What's new

No guide pins on Razorock Gamechanger OC?

Hi everyone,

I just shaved for the first time with my Razorock Gamechanger .68 OC. The shave itself was fantastic. I used a Gillette 7 O’Clock yellow blade and I achieved a true BBS shave. No complaints on the performance.

What I don’t like about this razor is the setup of the top cap and baseplate. Unlike most three piece razors, the top cap of the Gamechanger does not have guide pins on each side of the post. There are two very shallow guide pins on the baseplate instead? Is the design intended to make you load the blade upside down and screw in the handle from underneath? I’m not sure if I’m explaining myself very well but hoping some of you that have this razor can advise how you load your blades.

Yes, you load the blade on the baseplate and press the cap down. Then pinch/lift the whole head and attach handle.

Not a flaw, in fact, I prefer it this way.
I suppose it will take some getting used to. I just feel like I’m handling the blade a bit more this way and kind of feel like I could slip.

Instructions are provided on the Game Changer web page -

"How to load the blade: The easiest way to load a DE blade into the RazoRock Game Changer razor is to put the base plate of the razor head (the flat one) in the palm of your hand, then drop DE blade over the alignment posts. Then you can put the top cap on and proceed to screw down the handle locking the blade into the razor head."

Agreed, this is pretty much the only negative thing I have to say about the GC and it’s perfect otherwise.

The pin issue isn’t that big of a deal but it does make it a little harder to load and is a tad annoying since I disassemble and dry the razor and blade after every use.

The benefit of this pin arrangement is perfect blade alignment. Every time.
Why would the alignment be less then perfect if the pins were the same exact size and on the cap instead? I’m wondering if I’m missing something here.

If the GC was the only razor I used I doubt I’d think much about it. But since I’m always trying out new razors/blades I still haven’t gotten completely used to the layout yet. But it doesn’t really bother me much either.

Why would the alignment be less then perfect if the pins were the same exact size and on the cap instead? I’m wondering if I’m missing something here.

If the GC was the only razor I used I doubt I’d think much about it. But since I’m always trying out new razors/blades I still haven’t gotten completely used to the layout yet. But it doesn’t really bother me much either.
I suspect RazoRock is trying to save machining costs to hit a price point. With this method, the top cap does not need a tight fit with the base plate. Get the base plate right and they are golden.

I eventually got used to loading the blade on the original Mamba, the Mamba 0.70 and the Game Changer 0.68. It is not a problem for me.

These razors are good values and they shave above their price points.

GBerry has it right; it's all about machining costs. They could put the posts on the top cap instead, but the razor would be considerably more expensive.
As long as the blade is straight and secured, it's all good.

GBerry has it right; it's all about machining costs. They could put the posts on the top cap instead, but the razor would be considerably more expensive.
As long as the blade is straight and secured, it's all good.
I don’t know about considerably more since most of their other razors use the posts on the cap for about $10-15 more. But if I was them and could sell the razor for $10-15 less I would have done the same thing.

And I guess I sort of understand how it helps make sure the blade is aligned with the safety bar no matter how well aligned the cap is…. But the top cap being perfectly aligned is also important so I’m not sure I still see much of a benefit when it comes to alignment.

With posts on the top cap of the razor there’s more of a chance the blade may not be as centered on the safety bar. With posts on the safety bar there’s a chance it may not be as centered on the top cap? Or am I missing something there.

Either way I don’t think they cut any corners as far as the top cap goes to save money and the fit is as good as any of my other razors.

I’m about to start testing new blades in mine here soon. I tested lots of blades in my old 89 razors to see what works best but now I plan to revisit that with the 84.

So far my favorite is the older Nacets from a couple years ago (the newer batch I have with the redesigned box felt really rough). I’m hoping all of the new Nacets don’t feel that way and that I just got a bad batch. They were still plenty sharp.

And the Astra SP which is my go to blade, especially the newer batches from the last year. They just seem sharper then most of the older Astras I got for testing. I know a lot of people say the Astras aren’t very sharp but to me they are one of the sharpest blades out there with most of my good batches. My sharpest ones are very similar to Nacets but a tad smoother.

I have tried over a dozen other highly recommended blades that weren’t sharp enough for me so I’m always surprised to hear Astras aren’t sharp for people. Weird how that works. But I think there is a bit of variation in there batch to batch and these newer ones have been tops so far.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I find the GC to have excellent blade alignment as a result of this backwards loading system. I had an old school Black Mamba years ago in the early Razorock days, and that was the first razor I had with that blade loading style. So I was well used to it long before the GC changed the game.

And I guess I sort of understand how it helps make sure the blade is aligned with the safety bar no matter how well aligned the cap is…. But the top cap being perfectly aligned is also important so I’m not sure I still see much of a benefit when it comes to alignment.

With posts on the top cap of the razor there’s more of a chance the blade may not be as centered on the safety bar. With posts on the safety bar there’s a chance it may not be as centered on the top cap? Or am I missing something there.

Either way I don’t think they cut any corners as far as the top cap goes to save money and the fit is as good as any of my other razors.
1. On the Mambas and the Game Changers, the blade is aligned very well with the guard.
2. The cap is aligned very well with the base plate including the guard.
3. Blade alignment is not an issue with these razors.

My advice: enjoy the good quality shave tools RazoRock is successfully marketing.

Top Bottom