What's new

No Coffee Brewers Allowed

I'm the kind of wiseass who has no business being in a corporate environment, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I'd be sorely tempted, in your shoes, to explain to management that lack of coffee access means the death of the company's productivity. If they are either over a barrel about some fire safety regulation or so foolishly arrogant that they can't/won't bend on this, point out to them that instituting a delivery service from a local café for all employers is ultimately cheaper and more efficient than filing for bankruptcy, or even having to replace all of their best workers after they bolt to better workplaces.

I used an old Stanley Thermos for over 30 years. I would pre-heat and load about 6am before leaving home and the coffee would still be hot at 3pm. We were in a building built in the early 70's. Every cube had a PC and monitor, almost everyone had a radio, 2 sets of under cabs lights in every cube and the electrical was already on the edge. Add to that most women had their space heater under their desk, etc.. the coffee in the break area sucked so every other person had a Mr Coffee you can see how we were always calling the maint people. So, the new law before I left was.. one officially provided power strip, no heaters, no coffee makers, no personal printers, BUT, they did a serious upgrade to the coffee in the break room, added 3 microwaves, 2 full size frigs and even an under the counter ice maker.

replace all of their best workers after they bolt to better workplaces.
have you checked the unemployment numbers lately? ain't nobody bolting over coffee

Last edited:
I'm afraid Blue Raccoon is right. I'm not going to leave over coffee. Even if we were in a different economic climate I wouldn't leave over coffee. That being said, I'm still not happy about it.

Next Monday is the first day at the new facility. I will have to remember to get my mug ready... wish me luck!

Even George Howell once sourced hot water out of a sink tap at a Howard Johnson for a french press. There's no shame in doing what is necessary to get a cup. :)

french press, or a walk Starbuck's/other coffee place(insert name her).......much like the 10+ smoke breaks all the smokers in my office building have, take take off and go get a coffee.

Regarding thermoses, these days the focus in the specialty coffee community is brewing by the cup and holding coffee for any length of time is frowned upon by many, but I've found that when I've had to use a thermos (rather then drinking random roadside coffee on a long car trip) that the coffee is actually quite good if you pre-heat the thermos and keep it sealed.

Once I even felt that the coffee changed for the better, resulting in a more plumy stone fruit flavor that was missing before storing it in the thermos... this was a batch made with a Chemex and metal Kone filter which allows oils and some sediment through so it's likely that there was some sediment in the thermos, but it didn't taste bitter or overextracted.

I also like to brew coffee into ice at home and throw it in a metal bottle when I go out to see a movie. Iced coffee seems to hold up well to storage and tastes quite nice, especially on warmer days.

O ya, 1 more thing

There are no Starbucks or DD w/in a few mile radius of my new office. I don't like Starbucks coffee anyway but it's still amazing that there are none close by. There is "Seattles Best" available in our cafe, but I have an issue with paying $2 every afternoon for coffee that tastes much worse that what I make.

Stick a mug of cold fresh water in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes.

Immediately pour it over a heaping spoonful of Cafe Bustelo Instant in your main mug. Stir.

Easy, simple, no cleanup, and surprisingly acceptable for a mid-afternoon cuppa or two. You won't be banished to the Coffee Aficionado Walk of Shame for making a necessary adjustment to your normal routine preferences.

Well, the day is finally here. Today is my first day at our new office. Unfortunately, our area got crushed with a snowstorm Saturday evening so I had no power to make my morning brew the last couple of days. I have family near by who have a gas stove so I can heat water for my FP.... to bad I only have whole beans. After a long cold night I was unable to brew any coffee so I had to resort to the house brew at the new building. It was quite bad but I suppose it was better than nothing. Keep your fingers crossed that I will get power back soon. That way I can finally run the thermos test!

A couple of folks mentioned a microwave, but I never read if that is an option. We have a "hot" water supply, but I measured it long ago and found it to be wanting. So here is my setup:

$2011-10-31_10-31-58_923.jpg

Boil water in microwave, walk to grounds (cooling water just enough), pour over grounds held in a CCD, wait 3 - 4 minutes, perfect.

Kind of the same process I use at home, except I boil water on the stove.

-jim

A friend of mine has a pourover, a hario mini mill, and an electric kettle for his office. He doesn't have his coffee yet (it gets roasted tomorrow), but I'll report back with how it works for him.

Top Bottom