What's new

No Jack or Spare Tire?!?!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Was out and about with LOTH yesterday in her car and had a flat. Pulled into a lot, popped the trunk and looked under the felt and was surprised to find no spare tire nor car jack. I'm quite certain many of you were quite aware of this but initially I was quite flummoxed.

In its place was a small compressor and a cannister of sealant that attaches to the compressor. Essentially a new improved can of "Fix-a-Flat".

It kind of worked. The compressor did manage to inflate the tire sufficiently to get us home. The sealant, on the other hand, did not stop the leak. I could still hear it when we rolled into my garage 10 minutes later. Fortunately we were not far from home.

I used my jack to get the tire off and took it in for repair this morning. It was only a nail in the tire. If the sealant can't manage that I can't say I'm overly impressed.

The process seems like a decent idea in theory. Could be a lot easier than changing a tire. That being said I, personally, will always carry a spare and the means to mount it.

Last edited:
Was out and about with LOTH yesterday and had a flat. Pulled in a lot, popped the trunk and looked under the felt and was surprised to find no spare tire nor car jack. I'm quite certain many of you were quite aware of this but initially I was quite flummoxed.

In its place was a small compressor and a cannister of sealant that attaches to the compressor. Essentially a new improved can of "Fix-a-Flat".

It kind of worked. The compressor did manage to inflate the tire sufficiently to get us home. The sealant, on the other hand, did not stop the leak. I could still hear it when we rolled into my garage 10 minutes later. Fortunately we were not far from home.

I used my jack to get the tire off and took it in for repair this morning. It was only a nail in the tire. If the sealant can't manage that I can't say I'm overly impressed.

The process seems like a decent idea in theory. Could be a lot easier than changing a tire. That being said I, personally, will always carry a spare and the means to mount it.

As well as a spare tire and a jack,
I also carry an air compressor and a tire plug kit and a tire iron cross.

I carry a full sized, marching spare with TPMS (aftermarket wheelset/rubber on truck), hydraulic jack, breaker bar, Viair tire compressor and NoCo battery pack, more than big enough for my application.

The extra full sized, matching wheel, allows me to rotate all five and extended the life of them. It also makes me ensure the spare is always functional, has air and not worn out.

Every time I drop it, I lube the chain mechanism as well.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Both my cars have no spare tire, they have flat-run tires. One can drive some 50 miles or so when you get a flat.
Not a problem here where there is a place on every corner, but if one goes into the less populated areas that could be a problem. These tires are also quite expensive.

I guess if a tire gets damaged beyond repair you are out of luck.
Roadside assistance. Because let's be honest, no one wants to change their own tire, especially since we're all driving SUV's with 18" wheels. It's not the freakin' middle ages or something.

Image from The Oregon Trail game that says You have died of dysentery

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So do these new and improved vehicles even have a spot for a spare for those who want to carry one or is that gone too?
My wife's car is a 2016 Hyundai Elantra. The compressor and sealant were in a large foam form where one would normally find a donut, jack, and tire iron. My assumption is that the car in previous years models had a donut etc. as the space the foam form took up was adequate to house these things.

My wife's car is a 2016 Hyundai Elantra. The compressor and sealant were in a large foam form where one would normally find a donut, jack, and tire iron. My assumption is that the car in previous years models had a donut etc. as the space the foam form took up was adequate to house these things.

Hopefully manufacturers will continue to at least provide the space for a spare even if they don't include one.

Guess I need to start driving with my impact wrench and drill on board. Not saying there aren't things I would do differently but I thought this was kind of funny.

Roadside assistance. Because let's be honest, no one wants to change their own tire, especially since we're all driving SUV's with 18" wheels. It's not the freakin' middle ages or something.

Image from The Oregon Trail game that says You have died of dysentery
What's roadside assistance gonna do for you if you don't have a spare?

Guess I need to start driving with my impact wrench and drill on board. Not saying there aren't things I would do differently but I thought this was kind of funny.

Funny is thinking about this video next time you're wrenching lug nuts off with a tire iron. Yes, I do have an impact driver in my car.

So, that leaves you stranded.
They can take hours too and most only cover a limited range of towing.

It won't help if you are a couple hundred miles or kms from a major town, camling or travelling either.

Always best to have the gear and know how to use it yourself.

Unless you have run flats (like Rudy said) and are only hanging around town, every vehicle should have a jack and some sort of working spare, along with a few basic tools and the knowledge to use them.

Top Bottom