What's new

No Merkur Blades for me :(

Well after a couple weeks of near perfect shaves with a feather, I decided to try a Merkur blade this morning...

Oh my did that not go well... :scared:

I have more irritation than ever, I got a couple nicks, and it was painful to do around my chin, tugging and pulling way too much. I didn't even bother with the last pass

Now I'm torn between just going back to the feather's immediately or giving the Merkur's another chance... I don't know

well from what I've read there should be completelly different method using Merkurs and Feathers as the merkurs are not so sharp .... give it another try but you would be the first one (if even) to like Merkurs after trying Feathers

The Merkurs are fairly good for me, but I have a pretty light beard. So far, I think my favorites are Derbys and Israelis.

I will try my first Feather, tonight. I'm actually a little afraid of it. :redface:

Tim

I want to try Feathers as well ... but first have to find a site wherefrom it is possible to order in UK :wink2:

kuzmo said:
I want to try Feathers as well ... but first have to find a site wherefrom it is possible to order in UK :wink2:

Contact Rene (SSLStudio here at B&B) he sells Feather within Europe.. He one of the good guys..

I have yet to try the feather...but I have tried Derbys (along with red pack Personnas, and various drugstore blades, and such).

The Derby seems to be a more forgiving blade than the Merkurs, in that I can rush things, and apply more pressure than I should, and still get a great shave.

The Merkurs however, are bar none the best at dealing with the very dense and thick hairs on my chin and upper lip. However, it's a blade I found I have to really take my time with to use right, or I will be bleeding pretty badly when done.

the merkurs have fallen out of favor to so many other good blades that i don't see them being bought too often, maybe just when someone buys a new DE for the first time and needs to get blades for it. i personally rank the wal-mart blades over merkur.

I went back to feather's today and had a much better experience. Still a little redness left over from yesterday, but it's better.

I am no fan of the Merkur blades, myself. Until a few weeks ago, I used a Gillette Tech, said to be among the least aggressive DE's ever made. I tend to believe that, as I could only reach consitently good results when using a Feather blade.

Wanting to try a different razor, but something comparable to the Gillette Tech, I purchased a Merkur HD from Lee's Razors. Lee recommended the Derby Extra blades, so I purchased some from him. Since the HD is a bit more aggressive, I've been able to acheive great results from the Derbys... something I could not do when using my Gillette Tech. So yesterday, I decided to try a Merkur blade, hoping for more of the same. Not so! I got a seemingly smooth shave, but it ended with irritation.

My advice: try a sampler pack from LetterK, and stick with what works! If you can acheive consistently good results with the Feathers... stick with the Feathers! If you can acheive those same results with the less expensive Derbys, by all means, use the Derbys... you'll have more $ to spend on that new brush, new cream, or whatever else you THINK you just HAVE to have! :smile:

Tried the Merkur blades for the first time last night. To early to judge, and it was a fast shave, and I've still got some left over irratation from being a little to ambistious this weekend. Will report when more experiance is gained.

My job took me to Dusseldorf, twice, in the last year. I learned never to doubt the superiority of German engineering (that's why VW's don't have dipsticks). So when I ordered the Merkur Classic, I could only conceive of putting Merkur blades in it.

I guess I'm blessed with good skin...been using the combo for about two weeks and finally getting the technique down. At first, I was amazed how bad the shave was and had to follow up with the Fusion (there, I said it! And I don't feel to bad about it :w00t: ) But then I studied the forums, here, and discovered the multi-pass techniques. I must have started conservative, because I never had any skin problems...just had to work on the technique. This morning, I got a good shave, but also my first "weepers". I think because I recovered the section without relathering, trying to improve my technique.

The Fusion is still in drawer, but it's getting more dust. :wink2:

Peace,
Jim

The Merkur blades seem to be less than optimal for me. After the shaves Ive been getting from the Feathers and Derbys, the Merkurs seem marginal.

In a nutshell it all depends on what your beard hair & skin is like. Feathers are too sharp if you have soft & smooth skin like myself (no boasting intended). Then again, if you've got skin like leather, have a five o'clock shadow by ten in the morning, and then start looking like Benny from Abba come half-past three, then you're gonna need the feathers.

i've only ever used merkurs. i purchased an extra set of blades when i purchased my razor so i've only ever used them in my futur. it is hit and miss as to the results i achieve with them. sometimes its the best ever shave, but then on others you question why you bother, especially when they are straight out of the wrapper! very inconsistent.

i'm thinking of investing in the sampler pack to see which would suit, but i would also like to try the tesco blades. one thing of note is that the merkurs do seem to be a bit 'dull'.

Top Bottom