What's new

Nivea Sensitive shave cream (tube)

I was online earlier today while reordering some supplies for my basic skin care routine. I’ve recently switched back to Nivea as it’s always been kind to my face over the years.

Anyhow, I noticed the sensitive shave cream tube was an offering and for $5 CDN, I figured why not. I had tried the blue tube labelled “mild” a few years back and could never really get past that Nivea “signature” scent. It’s not terrible…it’s just not for me.

My mother is German and we always had a tin of Nivea cream in the house. When I started shaving as a young man, Nivea sensitive in the can was one of my preferred options. I think we all know someone who has used the sensitive balm. I have and still use it in my rotation. In fact it was the first ASB I used when I was about 16.

I’m looking forward to trying it out, more so for nostalgic purposes…at least I hope. I haven’t seen a ton of recent reviews on this product. I gather it’s not the most luxurious cream out there, but sometimes the cheap creams are sleepers. Here’s hoping.

IMG_0277.jpeg

My mother too was German and a great believer in the ubiquitous Nivea Creme in the blue tin.
I still buy tins of this cream from time to time, but use Nivea Body Milk more often.

I also like the Nivea shaving creams, but for some reason they never seem to make it into my regular rotation.
They work well, there is nothing wrong with them, but I just seem to reach for other products more often and a tube of Nivea shaving cream seems to lasts me forever.

Maybe their low-key, understated scent just doesn’t tickle my fancy enough, because I slap their similarly scented Body Milk onto my face every day.

B.

Last edited:
Sensitive variant isn’t sold in Germany, can be found in other countries. Protect and Care works well for sensitive skin. The blue tube been around longer.

Oh that's gorgeous cream, what a lather:straight:And this light scent is pleasurable as well...
I bought several tubes when it was a sale. Something around 2 USD per tube

Arrived in the mail this afternoon. After dinner I retreated to the den and gave it a test lather.

Warm water on the brush, no soaking. Painted the wet brush across my face to hydrate.
Added a small, pea sized amount of Nivea to the brush and face lathered, adding a few drops of water to the brush only once.

Lots of fantastic lather so far. I didn’t complete a shave so I can’t yet comment on slickness, comfort, etc.

I let the lather rest on my face for about 2-3 mins… no drying effect. That’s a plus.

Scent is very faint. Clean, and pleasant, but I would not classify it as a light scent… I would say almost non-existent. It’s there however. This will pair well with any aftershave or cologne of my choosing.

So far I like what I’m seeing.

Had a chance to shave with it finally and I will say this. I wasn’t blown away, but I wasn’t disappointed either. Lathers well, smells nice and isn’t over powering.

Is it as slick as the blue Nivea tube or even Green Proraso? Not to me. It‘s really a no nonsense cream that gets the job done and gets it done well. There was no residual left on my face after the first pass, which I could tell quite obviously when performing touch ups.

Would I buy it again? Possibly. I think I owe it a few more shaves, other than one, to really form an opinion.

As of right now, for budget creams available to me, I still feel like I‘d reach for the green Proraso first…but time will tell.

the nivea usa website doesnt talk about the creams.. so can anyone share some ingredient lists with me?

and how does it compare to ach brito creams?

Nivea tailors their products to specific markets and what is available in one country may not be available in the neighbouring one.

Sensitive (white) Shaving Cream.
Special Ingredients*: Chamomile, does not contain alcohol
Ingredients:
Aqua, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil, Parfum, Dimethicone, Maris Sal, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana Bark/Leaf Extract, Maltodextrin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride

Protect & Care (blue) Shaving Cream.
Special Ingredients*:
Aloe Vera, Provitamin B5
Ingredients:
Aqua, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil, Parfum, Dimethicone, Maris Sal, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana Bark/Leaf Extract, Maltodextrin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride.

They work well enough for me and I like and use other Nivea products regularly, but as I lather mainly with shaving soaps I buy Nivea shaving creams only off and on.

Not sure which Ach. Brito shaving cream you have in mind.
I use Ach. Bito Lavanda sometimes and Lavanda has a slightly stronger lavender scent, while Nivea builds a creamier lather (not that Lavanda is lacking in that respect) and has a more warmer, milkier (a.k.a. typical Nivea) scent. Their Protect & Care and Sensitive After Shave Balms complement quite well the scent profile of the creams and may give you an idea if you have used them before.
Ach. Brito Mogno shaving cream is more similar to Nivea both in scent and lather, but seems to have been discontinued.
Ach. Brito Musgo Real is more like the Lavanda shaving cream, but in an entirely different price range.

Hope this helps,

B.

* labelled as such by Nivea

Last edited:
Top Bottom