What's new

No Lathe Handle Making WIP

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Ahh. I’m not sure what is used on the blocks. Danish oil maybe? I think that can make the wood hard as it turns in to a polymer.

I’m just assuming thats why it is harder than you are use too, it might be treated with something. Hope you wear a respirator while sanding.

Anyway it’s shaping up to be really nice.

Ahh. I’m not sure what is used on the blocks. Danish oil maybe? I think that can make the wood hard as it turns in to a polymer.

I’m just assuming thats why it is harder than you are use too, it might be treated with something. Hope you wear a respirator while sanding.

Anyway it’s shaping up to be really nice.
It was professionally stabilized at Knife and Gun...Blackwood...Snakewood and Arizona Ironwood are the only woods I will use that aren't Stabilized.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Stabilized! That’s the word I’m looking for. That means it was injected with resin. So it’s definitely harder than normal. Sounds like you know that though.

I betcha Knife & Gun can tell you what kind of wood it is since they stabilized it. I don’t see Tamarind on their website but I didn’t look too hard.

Stabilized! That’s the word I’m looking for. That means it was injected with resin. So it’s definitely harder than normal. Sounds like you know that though.

I betcha Knife & Gun can tell you what kind of wood it is since they stabilized it. I don’t see Tamarind on their website but I didn’t look too hard.
I didn't purchase from them...They do a majority of wood stabilizing for wood Purveyors in the knife community.

63C0A39E-DA08-46EC-A8DC-4509CAF56C8D.jpeg

Looks pretty similar to this one maybe?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I don't believe it is Maple...It is extremely hard compared to any other Maple I have worked with...I thought it was Tamarind when I was purchasing it,but I don't think it is that either.
It surely looks like spalted Tamarind.

proxy.php

So today I finished this guy. This was my first attempt at making a handle and setting a knot. It’s layered g-10 and a 30mm sinbad knot from APShave co. Don’t have a lathe so I shaped it freehand with a 2”x72” belt sander similar to the op. Can’t wait to test it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
proxy.php

So today I finished this guy. This was my first attempt at making a handle and setting a knot. It’s layered g-10 and a 30mm sinbad knot from APShave co. Don’t have a lathe so I shaped it freehand with a 2”x72” belt sander similar to the op. Can’t wait to test it out!

Beautiful!

proxy.php

That looks great. You should start a separate thread to show it off. I think more people would see it that way.

Top Bottom