What's new

No open comb "head" for me?

I've been lusting after an open comb style head lately...I think they look damn sexy!

It got me thinking... wouldn't it be great if I could attach one to my Merkur 34g....

I saw an open comb head from Merkur sold separately, but I assume nothing exists for the two-piece style?

Please tell me I'm wrong!

You'd need another handle to go on the open comb head. Most any modern razor handle will be interchangeable across different razor heads (with the exception of Fatip and some older vintage razors).

The Merkur open comb head is really mild, BTW. You might like to look around at some of the other open comb head choices while you are at it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You could pick up a Gillette New or Old Type off eBay. They are reasonably priced or place a WTB in the BST Forum.

Merkur don't make an open comb two piece razor like the 34. The 41C is a three piece which you may consider.
The open comb Fatip range are all brass construction and are also worth considering.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Merkur don't make an open comb two piece razor like the 34
Well, they used to up until about 2010, called the 11C. Here's a pic of an old Merkur 11

full

11C (chrome plated, longer bullets) and vintage model 11(silver plated)

full

They made one in the past. Open comb head on HD handle (Model 11c). Discontinued about ten years ago.
Great razor, too! Not as wimpy as the three piece open comb.

Get a Gillette New short or long comb, or better yet: both..... they usually run inexpensive and are very good shavers. I personally love open comb razors but the Merkur is really not good for me.....too mild...... If you look for sales, maybe find a Fatip for cheap.....

For what its worth, my Parker 26C (store pic here, not mine) I found to be a smooth, but aggressive razor, too much so for me. My current slim is comfortable around 7, 8 if I'm careful. It's 9 is too aggressive, but I still found 9 a bit less aggressive than the 26C, if that comparison helps any. It's a 3 piece, and personally I found it a bit prone to clogging, BUT, that was mostly when doing legs that had a fair bit of growth, to be fair to the razor. Not something guys are as likely to run into unless they are tackling a 3-4 day beard.

Well, they used to up until about 2010, called the 11C. Here's a pic of an old Merkur 11

full

11C (chrome plated, longer bullets) and vintage model 11(silver plated)

full

Great razor, too! Not as wimpy as the three piece open comb.
Damn - I'm too late!

I was hoping to find an open comb "head" to pop on my 34g - would be so easy for a good experiment. Maybe I'll keep my eyes open on the bay.

Thank you for the info!

Top Bottom