What's new

Nivea for Men Replenishing balm discussion thread

No one using this balm? Or no survivors??? :biggrin:

Well, I don't like Nivea products...
There's no particular reason for this I could easily explain. I tried the shaving cream, old and recent formulation, and found them pretty good. Many years ago, I had a very unpleasant skin reaction to the sensitive after shave balm; this must have been one of the first or maybe even the first Nivea sensitive formulations at the time; next to the skin reaction, I remember that I disliked about all the balm's properties, smell, consistency, tackiness, etc. After reading the above reviews about the replenishing balm, curiosity led me to give it a try. Expectations were low to begin with and I was already prepared to wash the stuff off quickly if the need should arise. I don't like it to say, but I was more than pleasantly surprised by how this balm works. I'm not crazy about the smell and would rather like something different or better, neutral smelling, but I can live with it. I barely notice any alcohol burning. The soothing qualities are very good, quick and lasting; works great against skin burn, or prevents it from even becoming apparent altogether. Like described by the original reviewer, moisturization could be better, on the other hand, I really like the toning effect of the balm leaving the skin matte without any tackiness or greasy layer; after a day of wearing this balm, the skin is left very soft and supple, without any irritation or redness showing. I like this balm for sweaty day use. If so desired, dry problem areas can be additionally treated with a moisturizer; I found the Nivea cooling balm working well for this purpose as it tends not to be absorbed completely if applied somewhat liberally.
I use the Nivea Replenishing Balm very liberally on the wet face after the cold water rinse and apply a second layer around my mouth after the first application has been absorbed; this works well for me.

Did I say that I don't like Nivea products? I think one of these days, I'll have to give the sensitive balm another try, too. :rolleyes:

I tried this stuff. I had to toss it out after 3 days.

I have skin that tends to get flaky after shaving, especially if I'm running late and have to shave fast. I generally count on aftershave and then moisturizer to keep this at bay. When I substituted in the Nivea balm, I had the worst case of face dandruff ever... it took a week of using my regular products to get back to normal.

I had similar experiences with their shaving cream and a couple of their face washes.

I will never use another Nivea product.

SgtFist, if you're looking for a good moisturizing balm, that's more moisturizing that Nivea try these;

Caswell Massey balms - Unlike their soaps/creams, CM did it right w/their balms. If you read the ingredients list, they're loaded w/great stuff for the skin, but also have quite a few parabens. The almond is my favorite, but I've also tried Greenbriar & Sandalwood and found them excellent.

Hydrolast conditioner - Top tier and all natural. Very flexible considering you're supposed to use a very small amt and "cut" it w/water. Adjust the water/balm ratio and it provides a very good year round balm.

Art of Shaving balms - These tend to "seal" the skin pretty well and can be a bit too moisturizing for some (but not greasy). Good stuff, but expensive, and I've heard that some peope get a sting from them when applied.

I have a tube of CM Sandalwood or 1752 A/S balm...don't care for it. It reminds me of GFT CSF but not quite as good.

I love the Nivea Sensitive A/S. I got a sample of the moisturizing cream yesterday, and it works really well too. What other Nivea products are good?

I like the sensitive skin Nivea AS Balm, but more when it's cool than in the summer. Similar to C&E balm, which is great but very expensive.

I don't like the other Nivea products I've tried though.

Try GFT Coral Skin food if you can stand the price.

The GFT skin food isn't actually that expensive on a per use basis - a little goes a long way.

I've been using my bottle since June and have hardly made a dent - including the amount I decanted into a small travel container.

I have two Nivea aftershave products - the Soothing and the Cooling (I think that's the name, it has a blue cap).

Both are great products that are a terrific value and easy to find.

I have a tube of CM Sandalwood or 1752 A/S balm...don't care for it. It reminds me of GFT CSF but not quite as good.

I love the Nivea Sensitive A/S. I got a sample of the moisturizing cream yesterday, and it works really well too. What other Nivea products are good?

Moisturizing cream : was that the Sensitive lotion ?

I have and I like :

-Sensitive Face Wash
-Sensitive Face AS Balm
-Sensitive Face Lotion (although I also like regular Coppertone as a face lotion)
-Nivea Moisturizing Shave gel (but I don't like the Sensitive Gel)

I got a sample of "Nivea Soft - Refreshingly Soft Moisturizing Creme" at a hotel I stayed at. I am using it as a hand lotion.

Top Bottom