What's new

Nivea sensitive post shave balm

Happy New Year everyone, I would like some suggestions on balm/aftershave.

I have been using nivea sensitive post shave balm, but it doesn't seem to work very well on my skin. It doesn't sooth or stop my skin from turning red and itching after shaving. Does anyone have any suggestions on aftershave/balm that might work better? Cheers guys.

Tough one @Seds, 'cause Nivea Sensitive has 0% alcohol and is indeed meant to calm the skin, with Chamomile and Witch Hazel.

Some people may be allergic to Witch Hazel... like 1 out of 10M, but maybe your the one.

That said, if your face is red and itching after the shave, it's more likely your technique needs improvement. No balm will instantly cure severely bad shave.

Attachments

• 1609947447524.png
    1609947447524.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 25
I agree with DaveHStone, it seems you might have a problem with your technique and/or setup.

Maybe you should experiment with the frequency of your shaves, the coatings on your blades, the pressure / angle used when shaving and the number of passes.

What kind of razor do you have?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I love Nivea balm, always helps if I have a poor shave. If you are looking for something else I also use witch hazel or a rose water/glycerine mix

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nivea is my go to aftershave balm just about everyday. I also like some L’Oréal Aftershave Balms. Research L’Oréal Aftershave Balms and see what you think. They are also alcohol free and around the $10 mark here in Australia.

I agree with DaveHStone, it seems you might have a problem with your technique and/or setup.

Maybe you should experiment with the frequency of your shaves, the coatings on your blades, the pressure / angle used when shaving and the number of passes.

What kind of razor do you have?

I use MERKUR 34C razor, I need to do about 5 passes for my face to be completely shaved.

That might be the reason why.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The Stray Whisker is a shaving supply shop in the Blue Mountains here in NSW. It is a great shop to visit. I went there when we went on holidays the year before last. I left with a considerably lighter wallet than when I walked in.

I use MERKUR 34C razor, I need to do about 5 passes for my face to be completely shaved.

That might be the reason why.
@Seds, right there lies the root cause of your problem - no one "needs" to do 5 passes.

And I will go against the popular opinion on 34C. There are better choices.

I can't stress enough that DE blades (no matter what razor you use) will always have a bit of a chatter and skipping, due to them blades being so thin. This razor skipping is the main cause of irritation, as you need to go over the same spot multiple times.

My advice to people having irritation from a DE is to pick a razor that is MILD, but use extremely sharp blades, Feather to be exact.

A better alternative altogether would be an AC-type modern SE razor, like RazoRock Hawk. I have the v3 with standard base. It's divinely mild, yet gives super close shave, zero irritation. AC blades are tick and rigid, thus ensuring there is no blade skipping.

At the end of the day, although YMMV, to avoid having razor burn, it will always boil down to but a few fundamentals:

Good face prep
Using mild razor, paired with sharp (not mild) blade
Avoiding going over and over the same spot w/o re-lathering
Avoid going ATG and buffing, until the irritation is gone completely

And the obvious one - use a quality soap/cream, that will ensure effortless glide and provide good residual slickness.

If you do the above, I'm sure you'll find Nivea to be a great A/S balm 😎

Good luck!

@Seds, right there lies the root cause of your problem - no one "needs" to do 5 passes.

And I will go against the popular opinion on 34C. There are better choices.

I can't stress enough that DE blades (no matter what razor you use) will always have a bit of a chatter and skipping, due to them blades being so thin. This razor skipping is the main cause of irritation, as you need to go over the same spot multiple times.

My advice to people having irritation from a DE is to pick a razor that is MILD, but use extremely sharp blades, Feather to be exact.

A better alternative altogether would be an AC-type modern SE razor, like RazoRock Hawk. I have the v3 with standard base. It's divinely mild, yet gives super close shave, zero irritation. AC blades are tick and rigid, thus ensuring there is no blade skipping.

At the end of the day, although YMMV, to avoid having razor burn, it will always boil down to but a few fundamentals:

Good face prep
Using mild razor, paired with sharp (not mild) blade
Avoiding going over and over the same spot w/o re-lathering
Avoid going ATG and buffing, until the irritation is gone completely

And the obvious one - use a quality soap/cream, that will ensure effortless glide and provide good residual slickness.

If you do the above, I'm sure you'll find Nivea to be a great A/S balm 😎

Good luck!

Thanks for your help, I'm also using Astra blades and if I don't go ATG I don't get all the hair.

I recommend Ogallala bay rum for that soothing feeling (just kidding!).

Yeah, the number of passes is probably the issue. I'm more of a one-pass, maybe two at most, kind of guy. Also, watch your pressure with the razor.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you get razor burn or redness I sometimes use Clear Aloe Vera gel first and then use some balm and it calms the skin down.
I use clear Aloe vera gel as part of my pre-shave procedure, Brush wash face with CeraVe first and then apply clear aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Z-Pre shave products (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

I had trouble removing hair with the 34C as well. I tried the Merkur open comb, which helped, but still too mild. Shimming with one blade made a very good improvement with the open comb. Try a shim in the 34C.

I just recently picked up the Nivea sensitive post shave balm so haven't been using long but I like it so far. I have a few balms that are scented and wanted something without a heavy scent for days when I am going to use a cologne or after shave. I also have sensitive skin.

I am relatively new to DE shaving and, as others have said, it could be your technique. It took me a bit to learn not to put pressure while shaving and just let the razor do the work. Early on I was getting a lot of irritation but not so much now unless I overdo with extra passes or excessive clean up.

I have problems with balms if my face has irritation. It has to be close to perfect or my neck becomes red and blotchy. I like to splash on witch hazel like thayers and the next day use a balm like nivea. Less passes is always best.

I've been using Nivea Post Shave Balm for Sensitive skin for a long time now. I add some 100% hylauoronoc acid and menthol to it & it's great!

This original post about Nivea Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm. To bring it back. I really love this product. Feels great, and is soothing. Even though the scent vanishes in 30 seconds, it's great

Top Bottom