What's new

No issues shaving against the grain from a Mach3?

For several years I have used a Mach3. It gives a reasonable shave when I have against the grain. However my beard is extremely straight and tough and it never curls round my face. I don’t really get razor bumps from doing this.

This is my shaving technique which I have used for years. First pass, with the grain. Second pass, against the grain. Third pass, with the grain (to realign my beard after the second pass).

I know this is purely subjective, but your comments will be welcome.

Jason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eben Stone

Staff member
I now shave with a safety razor or AC shavette. Before that I shaved with a Mach3 for maybe 25 years, 1 pass WTG. Then out of nowhere I switched to 1 pass ATG and kept that up for about 1 year. I didn't have any issues with it.

Before I found and have started learning about wet shaving, I used a Mach3 for many, many years. I only ever did a WTG pass along with some cleanup where my hair pattern changes in some spots on my neck. It never occurred to me to do anything else. After having learned 2-3 pass shaving, I recently went back and used the Mach3 just to see what it would feel like many months later. I did a 3 pass shave and while it worked, it really didn't provide as clean or satisfying a shave as a DE.

One thing I can say is, no matter what kind of razor you use, using "real" shaving cream or soap with a brush makes a night and day difference. Even if someone doesn't want to stick with DE razors after trying it, I don't see how they can go back to the foam/gel. That stuff is terrible!

One thing I can say is, no matter what kind of razor you use, using "real" shaving cream or soap with a brush makes a night and day difference. Even if someone doesn't want to stick with DE razors after trying it, I don't see how they can go back to the foam/gel. That stuff is terrible!

I've tried both Nivea Gel and Barbasol and found them adequate. I gave a squirt into my lather bowl and then proceeded to add water and stir until it reached the desired Soap/Water balance.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Never had a real issue shaving ATG with cartridge razors. The only occasional issue was when I used too much pressure which caused the odd issue. My fault not the razors.

Thanks to all for your replies. The way that I see it; going WTG removes MOST of the hair and going ATG picks up any stray hairs that have been missed. And I hardly use any pressure when going ATG.

I can understand if your hair is rather then ATG may cause some issues but as my hair is completely straight and upright it just grows back normally after shaving ATG.

Jason.

First pass, with the grain. Second pass, against the grain. Third pass, with the grain (to realign my beard after the second pass).

i might change up the third pass to xtg… not really sure what realigning is though. I have done the something similar and i feel like its slight superfluous but whatever, i enjoy it.

i might change up the third pass to xtg… not really sure what realigning is though. I have done the something similar and i feel like its slight superfluous but whatever, i enjoy it.
What I meant by 'realigning the beard' is that when going ATG obviously the skin is being pulled in the wrong direction along with all the hair follicles, so doing a tertiary pass WTG (This is conjecture what I am about to say next) somehow realigns the skin and the follicles in the right direction again to minimise the risk of in-grown hairs.

Jason.

Interesting, if it works for you, thats all the reason you need.

to me the last pass might be able to sweep up a hair or two that was less accessible in the previous pass, low probability, but the last pass is easy, quick and feels good to go.

Interesting, if it works for you, thats all the reason you need.

to me the last pass might be able to sweep up a hair or two that was less accessible in the previous pass, low probability, but the last pass is easy, quick and feels good to go.
Thats another reason for the tertiary pass. Everything neatly cleaned up and a nice way to conclude the shave.

Jason.

Thanks to all for your replies. The way that I see it; going WTG removes MOST of the hair and going ATG picks up any stray hairs that have been missed. And I hardly use any pressure when going ATG.

I can understand if your hair is rather then ATG may cause some issues but as my hair is completely straight and upright it just grows back normally after shaving ATG.

Jason.
It is not like that. You really think a 3 blade cartridge (especially the MACH3) will miss a hair on the first pass? The principle is it gradually reduces the hair length just like every razor, be it a DE or cart. Pass one removes roughly 50-70% of the hair length. Then the next passes cut the hair shorter (and closer to the skin).

I have been using the MACH3 for almost 20 years. Still use it occasionaly. Probably 8-9 times a year. No problems going ATG.
I always do 3 passes, no matter DE or cartridge. WTG, ATG and XTG. I have tried the XTG 2nd an the ATG 3rd but for my beard it really doesn't matter, as a big part of my whiskers below the jaw are growing sideways and around the jaw I even have circular growth.

Top Bottom