What's new

NIVEA MEN BODY SHAVING STICK

I'm a bit of a sucker for shaving sticks, so couldn't resist when I spotted this in the supermarket for £3 (Palmolive has a lot to answer for though, as I was a little put off by the "high" cost!):-
proxy.php

NIVEA MEN BODY SHAVING STICK

I didn't even notice the "body" part at 1st, but I'll just ignore that.

I must have the bug, because I was instantly eyeing up the container for possible Arko use in the future.

Anyone else tried it? I did google when I got in and found 1 pretty damning review, so my expectations have been lowered somewhat, but I live in hope.

No I recently saw a couple shavers on YouTube using it but it seems to only be available in Europe. I would like to get one. Let me know if it’s good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't yet spotted that one and would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

If you have a moment, could you please share the ingredient list with us?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
If you have a moment, could you please share the ingredient list with us?

Aqua, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sorbitol, Sodium Xylene Sulfonate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Parfum, CI 77891
  • Light foamy formula allows a precision shave
Too much SLS for me I'm afraid.

Right, 1st shave done!

First thing that was obvious compared to my other sticks was the size/packaging:-
proxy.php

Considering it's only 75 ml, it's quite a bit bigger than my other sticks (It is slightly closer to the camera in the picture too), but it does have a proper sturdy container with a wind up dispenser and a (needlessly big!) screw on lid.

Whether it's over packaged, or the others are under packaged, I'll leave you to decide, but I'm probably erring towards the over packaged side for me. There's quite a lot of plastic container for the quantity of soap and if used regularly, would seem quite wasteful plastic wise. I guess they're trying to give the impression of getting more for your money.

The option to buy refils for £1 or £2 would be nice.

On to the shave. I shave in the shower normally, so it was quite handy and easy to apply without getting the rest of the stick wet, or soap everywhere. The soap itself seemed fairly soft and went directly on to my wet face with no problems.

There wasn't much scent I could detect, but my sense of smell isn't the best. it certainly wasn't unpleasant, or strong smelling to me.

The lather itself seemed fine. I don't bother with a brush and just go for a decent covering on the wet side, by rubbing it in with my wet finger tips. It wasn't super foamy, but produced quite a nice slick covering with no problems and gave a nice shave.

I usually keep my left hand soapy and use that to reapply soap when necessary, whilst shaving with my right hand. That worked perfectly well and it gave me an easy and pleasant close shave.

After shave feel seems good. My face feels nice and soft, but I don't have particluarly sensitive skin.

Overall, it seems pretty decent and comparable to the likes of Palmolive for me and the sturdy container could be handy. Of course, it is 4 times more expensive than Palmolive for us brits who can buy Palmolive sticks for £0.49 (and Arko for less than £1). That and the plastic overpackaging would probably limit it's appeal to me for a daily/regular soap, but I'd certainly be happy using it occasionally as part of a rotation and the container would be handy to reuse or for travelling (though it could easily be quite a bit less bulky. Or more full of soap!).

I hope that helps. Of course, YMMV. In particular I don't really lather my soaps up much, or use a brush, so bear that in mind.

I'm intrigued. I prefer shave sticks to soaps as I mainly shave in the shower. Maybe a US supplier will stock these in the future.

Right, 1st shave done!

First thing that was obvious compared to my other sticks was the size/packaging:-
proxy.php

Considering it's only 75 ml, it's quite a bit bigger than my other sticks (It is slightly closer to the camera in the picture too), but it does have a proper sturdy container with a wind up dispenser and a (needlessly big!) screw on lid.

Whether it's over packaged, or the others are under packaged, I'll leave you to decide, but I'm probably erring towards the over packaged side for me. There's quite a lot of plastic container for the quantity of soap and if used regularly, would seem quite wasteful plastic wise. I guess they're trying to give the impression of getting more for your money.

The option to buy refils for £1 or £2 would be nice.

On to the shave. I shave in the shower normally, so it was quite handy and easy to apply without getting the rest of the stick wet, or soap everywhere. The soap itself seemed fairly soft and went directly on to my wet face with no problems.

There wasn't much scent I could detect, but my sense of smell isn't the best. it certainly wasn't unpleasant, or strong smelling to me.

The lather itself seemed fine. I don't bother with a brush and just go for a decent covering on the wet side, by rubbing it in with my wet finger tips. It wasn't super foamy, but produced quite a nice slick covering with no problems and gave a nice shave.

I usually keep my left hand soapy and use that to reapply soap when necessary, whilst shaving with my right hand. That worked perfectly well and it gave me an easy and pleasant close shave.

After shave feel seems good. My face feels nice and soft, but I don't have particluarly sensitive skin.

Overall, it seems pretty decent and comparable to the likes of Palmolive for me and the sturdy container could be handy. Of course, it is 4 times more expensive than Palmolive for us brits who can buy Palmolive sticks for £0.49 (and Arko for less than £1). That and the plastic overpackaging would probably limit it's appeal to me for a daily/regular soap, but I'd certainly be happy using it occasionally as part of a rotation and the container would be handy to reuse or for travelling (though it could easily be quite a bit less bulky. Or more full of soap!).

I hope that helps. Of course, YMMV. In particular I don't really lather my soaps up much, or use a brush, so bear that in mind.

That's interesting you don't use a brush. I get just okay shaves when I don't use a brush.

That's interesting you don't use a brush. I get just okay shaves when I don't use a brush.
I do own a brush, but don't often bother with it and normally get nice shaves. As I'm shaving in the shower, it's one less thing to worry about (and clean up after!). I just don't rinse my left hand, so it's still soapy and use that to reapply soap between passses.

It must be one of those YMMV things, but it doesn't seem that unusual if you google it or search this site:-
Using Shaving cream without a brush?
Can you use shaving cream in tube WITHOUT a brush?
Newbie Question: Use Shaving Cream without Bowl or Brush?
Anyone Use a Shave Stick WITOUT a Brush
Anyone ever used Proraso without a brush?

This quote from one of those threads sums up my "technique" (or lack of) nicely:-
"Just to be clear, when I originally mentioned that I apply shaving cream directly to my face, I in no sense lather with it - I effectively rub it in for maybe 5-10 seconds, and what results is in no way comparable to a lather got by agitating in a bowl with a brush, its far less foamy and dense, but ultra-slick and very effective."

What part of the shave suffers when you don't use the brush? It may be that as I'm shaving in the shower, my hair is already nicely softened and prepped, so i can get away without the brush work doing any prep and the wet "lather" lubricates the blade nicely.

Aqua, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sorbitol, Sodium Xylene Sulfonate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Parfum, CI 77891
  • Light foamy formula allows a precision shave
Too much SLS for me I'm afraid.

Thanks Doug. Hard to imagine it taking over from Palmolive or Speick in that case!

Nice! While I am not a shave stick kind of guy, I am a big Nivea fan. Hopefully the folks who run Nivea will see fit to stock the Canadian market with this product.

I'm intrigued. I prefer shave sticks to soaps as I mainly shave in the shower. Maybe a US supplier will stock these in the future.
Don't hold your breath ... US Suppliers only carry a fraction of all the Nivea products out there, and its rare when something new is introduced, even though that same product has been available overseas for years.

That container looks about the size of the Tabac shave stick. A hard case is really nice when traveling.

I don't have a Tabac stick yet, but I have been eyeing it up and will probably "invest" in some at some point (because I really need more soap sticks obviously!). If/when I do, I'll let you know how the sizes compare.

BTW, walgreens (At least in Massachusetts) carries this product now, they had VDH soaps on clearance as well as Aqua velva balm last few weeks. seems the nivea body shaving stuff replaced the slots... dont buy this online, cheaper at walgreens

Don't hold your breath ... US Suppliers only carry a fraction of all the Nivea products out there, and its rare when something new is introduced, even though that same product has been available overseas for years.
wrong, walgreens has this.

Top Bottom