What's new

nivea ASB

Of the 3 nivea ASB readily available (sensitive, replenishing, cooling) what one do you like the most and why?

Just curious.

FYI.
according to skindeep.com nivea's ASB (and Gillette as well) seem to be cancer in a bottle

The Replenishing Balm is my favorite Nivea product. I don't worry about the cancer. Besides, 99% of all people who have died of cancer ate mashed potatoes at least once in their life. Stay away from potatoes.:biggrin:

Aaron

The replenishing balm. Smells great. Except the new boxes out say "new fragrance". I smelled it & thought it smelled like Elmers glue :bored:

Cooling, especially during the summer months, the cooling is not long lasting but it is refreshing after a shave, has a bit of an alcohol bite to it but not so bad. I also use the sensitive as an all round moisturizer.

I have the cooling, and the EXTREME! shave balm. I like the extreme for soothing and moisturizing, but the cooling provides a nice feel.

I have used the Cooling in the summer because it is, well, cooling. I use the Replenishing during the colder months because my skin tends to dry out, and this balances everything out for me. I use the Sensitive when I am a little too aggressive, and beat up my face a little bit. The smells don't last on me, and though they are good, they are nothing to write home about.

FYI.
according to skindeep.com nivea's ASB (and Gillette as well) seem to be cancer in a bottle

Thanks for the link/reference to this website. It's run by a group called the Environmental Working Group.

So I checked out the Environmental Working Group's website, briefly. Indeed, the information that I read (about BPA from plastic bottles) was loaded with opinion and suggestion, and with very little referenced to back up their bias. For example, there was a (legit) study that demonstrated that more BPA was excreted by a non-random group of students after a week of consuming cold beverages from bottles containing BPA. Okay. That seems pretty straight forward.

The EWG article then went on to suggest that BPA was extremely toxic to these students. That may also be the case, the EWG didn't have any reference to back up this suggestion. After a whole bunch of "mights" & "possiblies" one can say almost anything.

For example, you should never cross a street because a bus might surprise you and run you over and then your day is really screwed.

Yep, technically that could happen. Yep, that would (probably) ruin the rest of your day.

Sorry for launching into a bit of a rant about this. It's just that I don't know if these sorts of sites do more harm (by scaring folks with misleading information) than good (by providing legitimate information to so people can make up their own mind).

I try to be mindful of what I put on and in my body. But I don't want to my face to crack open and bleed because I don't put anything on it after I scrape off a layer of skin with a very sharp blade. I guess everything we do has a cost. We should just be aware of that.

That said, I use Nivea ASB for sensitive skin. It seems to do the trick, though I'm by no means wedded to it. I'm just trying it out, for now.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Cheers,
Matthew

Thanks for the link/reference to this website. It's run by a group called the Environmental Working Group.

So I checked out the Environmental Working Group's website, briefly. Indeed, the information that I read (about BPA from plastic bottles) was loaded with opinion and suggestion, and with very little referenced to back up their bias. For example, there was a (legit) study that demonstrated that more BPA was excreted by a non-random group of students after a week of consuming cold beverages from bottles containing BPA. Okay. That seems pretty straight forward.

The EWG article then went on to suggest that BPA was extremely toxic to these students. That may also be the case, the EWG didn't have any reference to back up this suggestion. After a whole bunch of "mights" & "possiblies" one can say almost anything.

For example, you should never cross a street because a bus might surprise you and run you over and then your day is really screwed.

Yep, technically that could happen. Yep, that would (probably) ruin the rest of your day.

Sorry for launching into a bit of a rant about this. It's just that I don't know if these sorts of sites do more harm (by scaring folks with misleading information) than good (by providing legitimate information to so people can make up their own mind).

I try to be mindful of what I put on and in my body. But I don't want to my face to crack open and bleed because I don't put anything on it after I scrape off a layer of skin with a very sharp blade. I guess everything we do has a cost. We should just be aware of that.

That said, I use Nivea ASB for sensitive skin. It seems to do the trick, though I'm by no means wedded to it. I'm just trying it out, for now.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Cheers,
Matthew

It is not fully known if some of the effects of BPA are coincidental or not. Correlation does not prove causation. And what you said about certain groups (for any reason) misleading people is something I don't like! +1 for you.

I also like the highlighted part, because I started riding my new motorcycle yesterday and cracked open the throttle a little too much in a turn on my way home from work today and almost skidded the rear tire across the friggin intersection. But did the cute girls next to me at the next intersection see me? Oh yes they did (I do not condone showing off to chicks--keep your eyes and mind on the road!)

I was looking for something to put on after being to rough with the DE. I think Ill go for the sensitive since since my face is already chewed up. Ill just hope I dont grow 4 neoplastic growths in the process....j/k.

thanks.

I just want to chime in about skindeep's "rating".

Skindeep Rating of Nivea for men Replenishing Aftershave Balm (normal to dry skin)
If you look at which ingredients are actually linked to cancer, the only link is denatured alcohol.
If you dig further as to why they consider denatured alcohol to be a cancer risk, you'll find:
"About ALCOHOL DENATURED: Ethanol is grain alcohol, considered broadly toxic and linked to birth defects. Potential risks from ethanol in personal care products, however, are dwarfed by risks posed from the consumption of alcoholic beverages."​
So suspending the belief that there is even a link between Ethanol and cancer at all, according to them using this product poses a much smaller health risk than drinking beer...
Dig further on the matter and you'll find out that the studies linking Ethanol to cancer are all burning it in automotive applications. The chemicals produced from the reaction could be carcinogens, not the Ethanol itself.

Read further down the list of ingredients and the "hazards" they are linked to, and you'll quickly come to the conclusion that their ratings carry about as much truth to them as an episode of my little pony...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I like the sensitve. It gets the job done without a huge scent. I can then apply any cologne that I want!

Hey Matthew, everyone these days are telling us everything is gonna kill us. Guess What Matthew? Your gonna DIE, so am I and everyone on B&B we just can't escape the fact, that we ALL are gonna DIE!!!!! Just use the AS you like cause your gonna DIE of something anyway....

Sensitive. Frankly, you could get away with it for the duration and be just fine -- of course that would be no fun.

cooling. feels great after aqua velva, and smells pretty good.

the aroma of the other two, to me, is gaggamaggot.

So suspending the belief that there is even a link between Ethanol and cancer at all, according to them using this product poses a much smaller health risk than drinking beer...
Dig further on the matter and you'll find out that the studies linking Ethanol to cancer are all burning it in automotive applications. The chemicals produced from the reaction could be carcinogens, not the Ethanol itself.

Excessive consumption of ethanol and it's byproducts most certainly causes cancer. Many different kinds. The WHO classifies alcohol as a carcinogen.

Start your reading here and branch out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_and_cancer

Top Bottom