What's new

No Pressure - Really? Some Pressure - Surely?

Agree, for ages I did no pressure, which led to me getting frustrated - "direct the pressure" or "light but firm touch" might be better mantras.

I cannot imagine a BBS without pressure. You can apply noticeable pressure and still have a great, irritation-free shave with a mild razor.

Reading the phrase "Shave your beard, not your face" was what made it click for me.
If I'm pushing hard enough to peel skin layers I get burn or blood.
And if light but firm pressure doesn't cut whiskers, the prep/ blade/ razor/ or lather needs a change.

Mike

There is something of an inexact trade-off between pressure and injury. Less pressure, like weight-of-the-razor pressure, is the closest thing to a sweet spot for many people, and especially for most beginners. They may be accustomed to pressing light multi-edge disposables and cartridges into their faces, and that equivalent pressure is hazardous if there is only one edge exposed on the face. Obviously the weight of the razor is itself a highly variable measure. Some are heavier than others, and some are sold based on the extra weight and length of the handle, such as the Mühle Grande models. The weight of the razor is a difficult thing to duplicate if shaving south-to-north for AGT passes. In your case, you even found where relying on the weight of the razor seemed to cause you more injury, not less.
Perhaps a better thing to say would be "easy does it", but there is no clearly defined measurement for "easy". Probably many shavers could use the weight of the razor as a guide and, as you did, add some technique modification to find their own "easy".

Top Bottom