What's new

No more obesity for me

Good for you. I lost 63 lbs right after high school. That took about a year and I did it by no carbs to low carbs and lots of cardio. That was way back in 1992 and have put on 15-20 lbs since but I need to get back down also.
I think soda is the real killer along with junk food. I still have carbs but they are in normal every day foods like pasta, breads and fruits.

I'm working on losing weight myself, I'm finding this thread motivational to helping stay on track. I wonder if it could be made into a sticky for weight loss success stories?

I used to drink a 20 oz soda with lunch and usually a can at dinner as well. I stopped drinking it almost completely a few years ago and replaced it with water. I lost 20 pounds in one year with no other diet changes. I think I actually ate more pizza and drank more beer during that time and still lost the 20 pounds. For anybody looking to drop a few pounds that's defniitely a good place to start if you drink a lot of soda.

Its also food these days. They pump the meat, fish and chicken full of chemicals. People also eat out more than they did years ago. I try to eat healthy when we eat at restaurants. I am not a health nut by any means but I try my best to stay away from fries and stuff like that.

ugh gotta loose some weight here as well, i lost quite a few back in 2nd year uni but startin to gain some back now. I had a 3hr break between classes and i spent the entire 3 hrs at the school gym everyday for a full 2 semmester. Went from size 42pants to 32(i had pants anywhere from 30-24), at 34 size right now, just need to get back in the gym. Iam thinking of getting a dog actually as a running partner.

EDIT: My mother has this book about how French women never get fat. The French cook with lots of butter and eat lots of white bread, so this may be surprising, but they also stop eating when they are full.

People who aren't fat, stop eating when they are full.

People who are skinny, eat slowly, and stop eating when they are no longer hungry.

There is a massive difference there. I spend most of my day, comfortable with being hungry - and even then I am about 14lb over my preferred weight. And about 20lb over my weight when I was at my fittest - realising that muscle weighs more than fat, that's saying quite a bit (my lean mass is probably less than it was then even though I weigh more).

We become "hungry", and have a relatively larger stomach than we need, to help us prepare for the coming famine. When was the last famine in USA? :confused1 The Great Depression (1930?)? It was an economic famine rather than a "there is no food" famine. So I'm guessing the last time large chunks of USA were actually short of food for extended periods of time was well over 100 years ago.

Congratulations Matt.

I am trying myself to drop some body fat without losing too much weight (muscle). It's not easy to do so I applaud your success.

Good on you, man! Great stuff.

I initially lost about 80 lbs after I got up to over 300 in college (I'm 6'6", so the range is a little higher than most).

But went form 305 to 225 in about 11 months, since then became interested in powerlifting and started playing basketball again. Now I'm about 265 and still as lean as I was at 225 (I'm working down to about 245 to play basketball faster, and to jump higher, gotta love dunking). Also, I'm way stronger and look better in my clothes (though if your chest is bigger than your waist, you will have to get every coat, suit, pair of pants tailored to fit properly).

I have to disagree with the raw veggie comment. Cook your veggies (no need to obliterate them). Humans digestive system can't break down the cellulose in the plants efficiently. Steam or sautee and you're golden.

I have to disagree with the raw veggie comment. Cook your veggies (no need to obliterate them). Humans digestive system can't break down the cellulose in the plants efficiently. Steam or sautee and you're golden.

Agreed, but with the provisos that while cooked is sometimes better than raw vegetables, both are better than NOT eating vegetables.

Remember, for the average person we're talking about replacing junk food with healthy snacks. Cooked veggies are good with meals, but for eating 'on the go' raw chopped vegetables are more convenient. An either is better than a cookie or chips.

Congrats!

I'm 6'2" and was once 275 lbs. I got disgusted with myself there and started to eat healthy, lift weights and workout.

I'm now at 195 lbs and around 7-9% bodyfat. It is actually amazing what I can eat now and still maintain my look. Increasing muscle mass works wonders and really helps with a balanced diet.

I did the same thing almost two years ago. Went to the dr, and weight was about 245, too much for my 6'1" frame, plus blood sugar and triglycerids had been creeping up over the previous three years.

He gave me a diet, which I glanced at an threw away.

I told the wife whole grain only, brown rice vs white, we had been using whole grain bread for years so a non issue there. We decided to go whole grain pasta, and no potatoes.

The first test was when she made some soup from a mix that had a lot of pasta. I took a bowl and carefully removed each piece of white pasta, which turned out to be over a cupfull in a soupbowlful. That was when she realized I was serious, and asked if I would eat some of the potatoes she had bought a few days earlier. My response was no.

I started walking about 3 miles a day 4-5 days a week and in 6 months had dropped 65 lbs. I have not been able to keep the walking to that level but the weight seems to be staying off. I had to get all my pants tailored to a new waistline, I went from a snug 42 down to a 38.

Blood glucose levels remain a bit high, my dr says that's probably genetics, and looking at some aunts and couisns, it's probably so. Triglycerides are roughly 1/3 the level of when I started.

I think I have only had a french fry maybe twice in that time, no potatoe salads or baked potatoe. White rice a few times when we go to a Cajun resturant ( got to spurge sometime), otherwise its brown and whole wheat, plus a lot of fresh fruit. I had never drank soda type drinks, and drink my tea and coffee unsweetened.

It can be accomplished, you just have to map out your plan and stick to it. For me sticking to it has not been difficult, just deciding on a lifestyle change.

Started current job 14 months ago, had come down from 242 to 189. nOw at 235!!!! All of this on a five foot almost 9 inch frame!! people say they do not think i look that heavy, that i carry it well. But i will be 43 on monday, and just had to by a pair of size 40 jeans to tide me over! I graduated high school at 119!!!!:w00t: Would like to see 165-170, i would be about a 32, with a 44 coat. currently wear a 48/50 for suit coat.

Started current job 14 months ago, had come down from 242 to 189. nOw at 235!!!! All of this on a five foot almost 9 inch frame!! people say they do not think i look that heavy, that i carry it well. But i will be 43 on monday, and just had to by a pair of size 40 jeans to tide me over! I graduated high school at 119!!!!:w00t: Would like to see 165-170, i would be about a 32, with a 44 coat. currently wear a 48/50 for suit coat.

Seriously, try the low carb route. Eliminate refined sugars, meaning sodas, adding sugar to anything,, prepared deserts, and basically anything "white"

Go with whole grains. Eat all the fresh fruit you want, as well as vegetables, cooked or raw. I still ate all the meats & cheese that I wanted.

Start getting some exercise, take stairs instead of elevators, walk extra distances. In other words think about what you can do consistantly to burn calories.

I had almost identical weight loss, but I am carrying mine on a 6'1"frame so can carry the weight a little better.

What has made me happiest is keeping it off, and really it has not been that hard, I just committed to the lifestyle/diet changes and stuck with them.

Top Bottom