What's new

No brush shave

Working from home during these crazy times I am inclined to take more time shaving and/or try different things. Today I used a D.R. Harris shaving soap puck to crayon on some shave soap thinking I would try shaving without using a brush. With whetted fingers I just rubbed it in some and then shaved. I did all three passes like this a got a great shave.

And that is my report from Woebegone. :cool:

Have you tried Cremo? Ultimate brushless shave cream in my opinion. I love the soap and brush routine but i’m considering switching to it full time for awhile just because it works so well.

It has been a while since I've used Cremo, and today's experiment with the puck lead me to look for that tube of cream now. I have a tube of brushless Barbasol too that I may revisit as well.

If you face lather with a brush, the brush will hold enough lather for the remaining passes. I'm guessing you had to re-apply the soap several times during your shave.

If you face lather with a brush, the brush will hold enough lather for the remaining passes. I'm guessing you had to re-apply the soap several times during your shave.
That is correct. Re-soaped between each pass. Like I said, I had time on my hands and wanted to change up the routine a bit.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Cremo is one of the best brushless. One that is brushless, but will lather is Kiss My Face. It rinses a bit easier than Cremo. Tried the Barbasol Brushless. I think they just wanted to tick a box on that one. Nothing special compared to other brushless.

I use Proraso tube cream and use my hand for head and face shaves. Saw it once on a head shave video and it works fine. Only takes a dab less than dime size, and smaller for daily face shaves.

I don't think you can find it, or it is convenient for buying it online, but when I need to rush I use the brushless cream by L'Erbolario. It is an Italian company making pretty good products (I love also some of their aftershaves).

Reactions: ike
Great news. I’ll shamelessly add that I’ve had some amazing shaves this way without using a brush. Though it’s not my preferred method, it works.:)

I usually do brush free when I’m in a rush by first rubbing on a shave stick followed by some canned goop. Works better than using either product alone and about 90% as well as using a brush.

I too use this method with all kinds of shaving creams and have done for the past three years even though i have both boar and badger brushes which haven't been used for quite some time. I apply shaving cream out of a tube and apply / massage into my head and face. Fusion / Mach 3 for head and 34C or 37C for the face.

My shaves are stupidly close. Its almost as if i've waxed. I know its kind of blasphemy to not use a brush for some people and I wish I could get the same closeness out of a brush lather but it's just not possible.

I think the main reason for this is that the shaving cream and residual shaving cream don't ever leave the skin therefore constantly providing a base film for protection and moisturisation. I can literally go up and down face all day long with a 37C and Nacet until i eliminate every hair with NO irritation whatsoever.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Working from home during these crazy times I am inclined to take more time shaving and/or try different things. Today I used a D.R. Harris shaving soap puck to crayon on some shave soap thinking I would try shaving without using a brush. With whetted fingers I just rubbed it in some and then shaved. I did all three passes like this a got a great shave.

And that is my report from Woebegone. :cool:

I did this several times (different soap), before I got a brush for travel. I've also done it since, when travelling light. Always had a great shave.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
When bar soap hand lather wasn‘t working for against-the-grain passes under chin, Neutrogena Sensitive shaving cream saved the day a few times. Runny, nigh-greasy feeling, but effective.

When I tried Cremo and when I tried KMF brushless, it was a long time before I realized they still needed lots of water to work their spectacular magicks (and KMF can lose its slickness quickly once the threshold into too much water is crossed). The Neutrogena Sensitive coddled me that way.

I want to spout all praises for the Cremogena Plus recipe @ShaverAZ developed, but haven’t tried it brushless. After spending time dialing in the right mix of water to cream in its lather, I’d feel sad to use it any other way. Probably completely perfect and a saver of precious time, but it’s my whiskers’ final meal before getting unceremoniously discarded in the mass grave that’s my bathroom sink.

• Haha
Top Bottom