What's new

No-go cream or soap

Yes it has been, is, and probably always will be discussed, as it is in this thread right on the first page of the soaps sub-forum.

Sorry guys. I should have read other topics/sub-forums as well.

I do agree that it is a matter of opinnion and maybe luck or skills if one gets good or bad experience. And also may greatly vary depending on rather many things like simply water hardness or amount of it used etc.

Anyways must say that you guys have taught me a lot so far throught this forum! :) Surely I have a long journey still ahead but tossing away electric shavers after using them for over 25 years feels like a best desicion ever!

Skip all the George F. Trumper's soaps. Their creams are great, but their soap is worthless.

I used to be a Trumper's soap fan, but no more. When I tried a refill of Rose Shaving Soap, I could not get a decent lather that lasted. I had to throw it out. It was worse than modern Williams!

I picked up some shave soap from a vendor at the Fort Worth stockshow. It was some healthy, good-for-your-skin goat milk based line of products. The soap simply did not lather. Just made a slightly foamy milk. Can't recall the name of it, though.

Also, I would say vintage Old Spice is absolute garbage. Don't buy it. In fact, I will take one for the team and buy them all up from eBay to remove them from circulation, so if you would all please stop bidding against me, I would appreciate it. And send me all of your unused pucks, too.
:p

Raozorock classic and Don Marco for me. No slickness no matter what I've tried which will make it my first and last razorock purchase. Williams but that's been the case with that stuff for 20 yrs so that's not a new one.

Olivina Flash Foam, from Target. I bought a tube, and the back blew out. Thought it was just me, but I saw others report the same thing. Very tough to get out of the tube properly. I thought it was too dry and light.

For me:
Bolzano blades
Soap: Herban Cowboy (Central Market or World Market). I never could get a decent lather with it.

It's a case of YMMV, or to put it another way "Bouquets & Brickbats"
BUT
Here's my "Hall of shame"

Soap
Monsavon Bol A Raser - Made in France
They call it soap, but I think it's more like Croap - although personally I'd miss out the letter "a" from the word "Croap"
I know a lot of people like it, but I found the scent to be sickly and cloying and I never once got a lather that I was completely satisfied with.

Just to prove it wasn't "just me"...
I never had any problems lathering with Proraso Red, White or Green soap
I've never had any problems lathering with hard soaps - including the infamous Williams !!
To add insult to injury, the lid is so loose that it will fall off if you blow on it, because it doesn't form any sort of a seal on the container, the moisture evaporated and the soap shrunk to half it's original size.
The last time I tried using it, the lather was worse than ever, with no glide or cushion whatsoever no matter how thickly I brushed it on, and as a result I had some of the worst irritation and weepers for as long as I could remember.
I made fresh lather with Proraso soap, made the best of a bad shave and because all the goodness had evaporated out of it, I threw the Monsavon into the bin - good riddance to bad rubbish.

Cream
Old Spice Original, Fresh Lime, Musk - Made in India by Rubicon
I love all 3 of the Indian made Old Spice aftershaves so I was looking forward to shaving with an Old Spice cream and finishing with the equivalent Old Spice aftershave...........
What a damp squib that plan turned out to be-
Although I can't fault any of the creams performance wise, but the scents were bland and insipid - none of the scents of the creams even vaguely resembled any of the Old Spice scents, the Musk was the closest, but only if used in quantities that are large to the point of being wasteful.
Performance wise, all 3 creams were similar to Nivea Mild, by coincidence the scent reminded me of Nivea Mild too.
In hindsight I'd have done better buying tubes of Nivea Mild from my local branch of Eroski Supermarket...
Even paying full price, I'd could have got 4 tubes of Nivea for around the same price as 3 tubes of Old Spice.....
Except that the tubes of Nivea are bigger !!!

Lider Classic - Made in Poland
I can't fault it performance wise, but the lime scent is so chemically and artificial it's almost sickly, coupled with the fluorescent pukey green colour it's positively gut churning to see and smell the stuff.
It still has it's uses though - mixed with any of the Old Spice creams, it makes a very refreshing cold water lather in summer during the July/August heatwave.

Goldex - Made in Portugal
Again, nothing wrong with the performance, but the lime scent is like a diluted version of Lider Classic, but also very sickly- especially coupled with the anaemic pukey green colour.
Also very useful for giving Old Spice creams a bit of scent.

Scalpmaster Shave soap. It never develops a shave cream only a whispy foam

DSCF0170 - Edited.jpg
DSCF0176 - Edited.jpg

It's a case of YMMV, or to put it another way "Bouquets & Brickbats"
BUT
Here's my "Hall of shame"

Soap
Monsavon Bol A Raser - Made in France
They call it soap, but I think it's more like Croap - although personally I'd miss out the letter "a" from the word "Croap"
I know a lot of people like it, but I found the scent to be sickly and cloying and I never once got a lather that I was completely satisfied with.

Just to prove it wasn't "just me"...
I never had any problems lathering with Proraso Red, White or Green soap
I've never had any problems lathering with hard soaps - including the infamous Williams !!
To add insult to injury, the lid is so loose that it will fall off if you blow on it, because it doesn't form any sort of a seal on the container, the moisture evaporated and the soap shrunk to half it's original size.
The last time I tried using it, the lather was worse than ever, with no glide or cushion whatsoever no matter how thickly I brushed it on, and as a result I had some of the worst irritation and weepers for as long as I could remember.
I made fresh lather with Proraso soap, made the best of a bad shave and because all the goodness had evaporated out of it, I threw the Monsavon into the bin - good riddance to bad rubbish.

Cream
Old Spice Original, Fresh Lime, Musk - Made in India by Rubicon
I love all 3 of the Indian made Old Spice aftershaves so I was looking forward to shaving with an Old Spice cream and finishing with the equivalent Old Spice aftershave...........
What a damp squib that plan turned out to be-
Although I can't fault any of the creams performance wise, but the scents were bland and insipid - none of the scents of the creams even vaguely resembled any of the Old Spice scents, the Musk was the closest, but only if used in quantities that are large to the point of being wasteful.
Performance wise, all 3 creams were similar to Nivea Mild, by coincidence the scent reminded me of Nivea Mild too.
In hindsight I'd have done better buying tubes of Nivea Mild from my local branch of Eroski Supermarket...
Even paying full price, I'd could have got 4 tubes of Nivea for around the same price as 3 tubes of Old Spice.....
Except that the tubes of Nivea are bigger !!!

Lider Classic - Made in Poland
I can't fault it performance wise, but the lime scent is so chemically and artificial it's almost sickly, coupled with the fluorescent pukey green colour it's positively gut churning to see and smell the stuff.
It still has it's uses though - mixed with any of the Old Spice creams, it makes a very refreshing cold water lather in summer during the July/August heatwave.

Goldex - Made in Portugal
Again, nothing wrong with the performance, but the lime scent is like a diluted version of Lider Classic, but also very sickly- especially coupled with the anaemic pukey green colour.
Also very useful for giving Old Spice creams a bit of scent.

Correction..............
Miss out the letter "a" should read - Miss out the letter "o"
D'oh !!

The smell of Arko soap has been compared to many really bad smelling things. They are all true!

They say that if you let it sit in your garage for a couple of months it will start to smell like plain regular soap.

They say that if you grate it with a cheese grater the smell will dissipate within a day or so.

My grated Arko soap has been sitting in my garage since Jan 11 2017. While the smell is definitely a little lighter, it still smells exactly the same.... It smells like Arko!

No offense to all of you who claim that "I like the smell." or "It isn't that bad." or "For the price you can't beat the lathering performance." More power to you. I'm just saying that for me, I will not do Arko.

The only reason I'm keeping it around is to prove to myself that it will still smell like Arko in a year or two. Even if it doesn't smell by then, having to buy grate and store ir for 1 - 2 years before using would be way too much trouble. I'd rather buy something I actually like and there are many products to choose from.

I had a puck of Geo F. Trumper Eucris in the black wooden bowl. The scent was beautiful. The soap was useless un-latherable garbage. I gave away the soap. The recipient gave away the soap. The nice black wooden bowl now has the Eucris sticker removed and is used to hold about a hundred Fender medium picks by my work station.

For me:

Never buying again-
Lightfoot's Pure Pine soap
Herr & Man soap
Aqua Di Parma cream

Probably won't buy again-
Mitchell's Wool Fat soap
Any Van Der Hagen soap
Current formula Williams soap

Just about any shaving soap with olive oil listed as a ingredient, especially the the earlier it's listed as a ingredient, are no good. The only way I'll try one is if a portion is given to me. If I like it I'll buy some. So far none are any good.

Tabac cream.
Very difficult to get a lather with a brush.
I can use it brushless, but prefer to avoid.

Im going to say that you must be doing something wrong. I've only been doing this a wet week but i find lathering tabac to be nearly as easy as my palmolive cream. In fact i have to keep reminding myself to back of on loading my brush before lathering as i always end up with too much!

I use a stick, rub it on my wet face, wet a soft synthetic brush and then after 30 seconds and a few more dips i have lather everywhere.

Wonderful, wonderful stuff

Top Bottom