What's new

Nimrod Lighter questions

Whilst browsing the pipe gallery thread i saw that eagle-eye Jim pointed out a nimrod in Jmallen5's post (the lighter that is :lol:) If anybody (Jim and Jmallen included) has any insight or further pics of the workings of these things, what would be a good price for a user-grade one, and whether flints are interchangable with zippo and/or even bic disposable flints. They'd be much appreciated.

Reflecting on this as i type it, i might as well just bite the bullet and get one. Given B&B's way of convincing me i need everything i see, I give myself a week before i have one on the way :001_huh:

Heck, even if somebody has one they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable price. (Will i need to post a WTB for this? I'm sure y'all will let me know)

It's pretty simple really, works like a Zippo as far as fueling and lighting. I used a Ronson flint and Ronson fluid in mine. The spring tension is crucial to getting the right spark to ignite the flame. I picked up mine for $25.00 at a flea market with the original box and instructions, I have seen them go for less on ebay and as high as $60.00.

Whilst browsing the pipe gallery thread i saw that eagle-eye Jim pointed out a nimrod in Jmallen5's post (the lighter that is :lol:) If anybody (Jim and Jmallen included) has any insight or further pics of the workings of these things, what would be a good price for a user-grade one, and whether flints are interchangable with zippo and/or even bic disposable flints. They'd be much appreciated.

Reflecting on this as i type it, i might as well just bite the bullet and get one. Given B&B's way of convincing me i need everything i see, I give myself a week before i have one on the way :001_huh:

Heck, even if somebody has one they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable price. (Will i need to post a WTB for this? I'm sure y'all will let me know)

How many lighters does one man need, Tele?

OK, OK, mine is the fake gold version with the faux alligator skin handle. Yes, takes regular flints and Ronson wicks seem to fit better. They're easy to overfill, reasonably windproof (the wick is inside the rectangular hole in the middle and you draw the flame down onto your tobacco once it's lit) and you sure as hoick won't ever forget it's in your pocket. You fill it by unscrewing the bottom and, as the previous poster said, the tensioning screw takes a bit of fiddling.

i've picked at a few on ebay, tossing some low ball bids >$10 shipped, we'll see where i end up :thumbup1:

oddly enough i havent had a problem lighting up with my plain-jane zippo, but i'm a sucker for AD

I have something you don't. I can have an opinion about it, you can't, unless you have one.:001_smile There's your justification. You're welcome.:lol:

Came across one in the wild, but $45 is a bit steep for an unboxed one that needs work. They're a good bit bigger than i expected, i was thinking maybe spark plug/AA battery sized. It's a substantal hunk of aluminum.

I figure $13 for one shipped in decent working shape is a good deal though

http://www.icollect247.com/itempage.php?uniqueid=40340

thanks for all the encouragement enabling guys

Congratulations!

A word about the term "Nimrod" has had some negative connotations but you may be surprised to know that the name is very old and biblical in nature.

Nimrod (Hebrew: נִמְרוֹד, Modern Nimrod Tiberian Nimrōḏ Aramaic: ܢܡܪܘܕ‎ Arabic: نمرود‎) is, according to the Book of Genesis and Books of Chronicles, the son of Cush and great-grandson of Noah and the king of Shinar. He is depicted in the Bible as a man of power in the earth, a mighty hunter and rebellious toward God. Extra-Biblical traditions associating him with the Tower of Babel led to a darkening of his reputation. Several Mesopotamian ruins (see Nimrud) were given Nimrod's name by 8th century Arabs.[1]

Top Bottom