What's new

No mention November?

Salutations brothers of nostalgia,
As hopefully all of you know, just a few days away is November. And with that, the dreaded no shave trend. I'd never really cared about it one way or the other, but since the undertaking of this bladed hobby, I've developed a love and passion for my routine.
But I have also never tried to grow a beard and feel that maybe I'd like to see how awful I look with one, which could possibly add an even further appreciation for the art of face hacking. Please don't burn me at the stakes for this, but I have decided that I'll give the beard a try. I'm quite hesitant about not being able to use my SRs for a whole month, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.
The reason for this post was to see if anyone is joining me, and we can help support each other through this tragic time. I'm posting a before picture of myself at this very moment (at work) because I had shaved this morning, and will be posting a picture after the month is over, so we can all share in the dismay. I encourage any and everyone to post before and after pictures with me. We can do this together!:bored:
$before november.jpg

I will be passing and not not shaving this year. I stopped a few years ago when the last time I had a beard (goatee) it came in as white as santa claus.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I will be passing and not not shaving this year. I stopped a few years ago when the last time I had a beard (goatee) it came in as white as santa claus.
Ditto. Who is that old man I see in the mirror with the white whiskers?!?!

The last time I went without shaving (mustache only) was in Vietnam. Once I got back, I shaved it off at the first opportunity and have been clean-shaven ever since.

Not for me
Last year when I was recovering at home from a hip replacement, I could only stand the pain of standing up to shave 1-2 times per week, usually on one of the days that I changed the dressings.
It was unbelievably itchy, and made me feel so scruffy and grubby that I haven't gone more than 38 hours without shaving ever since

[MENTION=86644]Runnin_Ute[/MENTION] and [MENTION=109962]FarmerTan[/MENTION] - white hair is the color experience, I think you should embrace it. I'll be the first to say clean shaven is most admirable, especially at the later ages, but don't let the color of the hair detour you from a little "mixing things up" :tongue_sm

Not this year, just started heavily into straights.... I don't want to loose momentum. I'll miss growing a beard, I've always enjoyed it.

The last time I went without shaving (mustache only) was in Vietnam. Once I got back, I shaved it off at the first opportunity and have been clean-shaven ever since.
i'm the opposite, Army wouldn't let me have facial hair so after Vietnam, when i got out of the army i grew my mustache, have had it ever since.

there's always a plan B.

I am just ending my days with the Army National Guard. Last official day is Monday, but my beard started the day after the October drill. It will stay until Spring.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I wouldn't have a decent looking beard in a month! I'm a slow grower, I'm afraid. Good luck, Maybe you'll look like Toothpick here soon!

Kindly,
Adam

[MENTION=86644]Runnin_Ute[/MENTION] and [MENTION=109962]FarmerTan[/MENTION] - white hair is the color experience, I think you should embrace it. I'll be the first to say clean shaven is most admirable, especially at the later ages, but don't let the color of the hair detour you from a little "mixing things up" :tongue_sm
I have kept the mustache since 1981. I just don't like how much older the all white beard makes me look.

Hi,

I have never liked a beard. Talk about annoying! The longest I ever went without shaving was a 2-week period fighting a nasty fire in Yellowstone back in the late 1980s. I couldn't wait until I finally had an opportunity to shave that nasty thing off....

So, no. I will never play the November beard game.

Stan

Nothing tragic or aweful about having a beard. I have had a full beard for almost 4 months now. Still need to trim the neck up.

Unfortunately for me, my GF really likes a beard, so around mid-October of every year I give in, oil and put up the straits and just stop shaving. One year I made it until Christmas. Last year I thought I would try something new and get everything honed up and in ship-shape for when I *do* shave again; that did not work at all; started shaving a week before Thanksgiving! I will say that going two months or so without shaving makes that moment when you put stropped blade to lathered face for the first time o-so-sweet, and it can be really fun to shave off two month’s growth with something that isn’t battery operated. This year if I can make it through these tough times I’m going to reward myself by buying anew guitar amp. That’s how I see it.

@Runnin_Ute and @FarmerTan - white hair is the color experience, I think you should embrace it. I'll be the first to say clean shaven is most admirable, especially at the later ages, but don't let the color of the hair detour you from a little "mixing things up" :tongue_sm

I agree. I have had a moustache since about 1970. I'm 65 now and my goatee, which I started on last March, and moustache are mostly white with some black patches on the jaw. Kind of a salt & pepper effect.

tempting, I'll face all that struggle with hair dryer and since winter is coming I'm not fan of wet hair during a winter, hair dryer will take more space in my sports bag. I could be called wth degratory terms in the end of the november.
But why not.
Here's my plan. I have shaved today, so next 3 days I'll let my beard grow, on 3rd day I'll cut it with hair clippers without guard. I've found out by doing this there is no itching, beard grows more evenly and feels better because of cutting angle.
And my DE is broken so I'm with you. But I'm not a fan of putting pictures of me online :blushing:

Last edited:
Sorry [MENTION=73682]August West[/MENTION] I didn't mean to intrude on your already started thread. I just checked the "new post section and didn't see any up about it, so I started one. Apologies, all credit to you. Thanks for the link.
[MENTION=103846]KeenDogg[/MENTION] - Im with you there. I do not have much growth AND it doesn't come in very fast, so I am not even sure if I can grow a real beard, I've just never tried, and never in my life gone a month without trimming what was on my face before I started shaving. Doesn't mean you can't get in on this action with me! [MENTION=93450]Zach[/MENTION] - Why didn't it go well when you put everything away honed and ready for when you would shave? Because that is the approach I was going to take. I stropped and oiled my straights, and was not going to mess with them until it was time to shave again. What went wrong? Did they dull just by sitting?? should I strop them on a semi-regular basis as I would with normal shaving? Please let me know, or PM me with the info. [MENTION=92126]Bookie[/MENTION] - Atta-boy!! I don't blame you with not posting your pictures online, the world is insane now. Someone is probably making a mask of my face right now and going to steal my identity. Better take my marker off the member map, lol. But I figured, oh well, can't be much different than having a picture of myself on my profile. What type of beard do you think you'll have at the end of the month?

Top Bottom