What's new

Nippon PIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
***PIF has ended. Blackbear has been chosen*** Thank you all for participating

Hello Gentleman

First I would like to thank you all from the bottom of every hair follicle on my face for all the help I’ve received to make my wet shaving experience as smooth:001_rolle as possible. I’m a member on a couple of online forums and B&B is the most gentlemanly by far.

The concept of a PIF to me, is something that I wish our society as a whole could embrace. Although I have never been the beneficiary of one, I would love to make someone’s day.

This PIF is for a Muhle Sandalwood puck of soap. I’ve used this about 7 times and is in very good condition. You can still see the logo and writing on it. For some reason, this soap is just not for me. I will also include this Japanese bowl that I have been using to hold the soap. If you are not interested in this bowl, you can let me know after you’ve won. I will also include a pack of 10 unopened feather razors that are sold in Japan. I've never used the yellow label ones and I don’t think these are sold outside of Japan so hopefully you'll think it's cool. They’re my favorite razors and give me a super close shave (maybe not good for sensitive skinners). Shipping will be paid for but if there are any import charges, they will be your responsibility.

$IMG_6782.jpg$IMG_6784.jpg$IMG_6786.jpg$IMG_6787.jpg

• You have one year to do a PIF. Shipping must be paid by you when you do it. (Most important of the three rules)
  • Ideally this PIF is for someone else in Japan. But I know that there aren't many of us so the order will try to follow SE Asia or Australia and then everywhere else.
  • In your “I’m in” you must say “Sanka suru” and I want to hear about something you’ve started doing/ found out that improved your shave. It can be anything from a loading technique to flipping your blade after each use. That way even if you don’t get the PIF, you’ve got a tidbit from others in this thread to help you shaving.

The winner will be chosen by the fourth page of this thread (if it even gets that many responses)and will be shipped the first weekend after the winner is chosen. (It’s hard for me to get to a post office on weekdays because of work)

Good luck everyone

Attachments

• $IMG_6783.jpg
    $IMG_6783.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
I'm in! 参加する

For me, I've discovered that prep and good beard hydration is the most important element!

Thank you for the kindness of your PIF

I'm in. Sanka suru. I started to put hair conditioner on my face during my morning shower to soften the hair so that it is easier to cut.

Sanka suru.I have been been soaking my brush in the shower and then rinsing my blade under the tap rather than wasting water by filling up the sink

Cool PIF Senshi! I'm not in (I'm in the States, probably too far), but I did want to share one recent epiphany that has really improved my shave. Take the time to map out your hair growth. I was having issues with razor burn and irritation on my neck. Found out that the hair grows in several directions and thus my 1st pass wasn't always WTG. That has improved my shave considerably. Good luck, whoever wins this will have a beautiful shaving bowl.

Sorry didn't read the rules well enough. I'm in the states so I guess that makes me out. Sorry about that.

Sanka suru and Domo Arigato for the PIF!

after testing many DE blades the Feathers are once that I ended up with in my top 3 rotation .. would love to try the black label to compare em to the yellow one.

as for shaving .. not overdoing/over-thinking things .. go with the flow .. relax and enjoy (and respect the blade). I'm now down to two passes for a complete shave even when I have 10 days growth of beard.

For some tip (that kinda works for me) is to try to get some outdoors time under the sun when ever possible (bit hard for most of us with today's jobs getting stuck in an office) .. best preshave for me at least :) after my holidays I always get the best shaves with zero irritation ..

Not in as I'm in the USA, But just wanted to say this is a great PIF. I love that little bowl and it would be great to try these red Feathers.

One thing I do (not sure if it is really that big a difference maker) is to pat dry (not wipe) and hand strop the blade after use, before I put it back in the razor. Maybe a waste of time, but I feel confident there is no residual soap scum on my blades.

Congratulations! You are the winner of the Nippon PIF. Please check your pm's.

I'm in! 参加する

For me, I've discovered that prep and good beard hydration is the most important element!

Thank you for the kindness of your PIF

Im in! Sanka suru

I listened to advice that your beard can grow im different directions and I discovered that on my neck it grows from ear to ear. Since then I get a great shave on my neck.

Dammit, I posted after the pif had been won. I always chuckle when i see that

congrats to the winner!!

:thumbup: Thank you so much Senshi! Very humbled to be the winner :) Will look forward to trying the soap (plus that cute bowl!) and feathers, sandalwood is one of my favourite scents! I will certainly be putting together a PIF again at some stage in the near future - I think it's a wonderful and unique part of this shaving forum.

Thanks again!

Well, firsty, let me say that this review is a little overdue, so apologies to all. I won this most excellent PIF from Senshi some time ago, postage from Japan took quite a while and I was away at work when it arrived ( I work away for 3 weeks at a time, 1600kms from home) so AT LAST! Last week when home, I had a chance to go thru the parcel :)

A very generous PIF was given by Senshi that not only included the aforementioned soap/bowl and feather blades, but quite a few extra 'goodies' as well, there was a great cotton, Japanese head scarf, some packets of Nori for sushi making, a small money tin with the map of Japan printed on it - will make a perfect blade bank! Some small packets of tissues, which I gave to SWMBO as she is off at the moment on a missionary trip to the jungles of Borneo and these are the perfect things to take, and finally a cake of Japanese Charcoal soap (have been using this the past few days as a face soap - it's great!)

Anyhow, over the month of No(mo)vember, I had been growing a moustache and going for the Clark Gable, pencil style :) to keep this thing trimmed neatly I decided to stick with a razor with a smallish/thin head, so settled on my Gillette Gold Tech with black bakelite handle. I popped one of the feather's in (from the PIF) they are the feathers with the black/silver logo's - I have had a pack of these before, maybe in a sampler pack? (can't remember) anyhow I know they are super blades and perform best for me with a mild razor, like the tech.

The Muhle sandalwood soap smelled great as a dry puck, but as I lathered it the smell seemed to fade somewhat. The performance of the soap was not too bad, very similar to the EJ soaps - the lather tends to break down a little too rapidly for my liking, but I got a good 2 pass shave from a brushful. As expected the feather blade sliced through 2-3 days growth with ease and I will add that the ceramic bowl was superb to handle and load from - it's the perfect size for those smaller pucks.

Thanks again to Senshi for the most generous PIF, packaging was top notch, everything arrived intact and was well protected, and as promised I will indeed be offering up a PIF in the new year that will open to international members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom