What's new

No artisan shave creams?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
According to the Proraso web site, the company was founded in 1908 by a master barber in Italy. Of course, World War I and World War II kind of messed with things. Proraso as we now think of it has been produced since 1948. Thus, in my mind at least, it qualifies as a traditional soap, although they do come out with new varieties and formulas from time to time. According to Wikipedia,it seems Proraso is owned by Ludovico Martelli srl which is now partly owned by a Chinese company. This hardly sounds like an artisan.

Gillette has been around since 1900. They come out with new versions of their canned foams and gels every few years. I doubt anyone would consider them to be an artisan soapmaker.

Typically, I think of an artisan as being primarily under the control of one individual who is largely responsible for the development, production, marketing and sale of the product. There may be those who assist that individual in accomplishing those tasks. Som some are truly the work of a single person, whether male or female. Others may be a family operation or a small business.
It looks like Chinese financing acquired 30% of Proraso in 2019.

there are quite a few artsy cream purveyors still around, just have to research.
altho i'm still a little bewildered at that defines 'artisinal' and why that's so different from others?

artsy creams.jpg

I would highly recommend Taconic if you're looking for an artisan cream. I have the Bay Rum and the Lavender and Lime, they both smell terrific and shave great. They're both quite slick as well. The value is there too as the pump containers are pretty large.

I prefer creams to soaps. I gather that the below are pretty small scale producers. Good products too.

Nancy Boy (available in USA only)
Castle Forbes
Antica Barbieria Colla

Years ago, before artisan soaps were common, Queen Charlotte Soaps made a wonderful, tallow-based cream...they were by far my favorite shave product while they lasted. My QCS creams are also one of the few shaving products that don't seem to have stood the test of time -- last I tried one of them, it didn't seem to lather right. So there definitely seems to be something to @Burundian Hawk's theory about preservatives.

If Al's shaving cream is still around, they are an artisan cream maker.

Some of the small soapmakers also have creams, like Captain's Choice and Taconic Shave.

You can try some small cream makers like eshave, NY shaving company, or from brush makers like wet shaving products, simpsons, etc.

If you look around online or on shaving product vendor sites you'll see some other options if you're trying to support small businesses.

I just realized I did mistype the subject of the thread, making it sound like I was looking for artisan creams instead of what I intended to ask: "why there are lesser number of artisan creams than artisan soaps". All the recommendations from all of you for artisan creams have been as helpful as the answer to the intended question though! - so cheers to all the helpful replies :thumbup:

had a great shave today with this early Fitjars sandalwood cream!
Still a little befuddled as to why 'artisinal' is so special...I like a product because of its performance, intrinsics and value!
Whether it's made in small batches by elves is neither here nor there, IMHO!

fitjar sandalwood art of shaving kai april 25 2021.jpg

Top Bottom