What's new

No post-shave anyone?

I need at least a balm to work with; if I don't use anything, my skin will start to dry up and almost peel. Maybe if I stick to soaps with fatty ingredients, I might not need anything but I rather not test it out.

It seems easier to forgo the post-shave treatment in the warmer months. I usually would use at least witch hazel scented with a bit of lemon, lime or rosewater. I do like the nice, clean feeling, but need something in the cold weather months. Soaps with lanolin or shea butter help.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'd say maybe 50% my shaves are without any post shave. Those that are followed up with something else, may be with aftershave lotion, balm, or moisturiser. I don't decide whether or not to add anything else until the shave is done.

I’ve been doing it this way for years now. It’s simple and leaves my face nice and neutral.

I see you used Arko. I find this gives me a nice neutral post shave as long as I don’t go overboard with soap usage, not drying at all. Glad you had a good one today!

I can see why you are a fan of this neutral post-shave feel - it is really rather pleasant. Truth be told, I had forgotten that feeling because I've used aftershave for the last 5 years...

The ARKO stick is indeed very impressive and far nicer than the puck which I found quite drying.

I'd say maybe 50% my shaves are without any post shave. Those that are followed up with something else, may be with aftershave lotion, balm, or moisturiser. I don't decide whether or not to add anything else until the shave is done.
I think that is the ideal protocol. Some soaps/creams will always be a bit drying. For example, I love my Proraso Green but it definitely needs to be followed up with something post-shave.

I need at least a balm to work with; if I don't use anything, my skin will start to dry up and almost peel. Maybe if I stick to soaps with fatty ingredients, I might not need anything but I rather not test it out.
I am consistently amazed by how different we all are and what works/doesn't work for each of us. I guess we should be grateful for that variety, otherwise B&B would be a dull forum ;)

Like others here i went my entire shaving life (almost 20 years) sans aftershave until i picked up a DE razor. I tried Old Spice splash shortly after and have never looked back! Now it’s my favorite part of the shave. Honestly though, were it not for the scents and the burn (or the menthol chill) i would skip it. I don’t feel like it actually does anything for my skin.

I don’t even do a cold water since anymore unless it’s summer and hot out.

if I don’t do my part on the shave, I’ll use some alum, maybe some Speick AS.

unless I’m dressing up to go out, I don’t even use AS anymore.

For some reason my skin has a negative reaction to any kind of post shave, even the mildest one. It has nothing to do with the shave itself; I might have had the best shave ever but even if I use a non-alcohol balm it will give me some kind of irritation. It's not something major and goes away after 5 - 10 minutes but why get into a prosess that degrades the shaving experience in the first place?

What works best for me is a splash of cold water, light wiping with a towel and a tiny bit of moisturizing cream - makes the skin feel natural and refreshed.

I used to go without any post shave for a long time. Lately though I’ve been using a alum stick after a shave.

The reason for asking is that I enjoyed a simple shave today, skipped my usual post-shave item (aftershave) and my skin feels great! So much so, I will do the same for the rest of the week to see how my skin fares.
That's how it started for me. Back in July, I began shaving everyday with a Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS). After one particularly trouble-free shave, I noticed that my skin felt really refreshed and I didn't bother with my usual ASB.

That quickly became a habit and, for the past six months, I haven't used any kind of post-shave treatment other than a lukewarm water rinse. (Sorry, Scott! @Captain Pre-Capsize :blushing: )

My skin is too hungry after a shave. Especially now with DE shaving. It drinks Nivea balm like a sponge. I could get away with it for a quick 1 pass with the grain, but a full BBS shave demands some kind of lotion. And aftershave first. I love the burn.

In a word - NEVER.

Somehow, w/o an A/S, be it a splash, balm or gel, it would just feel very awkward, incomplete.
I know what you mean. Applying aftershave is, for me, instinctive. This morning I splashed some in my palm without really being aware of it! Had to use it obviously - can't let the good stuff go to waste :Veg:

I shave before I shower and I forget to apply aftershave sometimes after I’m done with the shower. When I do use aftershave, I use a lot most times I apply twice and sometimes three.

Four decades of DE and Williams Mug with no alum, witch hazel, or AS. Just rinse off. So I don't need it, but now I want it. Thanks, B&B.

And a soap rotation. And many brushes. And SE and SR...

Top Bottom