What's new

No guard DE?

Given the amount of time it took me from being nervous and going slow, this MAY be a one off. I will keep my cut base plate though, as this may be a good thing to have if for some reason I am with a few days growth. Cheers all, and good bloody luck to every one else still to try!
Sorry to see your injury!

What blade did you use? I'm guessing smooth and mild is the way to go, like that Supermax.
Perhaps the geometry of the Yuma is more risky since there's greater blade exposure with it than on my bakelite.
I'll try this with the Yuma in due course but R41 first.

And this isn't an experiment to be taken lightly - solid experience with a shavette must be a prerequisite.

Honestly, I've got such an amazing result with this so don't be discouraged!

And I do like the idea of calling this a "devette"...

Ok the Rimei baseplate is too thin to work with the R41 but the nice chunky bakelite baseplate is perfect.

So the R41 devette is all queued up for tomorrow morning now:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Sorry to see your injury!

What blade did you use? I'm guessing smooth and mild is the way to go, like that Supermax.
Perhaps the geometry of the Yuma is more risky since there's greater blade exposure with it than on my bakelite.
I'll try this with the Yuma in due course but R41 first.

And this isn't an experiment to be taken lightly - solid experience with a shavette must be a prerequisite.

Honestly, I've got such an amazing result with this so don't be discouraged!

And I do like the idea of calling this a "devette"...

I don't think I'll call it quits. I used a Lord Stainless to be safe, as next to a few Dorco's collecting dust, it was my dullest blade. Aside from that one small gash, which quit bleeding VERY quickly by the way, the after shave told me it wasn't a bad shave at all really. Since Lord's and Dorco's don't agree with me in the first place, someday soon I'll give it a go with a good blade.

Good luck on you're endeavor! :thumbup1:

I don't think I'll call it quits. I used a Lord Stainless to be safe, as next to a few Dorco's collecting dust, it was my dullest blade. Aside from that one small gash, which quit bleeding VERY quickly by the way, the after shave told me it wasn't a bad shave at all really. Since Lord's and Dorco's don't agree with me in the first place, someday soon I'll give it a go with a good blade.

Good luck on you're endeavor! :thumbup1:

I know from experience with R41 that dull blades causes more nicks than sharp ones. It might sound unintuitive but think about it a bit:
- Dull blades will not slice the whiskers easily and the razor begins to tug, skip and jump. You loose precision and accidents happens
- Sharp blades will just glide along the skin slicing the whiskers without any sudden tugging and such.

R41+Derby caused me to bleed 90% of all shaves.
R41+Feather is safe for me. I do not even remember when I last cut myself.

If I ever cut myself it is because I have used a blade too much and it became dull.

Last edited:
I know from experience with R41 that dull blades causes more nicks than sharp ones. It might sound unintuitive but think about it a bit:
- Dull blades will not slice the whiskers easily and the razor begins to tug, skip and jump. You loose precision and accidents happens
- Sharp blades will just glide along the skin slicing the whiskers without any sudden tugging and such.

R41+Derby caused me to bleed 90% of all shaves.
R41+Feather is safe for me. I do not even remember when I last cut myself.

If I ever cut myself it is because I have used a blade too much and it became dull.

That had crossed my mind whilst shaving. The same reason I stopped using the Lord's in the first place. I do learn from my mistakes, I'm just a little slow. :001_huh:

I know from experience with R41 that dull blades causes more nicks than sharp ones. It might sound unintuitive but think about it a bit
Perhaps blade choice will be the decisive factor with this - smooth Indian blades (Supermax Blue Diamond and Super Platinum, Gillette 365 and 7OC Black) work best for me in shavettes.

I also wonder if cap geometry is going to play much part here at all, especially with steep angle.

And what about weight?
The light bakelite this morning was ideal, and I prefer lighter shavettes like the Sedef to the heavier ones too.
This ties in with the absolute requirement for no pressure!

I have always said that gaps are evil. When you remove the bar you do not have a gap anymore. Which is good!

Most OC razors have a small enough gap to not bother while still not clogging. This is why I love OC. If I take a normal SB razor there is always problem with the gap. Either it is small enough to clog (Tech and other mild SB) or it is big enough to make the razor
uncomfortable.

That mjclark got his most comfortable shave without any gap proves a bit my theory.

Last edited:
Well this morning a razor with the guard removed gave me simultaneously the most efficient and most comfortable DE shave I have ever experienced and produced the best results on the neck of ANY razor I have ever used.
Reason enough to try it, surely?

That is reason enough for me to try it, but I'll try anything!:tongue_sm

Just shaved with R41 devette/ unsafety and, once again wow!

Heavier than the bakelite, with more blade feel and the same amazing efficiency and comfort.

With shallow angle the cap geometry does seem to be a factor since this felt like an R41 shave (which the bakelite didn't), but what's the difference between perfection and flawlessness?

Supermax Super Platinum again and a two-pass BBS with absolutely no irritation, and a perfect result on the neck.

You must try this!
proxy.php

Tomorrow the Yuma...

Top Bottom