What's new

Nivea Sensitive Cooling Balm

I have been dealing with increasingly sensitized skin in the past month, so I've had to try to look for different products than what I used in my past. My shaving patterns have changed, too. I used to be an infrequent shaver and used a Gillette Guard, a Turkish boar brush, and Williams Mug Soap, and now I'm shaving most days with a DE and using different kinds of brushes (often badgers or synthetics). Given that, I have started having to be careful about using traditional aftershaves.

So, I was perusing Target with my brother on Saturday and I saw some Nivea Cooling balm and on a whim I decided to buy it to try out. I'm very pleased with it. It's less expensive than most aftershaves but it seems to work very well at cooling razor burn and restoring moisture to skin. It differs from the regular Nivea in two ways- it has a subtle cooling effect due to using a menthol derivative (menthoxypropanediol) which is four times weaker in effect than menthol, and it contains bladderwrack extract, which is anti-inflammatory and is trendy in women's beauty products for being an alleged fountain of youth for skin. It helps restore skin elasticity and seems to be a general skin tonic or skin food that might be especially helpful for building up sensitive skin's defenses.

The scent of Nivea's balm is very subtle, doesn't last long, and doesn't seem to interfere with any fragrances you wear. It's a subtle modern aquatic, fresh type fragrance that blends well with the witch hazel and herbal notes in the balm (indeed, there's a trend of women buying Nivea shaving balm to use as a makeup foundation, so there's nothing particularly assertive or strong about the fragrance).

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nivea make fantastic shaving products. I am a big fan of their shaving creams and all the balms and the lotions. Even the canned products are fantastic. Yeah, I am a huge fan. Glad you found them as well.

Nivea make fantastic shaving products. I am a big fan of their shaving creams and all the balms and the lotions. Even the canned products are fantastic. Yeah, I am a huge fan. Glad you found them as well.

I've used the lathering shaving cream in the past and it was one of the better mass-market, inexpensive creams out there on store shelves in the US.

I also like the Nivea hand cream. They now have a more masculine scent available (the older scent was very powdery grandma smelling stuff, a synthetic rose maybe?). It's god to use after a dirty job where you wash your hands with detergent and your hands become parched.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
And you are correct about the scent being very light. You can get the benefit of the balm and the lotions and still use a good spray cologne and the scents don’t get to intermingled.

I'm more ambivalent about scents in my shave products now days. I want the shave product to smell good, but I don't need it to function like a cologne. Plus scents increase the risk of sensitisation and dermatitis. I can no longer splash on your typical bay rum or spice aftershave without my face going nuts (I love the scents but I use them more as colognes or hair tonics).

I’m also a big fan of the Nivea sensitive post shave balms . Both the regular and cooling . Been using them after my splash for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...indeed, there's a trend of women buying Nivea shaving balm to use as a makeup foundation, so there's nothing particularly assertive or strong about the fragrance.

They use it because of the tacky / sticky residue it leaves after application, which is the main reason some shavers strongly dislike this balm. I personally don't mind that from balms and lotions considering it lasts no longer than few minutes on me.

They use it because of the tacky / sticky residue it leaves after application, which is the main reason some shavers strongly dislike this balm. I personally don't mind that from balms and lotions considering it lasts no longer than few minutes on me.

It's a case of YMMV. If you have oily skin, this probably isn't the product for you.

Also, I find it helpful to apply a small amount to wet skin and spread it around.

It's a case of YMMV. If you have oily skin, this probably isn't the product for you.

Also, I find it helpful to apply a small amount to wet skin and spread it around.

It's going to be tacky/sticky regardless what your skin is like. Absorption on the other hand will depend on a person's skin type. This balm isn't greasy at all IMO.

I have been dealing with increasingly sensitized skin in the past month, so I've had to try to look for different products than what I used in my past. My shaving patterns have changed, too. I used to be an infrequent shaver and used a Gillette Guard, a Turkish boar brush, and Williams Mug Soap, and now I'm shaving most days with a DE and using different kinds of brushes (often badgers or synthetics). Given that, I have started having to be careful about using traditional aftershaves.

So, I was perusing Target with my brother on Saturday and I saw some Nivea Cooling balm and on a whim I decided to buy it to try out. I'm very pleased with it. It's less expensive than most aftershaves but it seems to work very well at cooling razor burn and restoring moisture to skin. It differs from the regular Nivea in two ways- it has a subtle cooling effect due to using a menthol derivative (menthoxypropanediol) which is four times weaker in effect than menthol, and it contains bladderwrack extract, which is anti-inflammatory and is trendy in women's beauty products for being an alleged fountain of youth for skin. It helps restore skin elasticity and seems to be a general skin tonic or skin food that might be especially helpful for building up sensitive skin's defenses.

The scent of Nivea's balm is very subtle, doesn't last long, and doesn't seem to interfere with any fragrances you wear. It's a subtle modern aquatic, fresh type fragrance that blends well with the witch hazel and herbal notes in the balm (indeed, there's a trend of women buying Nivea shaving balm to use as a makeup foundation, so there's nothing particularly assertive or strong about the fragrance).

I recently got the Nivea sensitive skin aftershave balm after seeing nothing but good reviews on it and I’m glad I did. It has become my favorite!

M

Member 113878

Don't know if they changed the formula recently, but I've used this on and off for years, but now I get a sting on the face when I use it.
I'm okay with the splash though.

M

Member 113878

Gave it another try today, from a new bottle I bought yesterday, and still got the same sting and redness on the neck. Weird.

Top Bottom