What's new

No shop to call home

I live in a small apartment and don't have a place for a bench or large power tools. I was wondering if anyone else is in this situation, and what level of restorations can you do given your limited space?

Any advice on setting up a workspace, given this limitation, is appreciated.

Well you're main issue is going to be ventilation. I'd be really worried about sanding, especially exotic woods like cocobolo and other poisonous woods.

Are you just looking to do dremel kind of work? If that the case then I'd try to make a box of sort to do all the work in and just keep from splattering all over.

I would have a fan in the window and make sure to wear a respirator at all times. I think it could probably be done.

Legion

Staff member
You would probably be better using acrylic rather than wood, but you are going to cover everything with dust. I would set up the workshop in the bathroom or laundry so you can sweep and mop up after.

To be honest, I'm not sure how far I'm going to go with it. My first goal is to just unpin and clean up a razor, and then see where I go from there.

To be honest, I'm not sure how far I'm going to go with it. My first goal is to just unpin and clean up a razor, and then see where I go from there.

Im in the same boat or in our case limited square footage.
I do have cool super in my building who will let me use a small room in the basement. Thats a option if you have it.

But so far as of today I just unpinned a razor here in my apartment and just started polishing up the razor's blade , handing sanded with a few different grits of wet/dry sand paper.The blade was in good shape to begin with. I did all the work in my kitchen by the sink. I do plan on making scales or a least trying. Would love to use horn as for those where the scales on the blade before hand.
From doing some reading here most of the work can be done by hand. I think the hardest part is drilling the holes for the new pin's and shaping the new scales.

Legion

Staff member
The little Dremel drill press attachments are a good option for those with limited space.

proxy.php

Hello
legion,

I like that little Dremel drill press, I was checking it out at home depot the other day. Do you know if you can attach a small saw blade for cutting scales?

Legion

Staff member
Hello
legion,

I like that little Dremel drill press, I was checking it out at home depot the other day. Do you know if you can attach a small saw blade for cutting scales?

Ive heard of people cutting scales with a dremel and a cutting tool. I would do it freehand, though, rather than on the stand.

The other option is to just clamp the scale material in a vise and cut it out by hand with a coping saw.

Last edited:
I live in a small apartment and don't have a place for a bench or large power tools. I was wondering if anyone else is in this situation, and what level of restorations can you do given your limited space?

Any advice on setting up a workspace, given this limitation, is appreciated.

Use hand tools and sandpaper. your trade off is going to be time. In our modern day society we want instant gratification. Take your time, if you make a mistake with hand work it is ok because you don't screw the whole thing up. People wonder how they fit the pyramids so perfect but if you are working by hand a mistake it is so minor no one will notice.

So unless you are trying to do production work and make big bucks. Take your time , enjoy the process.

Tim

P.S. I hope you don't have white carpeting.:001_smile

The little Dremel drill press attachments are a good option for those with limited space.

I have a dremel and I was just wondering yesterday if there was some way to clamp it in to place, so thanks for posting that picture... I may have to go look at one of these at some point.

Use hand tools and sandpaper. your trade off is going to be time.

Yeah, I agree with you and this is how I'm going to start out. I was thinking about down the road and how I could make it work out given the space I have to work with.

Yeah, I agree with you and this is how I'm going to start out. .

I am going to go out of town for he weekend and I suppose I beter remove my microscope and hones etc. from the end table!:001_smile I live in a "Big" house and no matter what room you have you will always want more.

tim

Top Bottom