What's new

No Dice! — On Contentment And Tracking Shaves

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm a shave # counter and use dice, paper stickies, dots on the blade with a sharpie and dials. They all work well it seems and I enjoy shave counting to this day(old learning habits). I made some simple dials when I got into Schick injectors because I leave the blade in the razor usually.
Blade counter 2.0 (2).jpg
Blade counter 1.0 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

I'm a shave # counter and use dice, paper stickies, dots on the blade with a sharpie and dials. They all work well it seems and I enjoy shave counting to this day(old learning habits). I made some simple dials when I got into Schick injectors because I leave the blade in the razor usually.
View attachment 1255139 View attachment 1255140
Wow that is so low tech. its cool. Its like something from the 70s hell even the 50s.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I used to use a very special dice to count my blade uses and track my shaves. Then one day I realised that there is no point in collating any data unless you have a use for it and will refer to it. I simply do not care how many shaves I get with a blade so I no longer count or record any usage.
Well, at least you have GREAT taste in fragrances my friend!
Being compulsive, I use a spreadsheet.

View attachment 1255078
I'm computer illiterate, so I use a fine tip Sharpie (unless I have misplaced it, and have to use a not so fine tipped one) and make hash marks. My record is 56 on a GSB.....hey! Wasn't that Joe Dimaggio's hit streak? I should retire it.

@DEPenguin : I don't allow pens in my bathroom either, so I have razor wrappers all over the house!

@ackvil : my was was a computer programmer.... maybe if I ask real nice she'll start up a spreadsheet thingy for me!

why track it, what's the point, use the blade, flip it if you need too, pitch it if it sucks, or use it till your good and move on. I use a blade for five days or five shaves, which ever comes first, and then it's pitched. If you won't spend the money on some dice, but you'll spend it on something you don't need........I'd agree that you have issues as well.

My wife gets a big kick out of me. First, I had to explain why I "need" to take photos of every shave. She did admit that the photos we post are (in her words) "pretty." Then one day some time ago she saw me working on my spreadsheet. She asked about it and I explained I can calculate the number of shaves I get from a blade or a soap and can calculate the cost per shave. Her question was "why?" She had me stumped there!

My wife gets a big kick out of me. First, I had to explain why I "need" to take photos of every shave. She did admit that the photos we post are (in her words) "pretty." Then one day some time ago she saw me working on my spreadsheet. She asked about it and I explained I can calculate the number of shaves I get from a blade or a soap and can calculate the cost per shave. Her question was "why?" She had me stumped there!
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not understand, no explanation will suffice.

/assumes Full Lotus position

Interesting discussion!

I stick with my memory, reasoning that what I forget wasn’t that important. :straight: :straight:

Tough when you live with a wise Lady!! :sob: :sob:

View attachment 1255139 View attachment 1255140
Man, if I had room that would be the way to go! Low tech/old school.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I use a abacus to tracking blades.
Its size is smaller than the abacus actually used in traditional stores, but it is still enough to smoothly fiddling with fingers; although it is not suitable for fast business calculations, it is enough to track the number of blades and does not occupy too much in shave den.
算盤01.jpg

There are a total of nine rows, and each row can be calculated to 15 respectively, so it can track multiple blades at the same time, and two rows can also be used together to display a larger number (such as 99 or 9999).

The following is a digital demonstration:
1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9
算盤03.jpg

The following is a digital demonstration:
10/11/12/13/14/15/0/0/0
算盤04.jpg

It only takes up the area of about three blades, which can give me enough tracking functions.
Since shaving is fun, I don’t mind adding a little more historical and interesting gadgets, especially it does not take up much area.

Why do we make shaving so complicated? All you need to track the number of shaves on a blade is a piece of 3 x 5 scratch paper and one pencil. Faster and easier. At least for me.

Why bother to track them at all? Just change the blade when the shave deteriorates or change it ever Sunday, or Change it on the first and fifteenth. There’s any number of schemes that don’t involve even a pen and paper.

Why bother to track them at all? Just change the blade when the shave deteriorates or change it ever Sunday, or Change it on the first and fifteenth. There’s any number of schemes that don’t involve even a pen and paper.
It’s a lot more difficult when your razor rotation is vast as well as the different types of blades used. I must have six different blades on the go with my Autostrops collection alone. Different brands, stainless steel, carbon steel, modified blades, unmodified blades along with fifteen Autostrops which I never know which blade I’ll be loading it with. Some blades I strop, some I don’t, I like the data of how many shaves any particular varient will give me. Who knows when I might return to some of these blades as I am also spending time and running personal tests on many GEM razors with as many varieties of blades as I can...double edge...another can of worms.

I do see value in tracking the number of test shaves on a newly purchased blade from a different manufacturer. Most of my DE blades give me 7 quality shaves. I'm testing a Kai blade currently, and so far I have 13 quality shaves, and counting.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I do see value in tracking the number of test shaves on a newly purchased blade from a different manufacturer. Most of my DE blades give me 7 quality shaves. I'm testing a Kai blade currently, and so far I have 13 quality shaves, and counting.
I track it for one reason, and one reason only: I'm cheap, and all that money I'm saving goes straight into my stock portfolio!

I figure that I have been able to invest $5 over the last 5 years that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

I'm going to treat my lovely bride to a McHappy Meal!

And she says I ain't romantical like I used to be!

Top Bottom