What's new

Nikon DF

Legion

Staff member
DF came out yesterday in Oz. $3200 for the body, or $3500 with a 50mm. Interest is still high, surprisingly.

I had the chance to test shoot the DF this week.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

If I had the spare coin right now I'd grab one. I still may try to figure out how to make that happen.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I like old cameras and I like modern digital, this thing looks like I might fit my needs, except for the price! I wonder if the wife will mind if I sell her car to buy this with a few lenses.... lol.

-Xander

Hi,

Resurrection thread! Oh, Yeah!

I saw this back when, and was interested. But, then stuck the idea onto the back shelf. I kept on using my two Digital versions of the Nikon F5 (jointly made with Kodak digital backs) and my D1H. All of which can use my set of (20mm to 300mm) NAI-converted, AI and AIS manual focus lenses.

What rekindled my interest in the Df was attending a wedding a couple weeks ago. It was to be a beach wedding, so I took only one camera and a couple lenses to shoot existing light. Well, that camera produces Kodachrome color, and would make for a different look than anything else, but it needs good light. It is ISO 80 to 400. And, that last stop is pretty noisy, so I do not want to go past ISO 200 with it.

Anyway, it was rainy. And dark. And the wedding was moved to the outdoor, but covered, reception area. The hired pro had to use a flash, and I didn't want to use my flash, so the camera stayed in the bag. Besides, Kodachrome can't do much with clouds and rain. As has been said, All The World Is a Sunny Day. ;)

Now for the Df. It could have worked well with its high ISO capability and a fast prime without a flash. That way, I could shoot and not bother the professional with another strobe going off.

As for the manual dials, well I had an F2, an FE, an FA and an F4 (still have) for film. All use dials. I like dials. I started into DSLRs with a Nikon E2, which was 1998, and 'full frame' but only 1.3 MP. The E2 predated the D1 and shared some F4 bits. But, I missed the F4 controls. I got used to all-menu operation, but I could drop right back into dials and not miss a beat.

Anyway, that event started me to looking at what was out there today. And, what do I see still in production? The Df! Since 2013? That has to be some sort of a record for a DSLR! And, it is what I wanted way back in the 1990s: an F3 with at least a 6 MP digital back. Well, it has 16 MP and even good for two stops faster than my 720x, which is my low-light body (only 2 MP tho).

So, having looked at what is currently available which works with my lenses, and the winner is the Df. I will still keep my 760c for the Kodachrome colors. The other two get to join my E2 on the shelf, though.

BTW, did anyone from back in 2013 get a Df?

Stan

Hi,

Thanks for the pointer. It does look like something may be coming, just not exactly when. There was nothing about it at Photokina, and I think that can be seen as later rather than sooner.

I also learned in the past two days that Nikon USA has no stock right now. Perhaps that can mean sooner rather than later.

So, let's say sooner. It likely sports more performance than I need. Heck, the current unit does that. It is replacing two F5 based DSLRs, one 6 MP ISO 80-400 and one 2 MP ISO 400-6400. This in a far smaller and lighter package. I win! ;)

So, I went for it today. I found one unit in stock. Lucky me! :) I ought to post a pic of it with that ancient AI'd 300mm f4.5 hanging off of it. :p

Further bulletins as events warrant.

Stan

Hi,

Thanks for the pointer. It does look like something may be coming, just not exactly when. There was nothing about it at Photokina, and I think that can be seen as later rather than sooner.

I also learned in the past two days that Nikon USA has no stock right now. Perhaps that can mean sooner rather than later.

So, let's say sooner. It likely sports more performance than I need. Heck, the current unit does that. It is replacing two F5 based DSLRs, one 6 MP ISO 80-400 and one 2 MP ISO 400-6400. This in a far smaller and lighter package. I win! ;)

So, I went for it today. I found one unit in stock. Lucky me! :) I ought to post a pic of it with that ancient AI'd 300mm f4.5 hanging off of it. :p

Further bulletins as events warrant.

Stan
Congrats! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Hi,

Thanks! The main use is a rather odd one. It is printing photos on textiles. As in restored cars and farm equipment for their owners. And, race cars as well. My wife's business is screenprinting, and we did some of that using those methods, but that is good for only 72 DPI.

I merged some of my electronics know-how into her world by way of a specialized inkjet printer for printing on fabric rather than paper. Think of a large format paper printer with large ink tanks, but with a flatbed one clamps fabric onto. The inks are DuPont fabric inks, so it puts down 300 DPI. Then, just use a heat press afterwards to cure the ink onto the fabric.

Suddenly, we have a photograph onto a shirt. :)

But, it needs input to work. Lots of input. The thing prints 12x18" in portrait mode. That is 3600x5400 pixels. Now, most folks want landscape mode, but that is still 3600x2400 for a 3:2 image. As in 12x8" on a shirt.

What I have been doing is using the Nikon F5 based Kodak 760 which is 3000x2000 and a little upwards resolution. That was good enough. Where I was losing it, though is with the Kodak 720x at oval races at night. That only has 2 MP but has the higher ISO. There simply wasn't enough input to the printer without so much up-rezzing that the image became very soft.

Enter in the Df at 4928x3280 and ISO up to 12,800. That is a whole stop higher than the 720x, but clean enough to be equal to three stops higher. The low end at ISO 100 is on par with the 760 at ISO 80. But, the extra resolution will come in handy.

The best part is that it will shoot more images with fewer batteries and memory cards than the 760. That thing eats power and the max card size is 2GB. So, one needs a pocket full of batteries and cards.

Of course, the fact that the Df works well with my Nikon and Zeiss bag full of prime lenses from 20mm to 300mm is also great. And, the Df is *so* much smaller than the old Kodaks. Back down to F2/F3 size. Smaller than my last remaining F4 film camera, anyway. :)

Stan

Hi,

Here is a shot (sorry, cellphone) of a shirt I did a week or so ago. From an antique farm equipment show. Taken with the 760.

IMG_20181026_163919.jpg

And, Here is a shot of the Df sitting next to the 760. The Df has the AFS variant of the Nifty Fifty on it while the 760 has the original AI variant attached. Which, is what took the pic of the tractor. :)

IMG_20181031_085742.jpg

Just for fun, Here is the Df next to my F4:

IMG_20181031_085510.jpg

Stan

Hi,

Here is an update. So far, I have used it with every lens I have. Those being AI'd (Non AI with changed aperture rings), AI, AI-S and AI-P. All the focal lengths from 20mm to 500mm (That 500mm f4 is the AI-P lens).

They all work well except for the 20mm f3.5 but then that was expected as it wasn't so hot on the 6 MP APS-H sensor either. Heck, it wasn't so hot on film way back when. But, there is the new AFS 20/1.8 and that is now on my list. As may be the AFS 28/1.8 to boot. I really didn't want the Df Lens Kit with the AFS 50/1.8 but now that I have it, I rather like it.

I only ever had one zoom lens, the old AF 28-105D f3.5-4.5 Macro. It works just as good as it ever did. Handy little sucker. But I got to thinking about adding a tele zoom, and so went shopping. I looked hard at the Nikon 80-400, the Nikon 200-500, the Tamron 150-600 and both Sigma 150-600 (Contemporary and Sport).

The Nikon 200-500 and Tamron 150-600 both won't work on my old F5 based Kodak. I need a mechanical aperture lever and they don't have one. That left the Sigmas which do. The Sport is a bit too big and I don't really need the features which make it larger. So, I got the Contemporary. And for $800, which was the best price of them all. Ironically, I hadn't asked price to begin with, but once it came up that knocked the Nikon 80-400 out of the running. Actually, that price would have knocked the other two out even if they did work with the F5.

Also at this point, the old Hi-ISO Kodak is gone, the D1H is probably also gone, as are the 500 f4P and the AIS 400/5.6. The rest I will keep. When I get a new 20mm, the old one will go on display on the F4 film body.

Stan

Top Bottom