What's new

No Problem Doing My Own Work, But--

I'm thinking the next straight razor I buy might be a Filarmonica 13 with the JOSE MONSERRAT POU signature.

I've heard the praises sung, and the hush tones under which they're discussed.

Can you great folks be nice enough to tell me why this is a must-have SR (if you're of that inclination)?

Hopefully it's something that can be described. Is it any easier to hone? Does it provide a more forgiving shave? Is Spanish Steel an undiscovered treasure?

I only know I like the looks of the implement. If the shaving characteristics are as earth shattering as the chatter, please write a brief word in this thread explaining what makes them superior.

I appreciate you all piling on all your collective knowledge. I also suppose they're not made any more--dictating the purchase of a used specimen.

Thanks, all!

I cannot speak directly about this legendary razor, because I do not have one. But I do have a couple of Filis, and I can speak about those.

Easier to hone? No. As far as I can tell, this is hard steel. Harder than Swedish razors, but softer than, say, TI's Carbonsong. I'd suggest going slow on the finishing strokes, to keep the edge comfortable.

A more forgiving shave? No. That will depend on your finishing stone, and technique, but with hard steel, you are starting from a forgiveness disadvantage, and compensating for it, which can definitely be done. The simplest way is to put a coticule edge on it.

What it will do is take a very keen edge, and keep it for a long time.

I assume you mean a first or second generation Fili 13. I own one second-generation 12 and three second-generation 13s. Well designed and well made with a reputation for straight and narrow grinds.

I personally like the 13 design as it fits my hand like a glove, and they made a quarter hollow 13 - the Medallon Taurino.

Other makers made razors from the same 13 blanks. I own a J.A. Henckels 13 that is also very nice.

Are they easier to hone? No. Do they provide a more forgiving shave? No. But you will not find a better made razor.

If you like the design and you can find one at a fair price, you should go for it.

My recommendation is to watch the market for a few weeks to understand the prices for NOS/mint, user-grade and rust buckets, and then to make your move.

I have a few and they are as described. But there has been a surge in demand for these, so they are highly priced. I also picked up a rusty beater for about $35 and had it restored. It is now a great daily driver, although no beauty queen. Apparently there were quite a few made and it is not difficult to find one in new condition (NOS). Just be patient and wait for a good price.

Had a few Fills, early production 14s..
Didn't do much for me... sold them. Literally nothing about them out of the ordinary when compared to similar blades. They were well made, sure. But not life changing. I had other 14s, Dovo, Boker, Dorko, Henckles, etc.. All pretty much the same, honestly. My Revisior 8/8 shaves as well as any of them.
Had no issue honing the Fills, I would say they were easy to hone in the sense that the grinds were good and didn't require gymnastics. I would not say they were hard to hone, or the steel was exceptionally hard, they were like good Solingens, like Dorkos etc. Felt exactly the same on the stones to me. They kept their edges well.

I can't speak to a 13, but I have had the good fortune to pick up a 14 and a recoverable rust bucket 12. In both cases, they are well made, straight forward to hone, give a great shave and, so far, tend to hold their edges well. I would agree that they are similar to a Dorko, Puma or Heljestrand in their hardness.
Filis.PNG

I agree with the above in that Filarmonicas are good razors but they do have their equals. But one thing I feel sure about is that I have never seen a bad Filarmonica while the other makers named above will turn out a poor grind here and there. So it is about good quality control. And yes, they are priced quite high.

I hate to be the fly in the ointment... I've had a few, and still have one 14. It's a nice razor, and a great shaver, but I've got a lot of nice razors that shave great.
I've never understood the fascination, quite honestly... I'll grab a Koraat any day before the Fili.

The part that surprises me is that despite the large number of them being offered for sale constantly, the prices seem to be climbing.
Do you think the prices are going up proportionally to straights in general, or more? I'm inclined to think more, but I am not in the market for Filis.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The part that surprises me is that despite the large number of them being offered for sale constantly, the prices seem to be climbing.

The price for NOS or MIB 14 razors are noticeably escalating in the US market.

13s used to be cheap, except maybe for the NIB razor of the desirable variants like Sub Cero or Novodur, but nice 13s are now going up too. NB for the noobs, the 13 is a smaller razor, it’s usually a 6/8 vs the 8/8 of some of the 14s.

13s used to be cheap, except maybe for the NIB razor of the desirable variants like Sub Cero or Novodur, but nice 13s are now going up too. NB for the noobs, the 13 is a smaller razor, it’s usually a 6/8 vs the 8/8 of some of the 14s.
I get NOS, but what is MIB/NIB?

Makes me glad I loaded up when prices were still good.

Top Bottom