What's new

Nikon DF

$pic_131105_01.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/11/05/nikon-df-combines-classic-design-with-modern-technology
http://www.nikon.com/news/2013/1105_dslr_01.htm

Anyone seen/heard or tried this camera yet? Looks fairly interesting. Going along with the new Fuji theme of putting all of the manual controls back to the turn of a knob. It will also take old AI and non-AI lenses which is pretty good news for those with a bunch of old glass. I absolutely love my Nikkor 50mm 1.4.

At the very least, I like the focus on ease of use (like a film camera). I've really only used Canon digital cameras. I was asked to shoot our company picnik last week with a co-workers Nikon D4 and was left baffled on how to even shoot in aperture priority mode...

Funnily enough I was discussing this with my brother yesterday as he is a Nikon buff. It's a very interesting design move and I love the look of it. We did wonder about the ageing sensor though and it is a premium price (although not much more than an entry level full frame here). Would love to hear what they shoot like.

Legion

Staff member
Hopefully I will be getting my grubby paws on one soon to have a play. I'll let you know.

I really don't need to be tempted by a new camera right now...

I love the idea, but I'm not so sure about the execution. Top-level digital capabilities without video or any other extras should certainly find a niche...... but maybe Nikon have come with too little and too late.

I'm very keen to get my hands on one.

Legion

Staff member
The price will be very dependant on how popular the model proves to be. Nikon pricing is very flexible depending on how the reviews go.

If it doesn't sell like hotcakes expect that price to fall by at least 20% very quickly.

I honestly think this will do really well. The addition of controls (return to the old design?!?) on the top of the camera is a great idea; certainly beats digging through sub-menus to find what you want. And the ability to plug in old glass will add to its appeal.

Besides which, it looks dead sexy.

And it will scare of those who buy a high end DSLR and leave it on full auto :lol:

I'd love one, but for that kind of money, I'd rather have a couple more lenses and use my Nikomat or FE2 when I'm feeling nostalgic.

I really like the looks of it....but then the old Nikon F from the '60's, early '70's really appealed to me.

Nostalgia usually only sells to a limited market. Considering this Df doesn't do video and the full frame sensor...is quite a few MP's less than the D800....which is close in price....well I think it maybe a hard sell.

I'm a bit of a nostalgia fan....back in '78 I bought a new Yamaha SR 500 single...which was a really good, nostalgic copy of old British big single cylinder motorcycles of the '50's/'60's....so I understand the appeal of Nikon retro.

If I was Nikonian rather than a Pentaxian would I get it ? Maybe... as I'm primarily a still photographer and the Df is a still camera.

Don't like the name though.....Df ? It doesn't work. I predict that by this time next year...the Df will no longer be in production as the market just ain't there for an albeitly nice looking camera....that goes for a bundle , has full frame....but not much else.

I think Nikon needs to go back to the features...drawing board. The Df needs a few more for this price point.

Last edited:
It's a lovely piece of kit, but way out of reach for most amateur photographers, I would love to own one but never will.

This is exactly the problem. I don't know many pros that are going to drop their current kit just to go for the retro look. So Nikon is marketing this to the fanboy, hipster, and amateur photographer, but if that's the case, they totally missed the mark on the price point.

I love the look, but $1k more than the D610 and 2 year old(D4) technology. I'll have to pass.

Is this model really designed for its retro appeal or is it for the functionality that the external controls provide? Its not that much more than other full frame cameras but I for one like the idea of not having to stuff around with menus. My latest has a touchscreen and its very easy to access the controls needed but its still not the same as having the turning dials.

My brother got a whole bunch of Nikon lenses that would suit this body when the local technical college disposed of their "antiquated equipment"; given that the lenses were so cheap (ie. no cost) a body at this price is not so bad.

Having discrete controls for everything is pretty sweet. I'll look at this hard in about 1 year when I can pick one up gently used.

Legion

Staff member
I had a bit of a play with one today. It was a pre-production model, so I was not allowed to put a memory card into it and check the image quality, but I got to check it out for a while, tinker with the controls and feel the ergonomics (... which there are none.)

It is lighter than I was expecting. I guess my brain was telling me it is an F3, from the looks of it, but it is magnesium not brass. I like all the dials, which are familiar to a film shooter, but it fits in the hand a bit like a brick. My first three fingers held the front of the camera, and my pinky curled underneath, with a sharp edge digging into it.

The viewfinder is nice. Focus speed is a bit meh, but acceptable. People will definitely think you are shooting film if they see you with it.

I came away thinking I wouldn't mind one, but for about 2/3 of the speculated selling price. Yes, it is a pro camera. But while the build feels nice, and it should last well, the specs in other areas are below the D610, which is way cheaper. Personally I would have priced it the same as a D610 and let the customers decide what feature benefits are more important to them.

I can't see this being a big seller unless they drop the price substantially. They are trying to sell it as a budget D4, and that is the wrong direction to go, IMO. The people who will want this camera are not D4 people.

Nice feedback David. I wondered if it would have the same heft as the F3. Makes you wonder if the production version will come in cheaper given the lower specs.

Yes, thanks for the report. I haven't talked with my local rep yet about the DF, but I may see if I can get my grubby hands on one when they actually become available.

Hi,

Interesting. I had not heard of this until now. Looks like what goes around, comes around. The first really usable DSLR was an F3 with a digital back. I still use a digital variant of the F5, but always wished there was an upgrade to the F3 version. I would have sprung for a Leica R9 with its digital back, but the cost of re-lensing was the show stopper. I have just about every manual focus lens Nikon made, so most of the DSLRs out there are of little use to me. I will have to keep an eye on this one.....

Stan

Just hearing about this now for the first time but i really like the look of it. Looks exactly like my old nikon fm that i still use.

I also love the fact that its just a digital camera and not video as well. I hate having video on slr camera. If i wanted video id buy a point and shoot lol.

Either way this looks like a great upgrade choice over my d50 and d40x which are getting pretty old now.

Top Bottom