What's new

No strike, but picked up a spare

So I finally get my first real smoke in. Picked up some spare ribs. Trimmed away some day, pulled the membrane and seasoned with a chipotle mango mix first and a small amount of a different rub.

Got the grill ready, temp was locked in added some apple wood inserted the heat diffuser with some water and let the smoke settle in to it thin blue. Then dropped some pork.

IMG_20200808_153127.jpg

About two and a half hour later the smoker set the crust and I brought out the foil. Added some honey some more of the second rub, brown sugar, and some BBQ sauce with a molasses base.

IMG_20200808_160909.jpg

Back on until we probe proper pork tender.

IMG_20200808_161004.jpg

Making a mess, locking my fingers, pull from the bone, my first humble smoke ring.

Ribs

Well done!

Now we need a pic. of the smoker.
That would be in the thing thread

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Awesome!!! I would eat that...can't see the beer though.

Next time just try using salt and pepper and see if the meat and smoke talk instead of all the sugar. ...I'm sorry its a Texas thang.

Awesome!!! I would eat that...can't see the beer though.

Next time just try using salt and pepper and see if the meat and smoke talk instead of all the sugar. ...I'm sorry its a Texas thang.
I'm a salt and pepper guy, these were actually too sweet for me, but I was feeding someone else too (she ate two ribs)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That would be in the thing thread

Ahhh, yes. I didn't follow that thread much, but was interested. Nice unit...I like it.

Once you have several smokes under your belt, don't overthink it. A probe is really not necessary. You'll just know when it's done. But a probe helps you get to that level.

That sucks for the shipping of things to Canada for Thermoworks...they make good stuff. I have a cheap digital thermometer from Home Depot that I use sometimes, and a couple of the US$5 oven thermometers from Wallyworld I use on the grate of the smoker.

BTW, SWMBO brought home a slab of ribs today...St. Louis cut instead of Babybacks. I like Babybacks.

A pic. of the thermometers in action:

1596941481471.png

Oh, and for ribs...I don't use a thermometer. Too many bones close to the meat that are hotter than the meat.

I just pick them up in the middle and when the ends droop at about a 45 degree angle I call them done. I don't pay much attention to the meat pulling off the end of the bone.

About the angle of a goose's wings when landing.

1596942826415.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom