What's new

No-go cream or soap

I am not sure if this topic has been already discussed but as everyone are praising this and that cream, soap, after or pre shave stuff you-name-it. Are there anything that one could not recommend of spending a dime for it? What is absolute waste of money by some ones own experience?

I am considerably new to this wet shave but so far everything I've tried has been either good or really good so I am wondering if there are any truly terrible products out there which should not be considered worth the effort of buying and trying?

Maybe not. [emoji848]

The only soap I absolutely hated was GBS sandalwood, which was included in a variety pack of blades. I could not get a decent slickness with it, even when it lathered.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I suggest all soaps and crème's are at least "somewhat good" or they wouldn't be on the market more than 90 days.

+1 ...everyone has their particular threshold/opinion, but in general really horrible soaps won't stick around. I have yet to find a truly bad soap except for one local artisan bath soap maker who offered me a puck of their new "shaving" soap. Impossible to make a lather and extremely drying to the skin.

It's all personal preference, but for me I just don't like Mystic Waters. Tried 5-6 of their soaps and while they all SMELLED fantastic I found them really lacking in performance

...I am wondering if there are any truly terrible products out there which should not be considered worth the effort of buying and trying?...
I cannot say any of the following products are terrible, but I couldn't get a decent shave with them:

Ingram cream
Erasmic cream and soap
Nivea for men - extra moisture
Kaloderma (hit or miss, I blame the lather anyway)
D'Amaris (any kind)
J.M. Fraser's
Veleiro Cream
Lanolizado Top Secret cream

There are several others but cannot remember now.

I am considerably new to this wet shave but so far everything I've tried has been either good or really good so I am wondering if there are any truly terrible products out there which should not be considered worth the effort of buying and trying?

These lists are so arbitrary. I see a soap here I use and enjoy and soaps I'm sure other shavers praise. You are bound to run across a soap that doesn't work for you. Your life won't be ruined because you bought a soap you couldn't enjoy. And you'll get to chime in on threads like this.

Hate to 'trash talk any product,' BUT for me BADGER soap was the worst performer I have used in years! (Saw some in a local shop and I liked the name. Unfortunately, the name was the best part!)

Truefitt & Hill No. 10 Finest Shaving Cream made me break out in hives mere seconds after applying it. It is my ultimate no-go shaving cream because I neither completed nor started a shave with it. :001_smile

I could never make Proraso soaps turn out well despite the fact that I love their creams, but then again I never gave the puck more than 2 or 3 tries before I moved on. TOBS Grapefruit is another I could have gone without. It smells like the citrus urinal cakes that our hospital uses or cheap gas station hand soap.

YMMV but I regret getting SdM and Mystic Water. I really want to like them, but I find both difficult to lather, and when I do after much effort, the lather dissipates.

Hate to 'trash talk any product,' BUT for me BADGER soap was the worst performer I have used in years! (Saw some in a local shop and I liked the name. Unfortunately, the name was the best part!)
I really liked the fragrance, but I couldn't get a good non-disappearing lather from it. I really tried to make it work, but I'm afraid it's going to have to be a shower soap.

I haven't found anything that positively will not work, but the low end is no fun. I've shaved with hand soap, shampoo, Cetaphil face wash, Dr. Bronner's castille.

Part of the problem is intent. Some makers are clueless, and they will fail. Others are frustrated/ limited by their test audience.
A great SR soap is ok for de, and generally vice versa. Bridging the gap successfully is a trick. It's hard to please everyone. The best soaps please All users. The ones that **** everybody off cease to exist.

I didn't like any of the Proraso soaps, for performance or scent. However, they clearly must have qualities I couldn't detect, given their large number of supporters. This is such a YMMV area though - if this thread runs long enough, every single soap known to man will get a mention, good and bad.

I am not sure if this topic has been already discussed but as everyone are praising this and that cream, soap, after or pre shave stuff you-name-it. Are there anything that one could not recommend of spending a dime for it? What is absolute waste of money by some ones own experience?

Yes it has been, is, and probably always will be discussed, as it is in this thread right on the first page of the soaps sub-forum.

However . . .

These lists are so arbitrary. I see a soap here I use and enjoy and soaps I'm sure other shavers praise.

. . . there won't be universal agreement. For example:

I cannot say any of the following products are terrible, but I couldn't get a decent shave with them:

Erasmic cream

For me, Erasmic cream is up there with the best--super slick, easy to lather, and smells great.

So: "worst of" posts are popular, but of strictly limited use. How many posts in that soap thread are coming from gents who took the time to dial in the unfamiliar product? How many are from gents who couldn't get it to work for them, once?

can-of-worms.jpg

I couldn't make my lather slick enough for my straights from beaver woodright soaps but it came highly recommended from a de user. Yes YMMV

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Top Bottom