What's new

No notch Gillettes. What's wrong with me?

Since finding a 41 Ranger Tech right here off B&B.
I seem to be smitten with no notch Gillettes?

I found a 47 Super Speed yesterday, cleaned it and shaved with it and, Dang! I like it. Just as I do the Ranger.

So this morning cruzin around ebay, what do I find? A cheap priced 1947 Super Speed that appears to be in good condition.
So yep I grabbed it! Will see how it turns out once it arrives.

So what is wrong with me?? 5 regular SS"s, 6 techs, now three no notch gillettes, numerous Star DE's.

But these No notch Gillettes, Something about them has caught my eye! I like!!

87B05061-EB5F-4017-B3E4-4305836752D1.jpeg

F01E7A9B-C6A8-49FD-BC29-2776103197B2.jpeg

My question is, how is the blade more secure in a notchless design? I don't have a mechanically minded brain so it doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't know what a "no notch" Gillette is.... I mean.. I'm sure it has no notch but I don't know what that means.

On the "notched" razors, the side edges of the center bar have a notch, near the top. The idea was, you push a blade out of the pack with your thumb, then hook the blade onto the notch, and pull it the rest of the way out of the pack. The blade would settle down into the razor base plate, and the user would twist the razor closed.

I believe the older razors, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, did not have the notches, hence, "no notch".

Did that make sense?

My question is, how is the blade more secure in a notchless design? I don't have a mechanically minded brain so it doesn't make any sense to me.

You are not alone, I too have no idea. Possibly that the notches may allow the blade to move? Just a guess.

You are not alone, I too have no idea. Possibly that the notches may allow the blade to move? Just a guess.
That doesn't make sense to me as the notches are just for easy loading from from Gillette's pack of blades. The blade still sits at the bottom on the plate same as it does, notchless. I don't have a notchless razor so I can't measure the length of that column but I bet it's the same in both razor designs.

That doesn't make sense to me as the notches are just for easy loading from from Gillette's pack of blades. The blade still sits at the bottom on the plate same as it does, notchless. I don't have a notchless razor so I can't measure the length of that column but I bet it's the same in both razor designs.

Right. Without actually loading one of my notched razors and examining the blade location on the center bar, I was making a WAG (Wild A** Guess). 😄

The razor on the right is the notched design, the one on the left is without the notch.

View attachment 1548904
Yes, great pic. Thanks. But it still doesn't answer the question as to how and why the no-notch razor would be expected to shave any differently from the notched version.
Seems to me that the place where the blade sits should be exactly the same in both models, and that, therefore, they should shave the same.

It appears to me the no notch razors would hold the blade more securely.
no notch 1.jpg

The Super Speed on the left is a '48-'50 (notched no date code). The one on the right is a '46-'47. Note how the tabs sticking out from the center bar engage the blade, those tabs are missing from the notched versions.
no notch 2.jpg

Hey @Rayotech, check out this '41 Ranger. I haven't been able to find much info on it at all. A couple mentions that they exist is about it. When I bought it there was no mention of the fact that some of it hadn't been plated, I'd like to know more. Enjoy the rabbit hole! :thumbup:

As I don't own a notchless razor and don't expect to buy one, I'll never know first hand but I bet there's zero movement either way if the razor is 100% and you've tightened it down correctly. If those tabs are off just a little, that could cause a problem. Wonder why Gillette dropped them on the notched razors?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Until I saw @Rayotech 's photo yesterday, as I mentioned, I was unaware there was a design difference between the Vintage TTOs. I just checked both the ones I have: the British Rocket HD 500 and my birth year/quarter razor, the Super Speed Y2 (Second quarter 1953) and they are both notched.

I don't think I'm going to lose any sleep over this one.... But I like knowing about it. Some razors have wings... others? not so much. <eg>

I just went and popped a blade in to my notched Aristocrat. When the razor is open, there is minuscule movement of the blade, minuscule. With the doors closed and tightened, there is zero movement. My feeling is unless you're a collector who wants the earlier notchless design, this is a Seinfeld subject. ;)

Top Bottom