What's new

No alternate jerseys next season as Adidas takes over NHL uniforms

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Awww man...mo more 3rd sweaters for the 2017-18 season??? :001_huh:

Jared Clinton - Hockey News - 9 Jan 17

"Bad news for fans of the aesthetic side of hockey as the league is reportedly set to nix alternate jerseys for 2017-18 as part of the introduction of the Adidas line of jerseys.

Fans who enjoy jersey design and the unique looks teams can sport on a nightly basis won’t be thrilled to learn that the NHL will reportedly be doing away with alternate jerseys for next season.

That’s right. No more third jerseys will be in the mix next season, as Reebok waves goodbye to the NHL after 10 years as the league’s jersey designer and gives way for Adidas to come in and pick up where their subsidiary left off.

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo, the league’s 30 teams — and soon to be 31 when the Vegas Golden Knights officially join the fray in 2017-18 — have been informed that in order to make “the initial implementation of new sweaters easier” teams will be allowed to only rock either a home or road sweater for the entire campaign. That’s a great number of alternates that will be retired at the end of the 2016-17.

The uniform database for this season at NHLUniforms.com shows the league is split almost entirely down the middle, with 17 teams rocking an alternate sweater and the remaining 13 without one for the current campaign. Most of the ‘Original Six’ is included in the group without alternates, with the Boston Bruins and the New York Rangers being the only two with a regular alternate as part of their game-day attire. Also included in the no-alternate category is the Arizona Coyotes, Buffalo Sabres, Dallas Stars, Florida Panthers, Nashville Predators, New Jersey Devils, Pittsburgh Penguins, St. Louis Blues and Winnipeg Jets.

It’s an especially tough break for several of the league’s teams who’ve just recently introduced their alternates, too. Since the start of the 2015-16 season, the Bruins, Anaheim Ducks, Calgary Flames, Colorado Avalanche, Edmonton Oilers, New York Islanders, San Jose Sharks and Washington Capitals have introduced new alternates. Some of those — like the Ducks’ orange ‘Mighty Ducks’ throwback, Flames’ white ‘C’ and Capitals’ retro-style jersey — have become instant favorites.

That the league is leaving every team without an alternate is somewhat puzzling given that it’s a potential revenue stream that is being taken off the table, but before teams or fans go blaming the league or Adidas, it’s worth noting that this isn’t the first time alternates have been taken away".

Read More: No alternate jerseys next season as Adidas takes over NHL uniforms

proxy.php
“Hockey...The Coolest Game on Earth”!! NHL Official Slogan

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, guess I'm in the minority, being admittedly more of a traditionalist. The alternative unis just have never made my socks go up and down. I do hope all the children in Sri Lanka who get paid the big bucks to produce them will find other income streams. As for the marketing crowd that garners (not earns, that implies labor & some value added) money by making a beloved team look like clowns, it wouldn't hurt if a few of that breed starved off during the cruel winter to come .. but that's probably like wishing Gillette would bring back the Bostonian ..

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, guess I'm in the minority, being admittedly more of a traditionalist. The alternative unis just have never made my socks go up and down. I do hope all the children in Sri Lanka who get paid the big bucks to produce them will find other income streams. As for the marketing crowd that garners (not earns, that implies labor & some value added) money by making a beloved team look like clowns, it wouldn't hurt if a few of that breed starved off during the cruel winter to come .. but that's probably like wishing Gillette would bring back the Bostonian ..
I hate alternate NFL jerseys. I am a Steelers fan, but the bumble bee shirts are hideous.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't know if they are hideous - but they sure make me laugh. It is "interesting" to see a 300 lb lineman wearing them. :c1:
Yeah, horizontal stripes aren't really slimming :lol: Sadly, they have a pretty good winning record with them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Montreal Canadiens 1912, back when nobody cared:

proxy.php

The worst "alternate jersey" ever ...

proxy.php

... and IIRC, they had a very bad record wearing that abomination.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You don't see the name Noseworthy much anymore

Montreal Canadiens 1912, back when nobody cared:

proxy.php

The worst "alternate jersey" ever ...

proxy.php

... and IIRC, they had a very bad record wearing that abomination.

Top Bottom