What's new

No point shaving with another razor...

Yes I have. My vintage Gillette SS and my shiny new(er) Muhle together can handle whatever my scruffy face can throw at it.

That said, I am currently very curious to try a shavette and a Schick Injector. If I come across the right one of either (locally), it's coming home with me. Not as a slight against Rookie's perfect facial hair removal kit listed above, but because men climb mountains, sail seas, and other things I can't think of at the moment.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My Edwin Jagger DE3D14 remains my default razor, and has been for several years. I have tried a few other things, but nothing has displaces it. I'm currently enjoying trying out an IKon SBS, and am enjoying it, but the Jagger will remain the primary.

Yes - I absolutely do have thought and it lasts about a blade change or two . I'm always looking to mess with success :) and test my technique with other razors I purchased to see if I like them better now.

Hi,

I have. Since 2013. The Fasan DoubleSlant:

Although I wasn't thrilled with their handle:

And, then in 2014, a second one:

Again, a handle change.

Since the inception of the ATT S2, I wanted one of those. Put it off for years. I finally gave in back in January and bought one. I used it for two straight months and then....put it in the drawer and returned to the Fasans.

I have other razors here still. I use them once in a while. There were more, but now they are gone. The Fasans remain.

Stan

We will see! Still thinking about the specs.
Yep, me too.. I don't want to over think it too much but with 7 or 8 months to think about it.. That's difficult. In the meantime I received my tracking info for Karve and am hoping I will have my Stainless in the next couple of weeks.. Maybe that will take my mind off of it for a while???

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Yep, me too.. I don't want to over think it too much but with 7 or 8 months to think about it.. That's difficult. In the meantime I received my tracking info for Karve and am hoping I will have my Stainless in the next couple of weeks.. Maybe that will take my mind off of it for a while???

Oh wow! Good for you. My Charcoal Goods LvL2 has been impressive. Three shaves with it and its the closest shaver I have bar none. Good luck with the Karve.

Have you ever come to the conclusion that there's no point shaving with another razor other than the one
I'll stop your question there, if I may, sir. The answer to that question is yes, I find there's no point shaving with another razor other than the one I'm currently shaving with.

To answer your entire question, the answer is different. I have a few razors I am quite happy with each time I use them. I have not, however, found my RAD killer. I enjoy the variety, so while I keep looking, I may secretly be hoping I never find "the one". But if I do find my RAD killer, I will still mix in my other little lovelies. After all, variety is the spice of life!

My Schick Krona killed my RAD. I still have a New SC for when I don't shave for several days, and a birth year/quarter Super Speed for nostalgia and to change things up occasionally, but I'm getting rid of all my others.
Good you mentioned the Krona. I have several, and one in particular that I use when evaluating a new blade that just doesn't seem to work well with my usual 1917 Old Type / New SC / 46 Super Speed / Prewar Tech test rotation. If it won't shave well in the Krona, the blade's not worth having.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
There are some razor types I'm not too engaged with: injectors, regular DE and adjustables. More on that in a moment...

I quit looking for "One Razor To Shave Them All" when I realized that was just a recipe for frustration. Within types, I've found some that pretty much set the high-mark for me:

Best Modern Gem Shave: Blackland Sabre L2
Best Vintage Gem Shave: Ever Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher"
Best Quirky DE Shave: Wardonia
Best Slant DE Shave: Above the Tie S2, just barely ahead of RazoRock Wunderbar
Best AC SE Shave: RazoRock Hawk V3 OC

I've got three formats; I don't need four so for now injectors are not on my list. More for you guys!

Regular DE just seems so...well...regular to me. With connotations of "boring" but without actually saying the quiet part out loud. [grin] I've been considering a RazoRock BBS, but that's just buying for sport to try it on. I started thinking about making a slant, and realized that I should make a regular DE first. Less fiddly and I'm working to pretty broad tolerances.

When I started out I thought about buying an adjustable. I had a Merkur 38C to start, and was eying up the Progress in the same shop. It's seductive: buy one razor that theoretically should fit whatever you need because you can tune it precisely. Then I realized I could save a hundred bucks by just working on my technique, which is a personal thing and not intended to be a general comment on why anyone would buy an adjustable.

I'm lucky; I can use a non-adjustable razor and get good shaves without having to "pump up the suspension" to get over rough spots. My problem with adjustables is that they are regular DE except for the Walbush B5 or injectors I don't use. But I'm a gearhead, and I find a well-made adjustable about as sexy as a razor can be.

For the most part I've accumulated a sufficient group of razors that I never have to wonder what I'm going to use in the morning. So except for the sudden find or the hidden treasure I'm not out prowling looking for that one last model and year razor to complete my "Every Razor Z Company Ever Made" collection.

O.H.

I'm using a Gillette Super Blue (modern Tech, basically) almost exclusively because right out of the gate, I was getting shaves equal to or better than my Hawk, which was my "I need my face to be glassy smooth" razor.

Does that mean I've given up on using my Hawk or my Trac II?

Nope.

The Trac II will always have a place with me as a travel razor, assuming we will ever be able to travel as we did pre-2020, and for mornings when I'm really in a hurry and just need to shave and be done with it.

Likewise, I love my Hawk and will probably be switching to it after I use up my current stock of DE blades (awaiting resupply of some Super Blues).

My KCG is the most likely candidate for removal from the regular shave rotation, but it is really a nice razor. I'll probably use it as a change-of-pace.

Top Bottom