What's new

Nivea shaving cream - too dry

My Nivea cream was made in India in 2002 and says on the box 'New international formulation' and 'Use by 2004 for the best results'. It lathers nicely but it dries out quickly. The worst thing, however, is that it dries my skin a bit too much and that affects the quality of shave quite dramatically.

Bearing in mind that it was supposed to have been used about eight years ago, is the current stuff worth getting? Maybe I just need to use more water.

My Nivea cream was made in India in 2002 and says on the box 'New international formulation' and 'Use by 2004 for the best results'. It lathers nicely but it dries out quickly. The worst thing, however, is that it dries my skin a bit too much and that affects the quality of shave quite dramatically.

Bearing in mind that it was supposed to have been used about eight years ago, is the current stuff worth getting? Maybe I just need to use more water.

I have never tried the Indian formulation, but Nivea Made In Germany was my staple cream for many years and is a great performer. I would suggest making a bowl of lather with the cream that you have left and slowly adding a few drops of water at a time whilst you keep mixing. It can be surprising how much water a shaving lather will absorb before it starts to break down.

Yeah, mine's from Germany, too. Lathers great, holds greats, smells great, shaves great. Very underrrated cream. Mine also takes a ton of water in the bowl. Good suggestion.

Thanks everyone. I tried it to-day and took more time to build the lather adding as much water as it could take and the performance was excellent.

Nivea is the best cheap shaving cream sold here in Canada in my humble opinion. Not like we have a lot of variety on the shelves to begin with.
I like the scent. I notice a bit of mint now in the new formulation.
What I really appreciate about Nivea is that I can count on zero irritation when I use this one.

I have the made in India version. Not quite as old as the OPs, but its about 3-4 yrs old. I have not noticed a dropoff in performance - I find it to be excellent.

My Nivea cream was made in India in 2002 and says on the box 'New international formulation' and 'Use by 2004 for the best results'... Maybe I just need to use more water.

You've answered your own question, do a test lather adding water until the cream seems sufficiently wet, than add ~1/2 teaspoon more and continue lathering ~1 minute, add second 1/2 teaspoon and test the consistency.

Top Bottom