What's new

NNSN: NobleNamekian's Shaving Notes

IMG_20220513_130126.jpg

SOTD 13th May 2022 - Modern May Challenge (8)

Pre-shave:
Hot Water & Proraso Green
Lather: Proraso White
Brush: Benny's Synthetic
Razor: Gillette Guard
Post Shave: Old Spice & Scottish Fine Soap's Thistle and Black Pepper Balm

Something a little different today. I thought I'd give the Gillette Guard a go and see if it would be good for me as a travel razor. In short, it's quite good for what it is and the price. Provided a pretty close shave after three passes. At the time it felt smooth and comfortable, but 30 mins after the shave. I had quite a bit of redness on my cheeks and chin. I think this was partly down to my technique and partly down to the razor. All in all not bad! 3 pass DFS (WTG, XTG, ATG).

IMG_20220515_175050.jpg

SOTD 15th May 2022 - Modern May Challenge (9)

Pre-shave:
Lather: Proraso Green
Razor: Baili BD176
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Post Shave: Alum & Scottish Fine Soap's Thistle and Black Pepper Balm

I thought I'd give the Gillette Silver Blue another go. In short, I take back everything I said after first trying this blade - it is very good!

I'm not sure if it was the Benny's Shaving Cream that I used last shave that didn't help (I thought it lathered OK), but just in case, I switched back to my usual Proraso. I took extra care not too apply too much pressure and not chase BBS. 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG). Each pass was extremely comfortable. I can see why this blade is popular, very comfortable and smooth whilst still sharp enough to provide a close shave. I have very little irritation, apart from a tiny spot on my neck, post with Alum gave me very little feedback. Very happy and sure I will return to this blade. DFS.

Note to self: zero pressure is the key! :straight:

IMG_20220518_170119 (1).jpg

SOTD 18th May 2022 - Modern May Challenge (10)

Pre-shave:
Razor: Feather Popular
Blade: Feather (4), retired and swapped to a new Feather (1)
Post Shave: Proraso Green & Scottish Fine Soap's Thistle and Black Pepper Balm

Decided to go with all Proraso Green for a menthol kick, since it's finely warming up here in the NE of Scotland! :thumbup1:

Also my first shave with the Feather Popular.

I had 3 days of growth and decided to start with an old Feather blade to see if I could get another shave out of it. The Popular was pretty jumpy on the first pass, I know it's a mild razor, but I think it was the old Feather blades fault. I decided to swap it for a new one for the 2nd pass. After that, the Popular shaved much better, very smooth and comfortable. Completed 3 passes (WTG x 2, XTG) - I think this combo is better for me just now whilst I improve my technique. I really enjoyed the shave and ended up with a DFS result. My biggest surprise was when I went over my face with the Alum - I had very little feedback, a tiny bit on my chin and on the left of my neck which is a usual trouble spot. No weepers, cuts or irritation at all. It seems like my technique may be improving! :thumbup:

Very comfortable and close shave - probably my favourite shave with a DE so far, tied with the Gillette Ball-end Tech and Feather. My preference definitely seems to be mild razors with sharp blades!

Again I am very happy with face lathering and I made sure to use zero pressure which turned out great!

IMG_20220520_145429.jpg

SOTD 20th May 2022 - Modern May Challenge (11)

Pre-shave:
Razor: Henson Mild
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Post Shave: Alum, Proraso Green & Scottish Fine Soap's Thistle and Black Pepper Balm

My first shave with the Henson Mild. I now understand why this razor is so popular!

I had 2 days of growth and decided to use an Astra SP. From my reading, these are what used to come with the Henson (mine came with RK) and I'm familiar with them. I've never been the biggest fan of the Astra SP's. They do seem quite sharp, but I've never gotten the smoothest shave with them. However, the Astra SPs in the Henson seemed to work like a dream. Very smooth, no tugging or jumping whatsoever. The Henson cleanly cut through my hair with no issues. It felt very easy and intuitive to use with the shape of the head. I did get a slight suction feeling that others have been described with this razor, but it didn't really bother me at all. I rinsed the head under water more often to ensure slickness. I think a thinner/wetter lather would work better, as others have eluded to when using this razor.

I can see why people compare it to a cartridge, it does feel like cheating compared to other DE razors to an extent, but it does offer a very easy, mild shave with minimal nicks, cuts and irritation. It's ease of use gives you confidence and encourages you to see what you can do. I gave my neck two against the grain passes, which is something I'd never do with any other razor, but the Henson pushes you on. 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) I ended up with a BBS shave on cheeks and most of neck, with DFS around my jawline. I had 1 tiny weeper, minimal irritation on my neck, just very slight feedback from the Alum.

All in all this is an excellent razor. I can easily see it being my go to daily driver and my other razors taking the back seat in my rotation, with probably the Feather Popular, Gillette Techs and Fatip Grande being my other favourites.

Again I am very happy with face lathering, (it could have been a bit wetter this time) and zero pressure definitely works.

View attachment 1459396

SOTD 20th May 2022 - Modern May Challenge (11)

Pre-shave:
Razor: Henson Mild
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Post Shave: Alum, Proraso Green & Scottish Fine Soap's Thistle and Black Pepper Balm

My first shave with the Henson Mild. I now understand why this razor is so popular!

I had 2 days of growth and decided to use an Astra SP. From my reading, these are what used to come with the Henson (mine came with RK) and I'm familiar with them. I've never been the biggest fan of the Astra SP's. They do seem quite sharp, but I've never gotten the smoothest shave with them. However, the Astra SPs in the Henson seemed to work like a dream. Very smooth, no tugging or jumping whatsoever. The Henson cleanly cut through my hair with no issues. It felt very easy and intuitive to use with the shape of the head. I did get a slight suction feeling that others have been described with this razor, but it didn't really bother me at all. I rinsed the head under water more often to ensure slickness. I think a thinner/wetter lather would work better, as others have eluded to when using this razor.

I can see why people compare it to a cartridge, it does feel like cheating compared to other DE razors to an extent, but it does offer a very easy, mild shave with minimal nicks, cuts and irritation. It's ease of use gives you confidence and encourages you to see what you can do. I gave my neck two against the grain passes, which is something I'd never do with any other razor, but the Henson pushes you on. 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) I ended up with a BBS shave on cheeks and most of neck, with DFS around my jawline. I had 1 tiny weeper, minimal irritation on my neck, just very slight feedback from the Alum.

All in all this is an excellent razor. I can easily see it being my go to daily driver and my other razors taking the back seat in my rotation, with probably the Feather Popular, Gillette Techs and Fatip Grande being my other favourites.

Again I am very happy with face lathering, (it could have been a bit wetter this time) and zero pressure definitely works.
Excellent report! These kind of detailed reviews encourage us to continue to try to help potential buyers and newbies over at the Henson razor club.

I am very happy it is working out well for you. Do eventually try out a Kai, it’s a kind of right of passage. ;)

Excellent report! These kind of detailed reviews encourage us to continue to try to help potential buyers and newbies over at the Henson razor club.

I am very happy it is working out well for you. Do eventually try out a Kai, it’s a kind of right of passage. ;)
No problem, thanks for helping me out in picking the right razor for me! I will definitely give it a try with the a Kai sometime and report my findings here. I imagine the extra blade width will really take the Henson up a notch! 😝

IMG_20220522_135501.jpg

SOTD 22nd May 2022 - Modern May Challenge (12)

Pre-shave:
Lather: Proraso Red
Razor: Feather Popular
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (1)
Post Shave: Alum, Old Spice & Scottish Fine Soap's Thistle and Black Pepper Balm

First shave with a Bic Chrome Platinum and another fine shave with the Feather Popular.

I definitely enjoyed the Bic Chrome Platinum - it does feel like a very sharp blade, definitely on par with a Feather and maybe even a bit sharper, at least from my first impression. It also felt slightly smoother than a Feather, not Gillette Silver Blue smooth but pretty good. It will be interesting to see how much shaves I can get with it, as I can only really get 4 shaves out of a Feather. Completed 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) - Another excellent shave and ended up with a DFS result. Similar to last time, I had very little feedback with the Alum, some on my chin and the usual problem areas of my neck. A couple of weepers but no biggie.

Top Bottom