi Chris,
The first action you should have taken was contact a mod in private for your inquiry. Why? Well, clearly there was an issue with your post and being that it was removed, this was between you and whoever removed it, which was me. Dealing with things like this in public often cause the offender embarrassment or makes them feel like they need to continue their defiance to keep up public appearances, so it's a sub-optimal approach. Since you've opted to take the public approach, as well disregarded my first request in this thread, I'll oblige you with a public answer - your post was in direct violation of what I had specifically asked (to keep this thread serious) and added no intelligence or value to the conversation.

There is no rebuttal. There is no "you can't take a joke" or "I was only kidding" response or any other acceptable reaction other than an apology. We spend a lot of time talking through issues as a mod team, really put a lot of thought into things and put a ton of time and effort into keeping this place gentlemanly (yet still fun) if/when we make a few small requests, like keeping an important informational thread serious and on topic, we expect your compliance. We ask for very little, and we give folks a TON of slack and only get involved when absolutely necessary, so this isn't a case of us being unreasonable, or asking or requiring much, if anything from members here.

You could have started a new thread on teaching a monkey how to make tempura (what you posted about), but after being specifically asked to keep it serious, there's no excuse for you having done that here. How would you feel if you posted a serious thread about something important, folks turned it into a joke, then continued to do so after you asked them not to?

There's a time and a place for fun.... There are hundreds of thousands of threads on this site, and there is a VERY small number of threads (it's in the double digits) where it's not acceptable to joke around... this is one of them. If there was any confusion or it was unclear, I remedied that with my previous post politely asking folks to keep this thread serious, so theres no excuses after that post was made.

Look through my posts in my 5+ years of being here, and you'll quickly find it's really, I mean really rare that I ask for something along these lines - or anything from members as a whole (maybe 2-3 times since B&B was founded), so when I do ask for something, I don't expect 2-3 posts afterwards for someone to post a picture of a monkey with tempura and talk about training them - and let me stop you before you go there - it doesn't make it "ok" because you added an "in all seriousness" at the end.

Phil put a lot of effort in this thread and this topic behind the scenes and tried to keep it fun/lighthearted so as to not seem like a jerk, but responding to his thread with jokes is disrespectful to him and I positively won't stand for it, in the same way I wouldn't stand for any member (mods included) publicly disrespecting you or any other member here - and if you EVER see that, PM me immediately and you'll see fireworks, because that violates the fundamental principles of this community.

If you'd like to discuss this further, I encourage you to take it to PM's. I'll gladly continue this conversation with you publicly, but I can't see any value it would bring to you, or folks stuck reading it.

Joel,

Thanks for the reply. I was not aware that you were a mod since there is no indication in your profile such as ouch, Phil or Azmark.

I was just curious since other users had posted these items and they didn't get deleted...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The good 'ole boys didn't get their posts deleted, yet mine did. That was the only reason for the inquiry.

Joel,

Thanks for the reply. I was not aware that you were a mod since there is no indication in your profile such as ouch, Phil or Azmark.

I was just curious since other users had posted these items and they didn't get deleted...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The good 'ole boys didn't get their posts deleted, yet mine did. That was the only reason for the inquiry.

I had to laugh at "good 'ole boys"...I've been on the short leash for so long now....

but, as for why, I'd say it has something to do with this:

...after being specifically asked to keep it serious...

those pics you referenced were early in the thread, yours was well after the warning to keep the thread serious, so it was context/timing that got your post. If I had posted mine at the same time as yours, it would have gotten deleted, and still probably will.
I'm honestly surprised that this thread hasn't been shortened to 4-5 relevant posts, and locked, though that isn't to say it won't happen still.
I've been here long enough to know that when the mods say "enough", then it's enough, regardless what transpired days, hours, or even minutes ago. There's few of them and several thousand of us, the least we can do is be courteous to their requests

those pics you referenced were early in the thread, yours was well after the warning to keep the thread serious, so it was context/timing that got your post.

Fair enough and maybe I should read the threads more thoroughly next time. Sorry to drag this on anymore than it needs to be.

And when I meant good 'ole boys, it was in a good sense and not meant to be negative in any way what so ever.

Have a great weekend all.

Last edited:
Fair enough and maybe I should read the threads more throughly next time. Sorry to drag this on anymore than it needs to be.

And when I meant good 'ole boys, it was in a good sense and not meant to be negative in any way what so ever.

Have a great weekend all.

:thumbup1:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Again, I appreciate the feedback from all.
I think all that needs to be said on this post has been said, so rather than let it ramble on I will close this thread.
If you guys have questions or comments, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Phil, thanks for taking the lead on this in my absence. Looks like you've done a great job around these parts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom