What's new

No Powder Please

As the title suggests, I don't like baby powder scented AS. Unfortunately, I recently purchased some drugstore AS (Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, and Jade East). To me, they all smell powdery. One thing I discovered from trying these AS is that I like menthol in my AS. Speick is the only other AS I've tried and I like it; but I want some variation. I have some samples ordered from Gary's and will report back on which of those I like.

I was wondering if there is a list of AS somewhere which shows if which have menthol or not and if they smell like powder or not. Such a list would make it much easier for me to determine which AS I want to try - with menthol/without powder.

I don't think a list like that exists but if you find a non powder smelling aftershave splash that doesn't have menthol you can always mix it in your palm with some 444 balm - amazing stuff!

This one??

*EUCALYPTUS OIL: toning, purifying effect
*MENTHOL: refreshes and revitalizes
*BEARD TYPE: For every kind of beard and normal skin
*No Parabens *No Silicons *No Mineral Oils
$PRORASO AFTSHV GREEN SPLASH NEW n Logo.jpg

Hmmmm... better yet, Alt-Innsbruck: good menthol cooling effect, pleasant simple natural smell. The scent is tobacco _flower_ not leaves.

View attachment 273735

According to http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/147584-Disappointed-by-my-Alt-Innsbruck-purchase
Ingredients: At the bottom of front label: Alcohol, Aqua, Nicotiana Tabacum, Menthol. At the top of the back label: Alcohol denat., Aqua, Isopropyl Alcohol, Menthol, Parfum, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Benzoate, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Citral, Citronellol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Geraniol, Isoeugenol, Limonene, Linalool.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. What department are the menthol crystals normally in? I'm going to go to Walmart this weekend and pick some up.

I definitely want to try the alt-Innsbruck. I like the smell of the tobacco leaves (before burnt). Don't think I ever smelled the flower though.

aubrey organics' "men's stock" has a nice selection of non-powdery alternatives, "north woods" being my favorite. it's non mentholated, but still manages to provide a nice alcoholly burn. often carried @ wholefoods.

I asked my wife to pick up some menthol crystals for me while she was at Walmart last night. She came back with mentholated bath salts. I thanked her; but I am not really sure about adding salt to an AS. Is this what was meant by menthol crystals?

Thanks! Has anyone tried adding a couple drops of peppermint essential oil? To me, it looks like it may be the same thing as the menthol crystals in a liquid form.

Peppermint EO will impart a slightly different scent than menthol crystals but will give a similar cooling feeling. As The M mentioned above, Mama Bears offers menthol in a liquid form and also peppermint, a bit easier to use than the menthol crystals I think. I add the peppermint oil to my Speick ASL and it gives a nice cooling and doesn't change the smell very noticeably.

Top Bottom