What's new

No point shaving with another razor...

Also, sometimes it's nice to change up the formats once in a while, as I've noticed that if I stick to the same razor day after day, I can sometimes get irritated after a while. It's probably carelessness on my part, but changing formats forces me to keep my mind on what I'm doing a little more instead of descending into autopilot mode.

Not really, I don't feel that way. I have some really nice razors and some that are not so nice. But I like using them all, just because they give me a different experience.
For me, shaving only with my best razor is like picking from my closet my best pair of shoes and deciding not to use any other pair.
Does this make any sense?
QRTAS
Makes perfect sense to me because I have the same method

I have a few razors I am quite happy with each time I use them. I have not, however, found my RAD killer. I enjoy the variety, so while I keep looking, I may secretly be hoping I never find "the one". But if I do find my RAD killer, I will still mix in my other little lovelies. After all, variety is the spice of life!
+1 This is the same with me. Secretly looking while assuring the wife I have found "the one" 😆 😆

A couple of my Prewar fat handle Techs are all I ever need for shaving.
Then I shave with a New SC - it's the only razor I ever need
And then I shave with the 1917 Old Type - it's the best & only razor for me
When I shave with my 1946 Super Speed, I need never use anything else
And then there's a Schick Krona ...

Life would be so very boring and repetitive without a little variety .... like the brunette next door. Or that redhead 3 doors down ... or ...

I have been shaving with a DE since 1980.
I have only had THREE DE razors during this time.
A 60s Gillette FB,a 2000 Merkur 34c and a recent Fatip Picollo.
They all shave me perfectly (in my opinion technique is what gives you a perfect daily BBS shave,not a razor or a soap anyway).
But with a gun to my head I would only keep the 34c.
It is the one that fits my hand best for some reason.

I'll stop your question there, if I may, sir. The answer to that question is yes, I find there's no point shaving with another razor other than the one I'm currently shaving with.

To answer your entire question, the answer is different. I have a few razors I am quite happy with each time I use them. I have not, however, found my RAD killer. I enjoy the variety, so while I keep looking, I may secretly be hoping I never find "the one". But if I do find my RAD killer, I will still mix in my other little lovelies. After all, variety is the spice of life!

Excellent summary. And a +1 from my end (my RAD basically has been killed by a Mühle R41 2013 though, but it is having a variety of razors that provides the joy of wet shaving).

Last edited:
From the Rockwell 6s, Merkur 34, 37c I thought a Rex Ambassador would be the final razor acquisitions. I had really good intentions of drawing the line. Instead, it just lead me to explore other adjustables, ie Fatboy, which lead me to opening vintage Gillette floodgates. Taking stock as part of September GRUME for me, the Rex is as close to the final DE razor IMO.

These days I enjoy using mild razors.
I can and have gotten great shaves with my more aggressive adjustable set on a higher setting but strangely I’ve lost interest in using them... they bore me. I like simplicity so the humble 3 piece Tech fits that very well. For almost every shave I use a ball end model. Certain times I’ll use the EJ DE86 which gives great shaves, but for some reason the Tech is my favorite. It’s my daily driver.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I own over a dozen vintage Gillettes and a few Fatip & Merkur contemporary razors but for about 6 years I've really only used one razor, a 70s Gillette Super Speed with the black handle. Not because it is "the one," but more because it's the one I'm already using, and whenever I think about changing it out for something else I decide that I couldn't be arsed.

Sadly I'm really not a very likable or agreeable man.

My RAD stopped when I got the Muhle r41. This is a true shaver! I don't need anything else unless I start working on a job with everyday shaving requirement. I feel tempted to get a Tatara Massamune set and that will definitly be the end of the path.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Since I got the GC 0.84-P solid bar I’ve sold all the rest of my razors.Muhle,Fatip,Timeless,Tatara,Karve ...All gone!

But what really killed the urge for another razor,once and for all ,was the GC 0.84-P open comb .

That‘s high praise for RazoRocks’ stuff

I've found recently that I'm only using my titanium Timeless in .68 mostly but also a little bit of the .95. I have other razors, including a Rockwell 6s that I need to try out, but for some reason I can't put the Timeless down.

Have you ever come to the conclusion that there's no point shaving with another razor other than the one you've found that consistently meets or exceeds your expectations?

Or to put it a different way, have you found a razor that has ended your search for a better one?
Yes, for daily shaving, anyway: the Rockwell 6S. Many of the high end razors are prettier, probably better made, and maybe even better shavers if I found exactly the right one. But the big advantage of the 6S is it gives you 6 plate options, of which 3, 4 and 5 work best for me, so it's right in my wheelhouse. I don't recommend the 6C, because it seems to lack the same manufacturing quality and precision, but if you're lucky to get a good one, you'll be in good shape.
My only vintage adjustable, a Gillette slim, is good with 9 adjustments (I just shaved with it on 2, which is like the Rockwell on 3) but nowhere near as smooth as the 6S. The Rex Ambassador wasn't in my wheelhouse. I haven't tried any other adjustable models. The GC might be ideal if it had as many plate options as the Rockwell or Karve. We'll see what RazoRock does. Meanwhile, I'm on a 2 year purchase sabbatical, that might become permanent.

I’m so early in my journey. I wish I could find that. My 34c is nice but not that close of a shave. A SS was rough for me. Tech is fine. I have a Razorock BBS I’ll try for the first time today, and a Rockwell 6c en route. I’d really like a .68 GC

If I considered a razor as a tool that is used to reduce the hair on my face, I could just use my as-d2 every day... But I don't. I like the challenge of mastering every razor I have. Today, I undusted my Ming Shi 2000s, just for sh*ts & giggles. I know that I'm having trouble with the area under my nose with that razor, but it's fun to try and make it work.
Same goes with blades. Sometimes I pull out one of those Sharp blades from Bangladesh, even though I know that my face will and up tomato-red... I know, I make zero sense. Guess I'm just a weirdo.

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

Top Bottom