What's new

NINTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2018 Edition

Schick Proline - Shave 8

8.jpg

Photo not up to my usual standards - out of practice!

I am way behind - had to go upstate for business for five days and was reduced to a cartridge razor and brushless cream. Have to get that travel kit together! But I'm going to take this blade to 23 (beating last year's mark on the KAI Captain Titan Mild) if at all possible, even if it takes me into March.

This was a Ghost Town Barber shave on one day's growth, which felt like two day's growth because of the cartridge. Except for the first shave, which was sharp as the dickens, I've been getting better and better shaves with this thing as time goes on. 2-1/2 passes, BBS, and virtually no alum or AS sting. Zowie.

How are the Feather AC blades going for others?

Doin' OK, Chad! I'm new to the Proline, but in general I've only used two DE blades I would put up with the ACs. I'm happy as a clam!

OBIF Shave #12
1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable
Gillette Silver Blue (12)
Razorock Big Bruce
Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Soap and AS

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave No.16 Derby Premium

Today led to some irritation, and I had to reach for the Nivea Balm. I did a light bounce test, and there is now reflection occurring on almost the full length of each edge. In truth, I should have called it a day yesterday, and for the purposes of my ongoing blade assessment, the Derby Premium will be recorded as 15 shaves.

We are now in the territory of "How long can Al go with a spent blade?" In years gone by, when I wasn't shaving every day, I would have possibly tolerated this for a good while longer. In those days, I only bought one 5 blade box at a time, and might have to keep going until I could find time to go into town to grab another pack. These days, shaving every day, and with a box full of assorted blades in the bedroom, i'm less inclined to tolerate poor quality shaves.

I'm out, and so is the blade. Fifteen shaves is perfectly acceptably for a blade that costs about 8p when bought in bulk. If I'd shaved every other day, this blade would have seen me through February comfortably.

I'll be moving onto a Blue Diamond Titanium which has currently already got four shaves on the clock. Good luck to all who are still continuing.

OBIF Day 16 Shave 16:

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (16)
Razor: Rockwell 6S-3
Soap: Tabac
Brush: The Golden Nib Best Badger w/custom cherry handle

Still going strong.

OBIF Shave #16 (2/16/2018)
Razor: I2/1963 Gillette Slim
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue #16
Brush: B & B Essential boar - Seafoam Green (Omega)
Soap: Beehive Crisp Alpine Stream
AS: Nivea balm

No issues with the Personna Platinum on shaves 15 and 16.

Haslinger Schafmilch, and the usual routine apart from rotation of brushes (Frank Shaving silvertip yesterday, Omega 10005 today).

On day 15 I switched razors to my Aristocrat Jr, which never fails to impress at how effective it is.

Switching the razor each week is keeping it fresh for me. No complaints about the sharpness of the blade or shave quality.

On the 22nd, Old Type comes into service. Something to look forward to while enjoy the AJ.

IMG_00002669.jpg

Shave #10 - Muhle R41, Personna Lab Blue.

Somewhat better than my last shave, but took a little extra effort to get decent whisker reduction. Blade getting dull.

Day 16, Shave 16
Feather Artist Club SS straight-handle
Feather AC Pro
Cella Soap, Omega S-Brush, Nivea "Maximum Hydration" balm

This blade has dropped of quite a bit in efficiency in the last day or two. Lots of tugging and less than BBS on the neck. I can't rule out poor technique, mainly blade angle, since I am relatively new to this razor. We'll see how it goes the next few days.

OBiF Shave #14 SuperMax Tiger SP blade (8/7), Merkur 20C, B&M Reserve Spice.

This has been my 2nd SM Tiger SP blade and it's starting to leave stubble behind. I think I can get 1 more shave out of it. Still having fun...even if I'm not using 1 blade...but I'm using 1 blade brand and type...8 shaves a blade is VERY good for me.

OBIF SOTD

Blade:
Bolzano (16) :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Soap: Proraso Wood and Spice
Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
ASL: Proraso Red [Sandalwood]
upload_2018-2-17_3-41-53.png
:001_smile

February 17th
Razor: Feather SS
Blade: Feather ProGuard (17)
Soap/cream: Longrifle Voyageur
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Aftershave1: T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave2: Longrifle Voyageur

IMG_20180217_080826.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Polsilver shave #9.

47 hours since last shave.

Gillette Regent again.

Stirling Black Cherry.

First pass WTG/XTG. Second pass XTG/ATG. Third pass ATG and one clean up ATG.

A spectacular shave. Very close BBS and a smooth shave. Slight redness on my neck that was gone in minutes.

My Regent is now at the front of my shelf. That says a lot.

Shave #17. Switched to a '41 Aristocrat, and it's a much better match for this rather mild blade. Good shave, little irritation, should get 35 or shaves out of it. I think the NEW would work better with a "sharper" blade, will try it again someday. Shaves well, but this Rainbow required too much pressure in it.

• Gillette Rocket Flair Tip w/ NOS Wilkinson Sword Classic (20)
  • Vie Long brush
  • Kiss My Face as a pre-shave
  • MWF, face lathered
  • Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic
Afternoon shave. Took a little longer to deal with the extra growth, but the Wilkinson blade performed admirably.

OBiF Shave #16 SuperMax Tiger SP blade (8/8), Merkur 20C, Stirling Ozark Mountain.

2nd S-M Tiger SP blade is done, starting a new blade (from the same tuck) tomorrow. 8 shaves per blade is good for me as I normally only get between 4-6 shaves from a blade.

Shave #8
I was going to be late for a meeting because I woke up late but I was still able to get a BBS shave in 6 minutes. The shave was scratchy but it was still bearable.

Top Bottom