What's new

No Jack or Spare Tire?!?!

I carry a plug kit and a Viair looking clone in my travel trailer. The plug kit probably came from Walmart and cost less than 10 bucks. The compressor came from eBay and I would guess wasn't much more than $20.00. I don't remember exactly. I have had it 8 years. It has never failed to work.

I carry plugs and a small compressor in one of my motorcycles. The compressor was about 5 bucks. I took the plastic housing off and just kept the pump and cord. I have plugged several tires for others on bike trips with it over the past 20 years.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I guess if a tire gets damaged beyond repair you are out of luck.

I had some people knock on my door a couple of nights ago and asked if they could use a jack and tire iron. I let them use my hydraulic jack and four way.

After about 45 minutes they were still at the end of my driveway. I drove down there and their tire had came off the rim and they said they still didn't have the tools they needed and had someone coming. They finally got it fixed.

If you are relying on fix-a-flat in that situation you'd better have the number to a reliable wrecker service.

Tires are so reliable that I am not sure carrying a spare is needed if living in an urban area. My 20+ year old vehicle still has its original spare tire. It is mounted to a steel rim which has rusted. I would try to use it if out in the country, but in the city I would use my mobile phone to call a tow truck.

Regarding those fix-a-flat temporary fixes, do they leave any residue behind which may interfere with balancing the new replacement tire?

I also have full size spare
And it's a newis car Ranult Senic 2015
Tire is below trunk, I pull a lever and spare falls down under the car

DIY tire rotation with off road jack, double pin jack stands, full sized spare tire swap (5 tire rotation).

16y old did 90% off it. In and out, with a few hiccups, 40min.

Oil change will be our fall project as we want to start doing those ourselves too.

PXL_20230710_155902977.jpg

I drove for AAA along time ago, you would be surprised how many people buy cars without knowing if it has a spare. Some people even thought since the tires were new they wouldn't go flat for any reason. I explained to one lady that hitting a metal curb/storm drain with her sidewall of the tire, tearing it to shreds this was normal. Her and her husband that showed up in another new SUV disagreed and insisted I tow it back to the dealership lol.

I drove for AAA along time ago, you would be surprised how many people buy cars without knowing if it has a spare. Some people even thought since the tires were new they wouldn't go flat for any reason. I explained to one lady that hitting a metal curb/storm drain with her sidewall of the tire, tearing it to shreds this was normal. Her and her husband that showed up in another new SUV disagreed and insisted I tow it back to the dealership lol.

I remember calling for a Tow on a New Volkswagen with less than 1,300 Mile on the speedometer, the car was being picked up, and impounded on a Writ of Execution over a Small Claims Court Judgement.

The reason I called for tow was the inside of vehicle was destroyed, smell like a slaughter house, the outside was trashed with dent & scratches on every body panel.

I feared if I drove the vehicle to impound d I would ruin a tan color uniform, that would be on me to replace. Towing was my option.

It alway amazed me how some people lived, took car of their vehicles, and it seem that these same people always had civil legal troubles, and could careless about their predicament.

Tow truck drivers have some great stories I am sure about people and dumb things they do.

This thread made me realize that I should have a tire plug kit in my car which I have added and store with my compressor. For longer trips I think I will bring along my impact wrench to make a tire change much less strenuous should it be necessary. My Civic is old so I do at least have a small donut spare.

I have been doing my own oil changes for about 15 years now, ever since I decided prices were getting out of hand. I can only imagine what they must be now. In 2019 I bought an oil pan drain plug replacement valve (Fumoto) and ever since my oil changes have been tool-less. I put on my own filters hand tight so I can take off my own filters with my hands only. Funny how that works. And thanks to the drain valve I no longer need any wrenches, ratchets or torque wrenches. I just open and close the valve. Still need the jack and jack stands of course but that's it. Okay okay, I also use a headlamp so I can see better under the car.

Here is the Fumoto valve. It works very well and doesn't leak.

Fumoto valve.jpg

@velocityboy we have a ValvoMax waiting to put on.

There are a couple variations/brands of the valves and they make it look much easier and less messy to do.

That ValvoMax looks like a good one too. It must be newer, I don't recall seeing it when I looked around before buying mine. Most of the others I found at the time seemed to be very similar to the Fumoto so I just went with it. They definitely cut down on the mess.

Was out and about with LOTH yesterday in her car and had a flat. Pulled into a lot, popped the trunk and looked under the felt and was surprised to find no spare tire nor car jack. I'm quite certain many of you were quite aware of this but initially I was quite flummoxed.

In its place was a small compressor and a cannister of sealant that attaches to the compressor. Essentially a new improved can of "Fix-a-Flat".

It kind of worked. The compressor did manage to inflate the tire sufficiently to get us home. The sealant, on the other hand, did not stop the leak. I could still hear it when we rolled into my garage 10 minutes later. Fortunately we were not far from home.

I used my jack to get the tire off and took it in for repair this morning. It was only a nail in the tire. If the sealant can't manage that I can't say I'm overly impressed.

The process seems like a decent idea in theory. Could be a lot easier than changing a tire. That being said I, personally, will always carry a spare and the means to mount it.
We won't consider a car that does not have at least one of the emergency spare tires. Fix-a-Flat type sealants are a poor alternative that often do not work - especially if the edge or sidewall of the tire is compromised which means the tire is not repairable.

Top Bottom