What's new

No alum feedback, some alcohol feedback - is that right?

I almost never have feedback from alum after a shave. But I do get some feedback from alcohol-based astringent. Is that similar to what others get with astringent or alcohol-based aftershave? Am I right to assume that is not due to a bad shave and just exfoliation? Or do I still have work to do on my technique?

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There is no right and wrong, just do what you like. An aftershave burn is only a sign of a bad shave if you do not like it. I love a fierce burn from an alcohol aftershave and am happy to shave too close in order to get it. No burn for me is a sign of poor aftershave or not shaving close enough. Others will think differently.

I don't use much alcohol based aftershave but the same thing will happen to me on occasion. Alum rinse, maybe some tiny sting on a particularly close shave. But if I follow with an alcohol based aftershave, yeah, I can get the burn. In other words, I think rubbing salt on your wounds is more gentile than alcohol.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Everything okay, nothing wrong with what you described.

Unless you cut yourself there is no need for alum. For disinfection it doesn't offer much, actually almost nothing, it is a salt, it is to stop bleeding. We don't throw salt on wounds to disinfect them! Hopefully. 😎

Pain and pain resistance is very individual. Some burn is quite normal and the goal is not to NOT feel anything. In this case you could just use Nivea balm if you don't want that. I personally prefer alcoholic after shave as they evaporate/dry much more quickly. Most balms take too long for my liking to dry.

Some razors can shave so close that they indeed exfoliate the skin. R41 marble/glass skin effect e g.. some burn can happen.

Irritation after shaving is something you should avoid, a little alcoholic sting doesn't mean you have to change your technique or razor. ✌️

If I get little to no feedback from my aftershave I know that I did a good job. If I get a strong burn I know that I overshaved. Note that I always do 3 pass shave ATG included and always aim for a BBS.

Yes, no feedback at all from the alum, which is a good thing and I think it means my shaving technique is good.

Just wondering what the alcohol feedback might be telling me. With my smoothest razors, I get less alcohol tingle, so I am guessing it is just a little exfoliation. I don't have any razor irritation or razor burn.

Yes, no feedback at all from the alum, which is a good thing and I think it means my shaving technique is good.

Just wondering what the alcohol feedback might be telling me. With my smoothest razors, I get less alcohol tingle, so I am guessing it is just a little exfoliation. I don't have any razor irritation or razor burn.
I think you answered your own question.

There is no right and wrong, just do what you like. An aftershave burn is only a sign of a bad shave if you do not like it. I love a fierce burn from an alcohol aftershave and am happy to shave too close in order to get it. No burn for me is a sign of poor aftershave or not shaving close enough. Others will think differently.
Agree. Some AS with a lot of alcohol you just feel after each shave (even with very mild razor) at least a bit. And I like it.

Top Bottom