What's new

No matter how inexhaustible resources may seem

i'm not sure about exhaustible. in the short term, yes, we can easily use up the space and materials contained here on earth, but many people have observed and wondered at the limitless universe which we inhabit, and to my mind, intelligent use of resources is one thing, but most things done habitually as a species will lead to exhaustion of material at this point, we are that numerous on the planet. the questions what is out there, how can we get there, what will it be like when we get there, how will we survive a strange environment? are forward propelling and ultimately fruitful pursuits. the conservatism of today's politics leads ultimately to stagnation. i lament that we as a species can be responsible for other species extinction, but were it not for that same process, we would not have evolved at all, and realistically, evolution is the only mechanism that can propel life forwards. the number of species theorized to have existed without leaving a trace number far more than those we have found fossils for, and we assume natural causes, but a species filling an area and better assimilating the energy of said area is natural causes by evolutionary standards, and i'd say what we do fits that description fairly well. some other good questions that come to mind: what are we evolving into? whom are we making space for? what does earth look like a thousand years from now? ten thousand? million? billion?

Human beings are a pretty smart, adaptable species. I'd like to believe that, as a species, humans would avoid some of the problems associated with resource depletion...but somewhere along the line, resources won't be able to support such a large human population. (Especially water.) At the very least, there won't be sufficient materials to support our present standards of living.

Do some reading, and you'll find out that some populations in some stressed areas are starting to die out.

:blush:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If they wanted to stick around, they should have developed an opposing thumb and firearms.

I just saw something about this over the weekend, on CBS Sunday Morning I believe, I'm assuming the OP did as well. It was quite interesting, and one of the most perplexing parts of the story was regarding the efforts to "un-extinct" the species. They are planning to use the DNA of preserved Carrier Pigeons along with another pigeon of close genetic make-up to recreate and repopulate them. It was stated that it's not a matter of if they do this, it's a matter of when. I think it is an amazing testament to human intelligence and scientific development that makes this a possibility, and all the other benefits that could be achieved with this technology. On the other hand, it scares the hell out of me that we would/can mess with nature like this without a crystal ball to see the possible disastrous/unintended results that could follow.

It will almost undoubtedly be a disaster. Life is too complex to understand all of the variables, and these scientists seem to like to futz around with stuff just because they can.

Genetically modified foods? Hmm, good idea to make something more hearty and robust (not to mention higher yield $$$) Too bad we werent designed to eat genetically modified foods. "Opps, we didn't think of that part..."

"Destined" as defined by us, perhaps, but not otherwise.

I'm afraid we're writing ourselves that same destiny.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm afraid we're writing ourselves that same destiny.

And that too, is the circle of life.
Life goes on and on into the future.
Whether we play a part in that future is not guaranteed.
We may wind up with a world where cockroaches are the dominant species. If so, they will have proven themselves to be the most resilient.

And that too, is the circle of life.
Life goes on and on into the future.
Whether we play a part in that future is not guaranteed.
We may wind up with a world where cockroaches are the dominant species. If so, they will have proven themselves to be the most resilient.

This^^

George Carlin did a very good job at explaining this very thing. Search YouTube for " George Carlin on the environment ". I'd post it but there's cursing.

Scientists have only got part of the whole world view of evolutionary science.

We have often seen a depiction of an evolutionary tree such as this:

proxy.php

But what scientists, conservation activists and regular old Joe Shmoes don't realize is that is only part of the BIG PICTURE.

What is actually going on is more of a playoff picture:

proxy.php

We are all vying for the Top Spot. The NCAA World Evolutionary Championship!!

Passenger Pigeons, DoDo birds and the like were the JV teams that washed out early.

Some teams that were counted out early in the playoffs, surprised by popping up again no worse for wear. Yes, team Coelacanth, we're still pulling for you!

Cockroaches are heavily favored on the Vegas line, but so are bacterium and pond scum. Humans are a about even money on making it to the Final Four if they can simply focus on taking out other species instead of the constant infighting that has often plagued Team Human's locker room..

In the end, there can be only one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom