What's new

njt's shave journey v2

Thanks for the recommendations! I was unfamiliar with Aframes. The JNAT that I have is actually from Alex, but is best used as a finisher (Ozaki, asagi 5+). I endured much frustration until I finally used it strictly as a finisher, and then the lightbulb dawned. I've used it with excellent success on 3 different razors of late, going Chosera 1K, Naniwa 5K/8K/12K, then the JNAT with just misty slurry from the tomo - Bingo! But I would definitely like to get another type JNAT that I could do the mid-range work on. :001_cool:

Excellent - Yes, the proper tool for the job at hand is critical. I found out the hard way.

So.... do I have a mid-range JNat for you. I was told I could finish a razor on it but now I'm not so sure. It was the first JNat I bought from one of the very busy honing "elite" here on B&B. Its an incredible stone but I think too soft for the final finish. PM me if interested.

$asagi-2b_med_hr.jpg

Great exchange of information for those of us trying to figure this all out. Thanks so much!!

Thank you so much for weighing in on the soaps. We have hard well water here; 330ppm mineral count. The soap has to be very hi performance, slick and cushiony to work.

I will look at some of these other names you mention before I run out of Tabac.

Thanks so much Attila!

Some have complained that Mystic Waters can be a bit harder to lather in harder water. However, my friend here in Vancouver Celestino did an experiment whereby he got someone to send him some of their very hard water in a plastic bottle and he used it to lather a Mystic Waters soap. He told me he had no problems getting a great lather from it.

I thought I would just add that as an aside. But really, I have not found anything easier to lather than Tabac except the Proraso Soaps perhaps. But Tabac is one of the slickest soaps I have EVER used.

Razor: Brian Brown 6/8 shorty Spanish Point

Shave: #12

Prep: Hot shower, lather face before stropping
Soap: Tabac
Strop: Kanayama 50/30
HHT pre shave: 3/4
HHT post shave: 3/4
Grind: half hollow
Shave: Two pass with touchups
After shave - splash of Thayers rose witch hazel, Jasons vitamin E creme

HHT still seems to becoming a little more hit and miss. I plan to keep shaving on this edge till Saturday when I will have time to slow down and really take the time to gauge it. Shaves are still wonderful.

I have noticed that technique is coming in to play a bit more now on the shaving part of things. If I keep the spine low, sometimes right on my face, I am golden. Smooth and excellent, close shave. Too much tilt up and its too aggressive feeling.

In the past year I have learned to shave with the spine almost on my skin. I always have dabs of lather on the tip of my thumb and forefinger of the hand holding the razor after a pass. Picking the spine up too much doesn't seem to get me a closer shave. It just irritates the skin particularly the neck and mustache areas.

Did I mention I haven't cut myself in over a year? I shouldn't say that and jinx myself. But I think keeping the spine down has done a lot to keep cuts from happening. I cut myself badly on the chin a couple times when I was learning, and on days I shouldn't have been shaving with a straight razor; like my mom's funeral. Lessons learned.

Thanks for reading.

Some have complained that Mystic Waters can be a bit harder to lather in harder water. However, my friend here in Vancouver Celestino did an experiment whereby he got someone to send him some of their very hard water in a plastic bottle and he used it to lather a Mystic Waters soap. He told me he had no problems getting a great lather from it.

I thought I would just add that as an aside. But really, I have not found anything easier to lather than Tabac except the Proraso Soaps perhaps. But Tabac is one of the slickest soaps I have EVER used.

Thank you so much. You are saving me a lot of $:) I am super happy with the Tabac so far. The smell is familiar. I am guessing my Dad used it with a Gillette Fat Boy when I was just knee high. Something about the scent and the white ceramic/glass mug it is sparking a few memories.

Thanks again. Knowledge is power.

Shave: #14

Shave: Once pass with touchups on chin and mustache - BBS here and there; a really good shave.

Just a really great shave again form this razor and soap.

On a stropping note; I think I have noticed that X pattern stropping is bringing the edge keenness back better and quite quickly VS. straight back and forth passes. Of course I am most comfortable with straight back and forth passes as that is what I have the most practice making. I am going to put a lot more emphasis on X passes and see where that leads.

Happy weekend and thanks for reading.

Shave since last touch-up: #16

Shave: Once pass

Did a strict one pass shave today. Seems the edge is still doing great. I am bored so decided to try an experiment. I honed the edge on my mid-range JNat using the "science of sharp" simple honing method. HHT after the touch-up is very very close to what it was before the touch-up. I didn't expect to get HHT 5 with the softer stone. BUT - maybe this edge will be smoother?? Maybe I will like it more?? We shall see:)

Thanks for reading.

....On a stropping note; I think I have noticed that X pattern stropping is bringing the edge keenness back better and quite quickly VS. straight back and forth passes. Of course I am most comfortable with straight back and forth passes as that is what I have the most practice making. I am going to put a lot more emphasis on X passes and see where that leads....

Even on my 3" strops, I still do the X-pattern.

....I honed the edge on my mid-range JNat using the "science of sharp" simple honing method. HHT after the touch-up is very very close to what it was before the touch-up. I didn't expect to get HHT 5 with the softer stone. BUT - maybe this edge will be smoother?? Maybe I will like it more?? We shall see:)

I'll be interested to hear how this turned out. I'll have to look up the "science of sharp".

Shave since last touch-up: #1

HHT pre shave: 3
HHT post shave: 3
Stone used for honing: Asagi Goma
Shave: Once pass with xtg on chin

Today I learned that an edge can perform to very high standards (i.e. a close shave) and be unbelievably comfortable. I never truly thought those two edge attributes could live together in one edge but I am here to tell you they can. This Asagi Goma is quite a bit softer than my Nakayama. It is silky smooth under the edge. A stark contrast to my super hard Nakayama. I have to rub away to get swarf or a head of steam with the Tomo on the Nak. The edges it yields are super fine and incredibly keen. HHT 4 to 5 all day long. The Asagi Goma HHT3 is the best I can do with some random 4's. I would never have guessed that the shave would be so incredibly close. As good as any shave I've ever had - but the reason I am flipping out is how incredibly comfortable it was. Like the edge on the stone itself, the shave was silky and smooth. Not a hint of any discomfort anywhere. Now I know what others have talked about on this forum and experienced it for myself. You can have a silky smooth and incredibly close shave all in one. Hard to describe but the edge doesn't feel like its there... It doesn't feel sharp, or like it will catch on anything. It just glides smoothly and makes little sound. I believe the term is silk squeegee??

It will take a couple weeks to see how it holds up. I am hopeful that is will be a robust edge not being quite as fine. But will it continue to shave so closely?

A week or so ago I said I didn't want to change anything about my shave routine. I felt a bit uneasy putting that down on "paper" and this experience is why. I'd shave every hour on an edge that feels like this all day long. OK - so now maybe I wouldn't change a thing:)

Thanks for reading!

Shave since last touch-up: #2

Yup - I like this new edge. It will take a couple months and a few touch ups to understand it better. Only the second shave but I think its a closer shave per/pass. The beard had not grown back as much overnight. Held up incredibly close all day and overnight.

The term I was looking for yesterday was "velvet squeegee".

I don't understand how it can shave closer but not HHT as well. I'd need a ESM to see whats going on from a scientific perspective. Whatever - its working at the moment. If the edge lasts a couple dozen shaves I'll be super happy.

When velvet squeegee has been mentioned in posts I imagined it was like a rare wild animal sighting. At least around here. I couldn't hone a blade to save my life. I did receive a Le Grelot, one with Swiss steel, half hollow, that gave a taste of the keen but mellow edge. Sort of like a promise faintly whispered into the ear. You turn and say "what"? but she is gone.

Thanks for reading.

Shave since last touch-up: #3

Just amazing - uber close and uber comfortable all at the same time. Straight razor heaven.

Shave since last touch-up: #8

The edge seems to be quite robust. The comfort and the close shave are still there. I'm going to shave on it till I notice a difference or I get bored:)

Plan to hone up the Bengall with the Asagi Goma JNat and finish with the Science of Sharp honing methods to see if I can take some of the harshness off this blade. When I honed it up last on the hard Nakayama it came out HHT5 with a few 4's and was a bit irritating on the ATG pass to my neck. I like the Bengall and would like to use it until I buy another Brian Brown shorty. It is a full hollow. I have always had some trouble handling blades that are this thin in terms of irritation.

Hope you are all well. Thanks for reading.

You're on a roll.

BTW, I have two Bengalls's, one half hollow and the other full hollow - both outstanding razors! The full hollow took an excellent JNAT finish - it's one of my "Top 5" favorite straights.

I hope I do not jinx myself, but I find the edge from the lapping film very sharp and much more prone to cutting me than the edges I have recently gotten off a borrowed coti. It is great to get a very close and comfortable straight shave.

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

You're on a roll.

BTW, I have two Bengalls's, one half hollow and the other full hollow - both outstanding razors! The full hollow took an excellent JNAT finish - it's one of my "Top 5" favorite straights.

I like the size and feel of the Bengall. I didn't know they made them in half-hollows too! I may try and track one down:)

My straight razor journey has zigged and zagged. I wouldn't be shocked to hone up the full hollow using the Asagi Goma JNat and declare it the best thing since sliced bread.

Thanks for chiming in about the half hollow and the Bengall brand in general. It was one of the first razors I bought and dumb luck that I liked it so much.

I hope I do not jinx myself, but I find the edge from the lapping film very sharp and much more prone to cutting me than the edges I have recently gotten off a borrowed coti. It is great to get a very close and comfortable straight shave.

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Pete - that was my experience with lapping film too. Did you try putting a layer of wet paper under the final film in order to soften the edge a bit? It did make it a little better for me in terms of comfort. Just a little. I didn't like the edge. As you say it always seemed to want to cut me.

Congrats on what sounds like a jump forward with the Coti. I've never tried or shaved off one of those edges. I got in to JNats when I received a razor that was honed on one and liked it. Recently I gave a softer JNat that I have a try and just love the edge. As close a shave as anything I've tried but super comfortable all at the same time. Doesn't make sense to me that it can shave so close and be so comfortable all at once but I have heard from others in the honing forum that both aspects can be had in the same edge.

As my friend Attila says, congratulations on making another step and discovery on the journey! Thank you for chiming in.

Shave since last touch-up: #1

HHT pre shave: 4
HHT post shave: 4

I completed 12 shaves on the last touch-up. I really felt it was giving out yesterday so back to the JNat. This time, using the Science of Sharp simple honing method, I changed it up a bit. Todd says to use 150-200 grams of pressure on the diamond pasted and clean leather strops. He is also a proponent of not using too light a touch on the hones either if I remember correctly. Something like "feather light touch is not needed". I agree up to a point. I have a gram scale and use it to "calibrate" my feel before I strop. Yesterday I went quite a bit lighter on the JNat to finish, as well as the diamond sprayed strop and the clean leather. I was treated to a keener blade that is HHT4, and a terrific, effortless and still comfortable shave. Even though the edge is keener it doesn't feel sharp or as if it would cut me.

I really like his method in that it is open to interpretation and modification. He uses Shapton hones, I use JNats. Huge difference in feel. Both will yield sharp/keen edges but the experience of that edge on the face are night and day.... to me.

I am hoping to get more shaves out of this edge. The last edge was just HHT3 off the hone. A step up may mean more shaves till touchups are needed. I hope:)

Thanks for reading.

Well guys, it's been a while since I checked in. The journey continues where I left off 6 months ago. Still using the same Brian Brown shorty razor and silky smooth JNAT. Most of the refinement has been around stropping and shave technique. I am happy with the latter, still working on the former. By necessity I took a Tony Miller travel strop with me on a trip recently. It has a super fast finish on it, very low drag. I loved it.. I loved what it did to my edges. I'm speaking to Tony about him making me something similar in a full size "at home" strop. Not sure why this strop clicked so well with me and my razor but I intend to find out. My go-to strops have been a Kanayama 60k and a Walkin Horse Horsebutt. For some reason this miniscule and very fast TM strop is helping me maintain my edges much better.

Wishing you you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday filled with cheer.

Top Bottom