What's new

Nikon D3400 vs Canon EOS Rebel T6

Hello, I know I rarely log in here, but thought I would share since I get this question often.

There has been good advice here. The best is to put your hands on a camera and hold it to see what fits. You will also be buying into a system, so check if the buttons and menus make sense.

Canon - (disclaimer: I shoot Canon and spend my money here) A very easy to use system and navigate through buttons and menus. Has a huge lens option with some of the best optics (others do have some good ones as well). The dual pixel focus can't be beat for active focusing if you shoot any video with your camera so be sure that any Canon you buy has the dual pixel. Canon also has some of the best color rendition coming out of the camera.

Nikon - Better dynamic range on the sensor at low ISO - in other words if you under expose a shot, they clean up better than Canon and equal to Sony. Images will appear slightly sharper as well since they do not have as strong of an AA filter to prevent moray issues (which rarely occur anyway). Very good sensors overall, and have a large selection of lenses.

Sony - Mirrorless is not an obstacle. All the same options exist as with a regular camera and with the same concepts learned in photography class, so don't let that scare anyone. Very good images at the right settings. Great specs but I find they have many asterisks to get the best out of them in some cases. Bodies are smaller which is great to carry but bad for shooting long term. Many people find them uncomfortable or simply painful with the wrong size hands, thus hold before you buy. Plus once you add big lenses, they aren't any smaller. From a professional point of view, the service with Sony sucks. Canon and Nikon bend over backwards to fix issues fast and not Sony.

Most differences you will not notice in day to day use. All three brands shoot great photos. Sony if you like small and portable, Canon for video and great color in photos, Nikon if you think you may need to correct exposure after the fact. But hold the cameras to see what feels right and what you will carry with you. I buy Canon and recommend both Canon and Nikon to my students.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hello, I know I rarely log in here, but thought I would share since I get this question often.

There has been good advice here. The best is to put your hands on a camera and hold it to see what fits. You will also be buying into a system, so check if the buttons and menus make sense.

Canon - (disclaimer: I shoot Canon and spend my money here) A very easy to use system and navigate through buttons and menus. Has a huge lens option with some of the best optics (others do have some good ones as well). The dual pixel focus can't be beat for active focusing if you shoot any video with your camera so be sure that any Canon you buy has the dual pixel. Canon also has some of the best color rendition coming out of the camera.

Nikon - Better dynamic range on the sensor at low ISO - in other words if you under expose a shot, they clean up better than Canon and equal to Sony. Images will appear slightly sharper as well since they do not have as strong of an AA filter to prevent moray issues (which rarely occur anyway). Very good sensors overall, and have a large selection of lenses.

Sony - Mirrorless is not an obstacle. All the same options exist as with a regular camera and with the same concepts learned in photography class, so don't let that scare anyone. Very good images at the right settings. Great specs but I find they have many asterisks to get the best out of them in some cases. Bodies are smaller which is great to carry but bad for shooting long term. Many people find them uncomfortable or simply painful with the wrong size hands, thus hold before you buy. Plus once you add big lenses, they aren't any smaller. From a professional point of view, the service with Sony sucks. Canon and Nikon bend over backwards to fix issues fast and not Sony.

Most differences you will not notice in day to day use. All three brands shoot great photos. Sony if you like small and portable, Canon for video and great color in photos, Nikon if you think you may need to correct exposure after the fact. But hold the cameras to see what feels right and what you will carry with you. I buy Canon and recommend both Canon and Nikon to my students.
Thank you for your input. I am going to try to get my hands on a Canon and Nikon DSLR next week. I am betting either will be good. I don't have huge mitts, but I do have a decent hand size. I am started to get a little excited about jumping back in (last time I did any real shooting was in high school and a few years after). It has probably been 30 years or so. I am really looking forward to doing night work. I am a pretty big fan of the chiaroscuro lighting effect used in a lot of Baroque paintings, and want to see if I can re-create it. It may be a while :)

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it, and the skill basics may come back faster than you think.

With the directional lighting, get some black poster board so you can cut various patterns of holes to get fun light forms on the subject. You may have done this before as lighting techniques with film work the same with digital. Digital is just not as forgiving in the highlights.

Also with night shooting, All three brands will have better results with higher level cameras. The base cameras do not handle the darkness (high iso) as well because they have smaller APS-C size sensors and not the full frame. Just watch your iso settings to avoid going too high - on the flip side removing the high iso noise will cause some blurring and can almost be a painterly effect if done right.

high iso film = grain (can be artistic)
high iso digital = noise (ugly)

PS. If the fw in your name is Fort Worth, that is where I lived for undergrad.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it, and the skill basics may come back faster than you think.

With the directional lighting, get some black poster board so you can cut various patterns of holes to get fun light forms on the subject. You may have done this before as lighting techniques with film work the same with digital. Digital is just not as forgiving in the highlights.

Also with night shooting, All three brands will have better results with higher level cameras. The base cameras do not handle the darkness (high iso) as well because they have smaller APS-C size sensors and not the full frame. Just watch your iso settings to avoid going too high - on the flip side removing the high iso noise will cause some blurring and can almost be a painterly effect if done right.

high iso film = grain (can be artistic)
high iso digital = noise (ugly)

PS. If the fw in your name is Fort Worth, that is where I lived for undergrad.
Thanks. Once I have had my toes back in it, I will probably get a higher end body. My vacation is coming up soon, so the funds are a little limited. I think this will be a good start, though. I want to make sure that I enjoy it as much now as I did in high school, and take it from there. I hope it does- being 50, I need to find a fun hobby so I have something to do if I ever get to retire. :) And yes, I am in a north west Fort Worth suburb.

More than a single camera model - Nikon, Canon or Sony - its about an investment in an eco-system where Canon shines above competition. I have an aps-c and also a full frame 5DMark3 camera. The number of options I have for lenses both from Canon as well as third party is incredible. Canon has been stepping up the game in the after market lenses specially for the APS-C crop sensor cameras such as the T6 rebel.

I would advise take a higher view of long term investment in an ecosystem and essential lenses which you would eventually want/need as you will quickly outgrow the kit lenses in some time due to their inherent and severe constraints in exploring and using the full capabilities of a DSLR in Low light photography, wide angle landscape photography, portrait photography, wild life photography and so on. You would eventually start putting money in to the ecosystem. Canon at this time is well placed.
you supposition that the Canon market is vastly superior to Nikon is laughable. my 5300 and 600 share all glass, glass that is the industry standard. they only thing Canon is superior in is advertising.

you supposition that the Canon market is vastly superior to Nikon is laughable. my 5300 and 600 share all glass, glass that is the industry standard. they only thing Canon is superior in is advertising.
I am not a canon fanboy and refuse to engage in a fanboyism debate . I said it's well place and not superior. You can indulge in Nikon and be happy with it. They make good cameras and I have been through the cycle of moving out from Nikon to Canon. To each his own .

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great read so far
I was in the market for a new camera before a recent trip but passed and made a go with the gopro and lumix
Years ago i bought a nikon d80 retail price escaped me but it felt like a lot . It was gently and infrequently used until it got an electronics error and the shutter or mirror seemed stuck google was no help. I found an old school camera repair shop she inspected it for some time
She told me it wasn't worth the $20 estimate fee
That camera body is on eBay for $150. She opined that camera parts are available for roughly 5 years and she said cameras today can have an effective life span of 3 years
We both lamented the decline and fall of the camera industry when you could have a great camera for life
my kids suggested just putting the money to a new phone camera. Sad!
don't mean to hijack the thread but i still like the idea of a nice camera so id be curious for a rebuttal to this state of affairsaffairs
and will watch thus for the ops decision

Thanks. Once I have had my toes back in it, I will probably get a higher end body. My vacation is coming up soon, so the funds are a little limited. I think this will be a good start, though. I want to make sure that I enjoy it as much now as I did in high school, and take it from there. I hope it does- being 50, I need to find a fun hobby so I have something to do if I ever get to retire. :) And yes, I am in a north west Fort Worth suburb.

Will look out for future pics to be posted. Just got back from FW this weekend and visited the zoo for the first time in many years. Next time I am going to have to take my camera up with me.

Great read so far
I was in the market for a new camera before a recent trip but passed and made a go with the gopro and lumix
Years ago i bought a nikon d80 retail price escaped me but it felt like a lot . It was gently and infrequently used until it got an electronics error and the shutter or mirror seemed stuck google was no help. I found an old school camera repair shop she inspected it for some time
She told me it wasn't worth the $20 estimate fee
That camera body is on eBay for $150. She opined that camera parts are available for roughly 5 years and she said cameras today can have an effective life span of 3 years
We both lamented the decline and fall of the camera industry when you could have a great camera for life
my kids suggested just putting the money to a new phone camera. Sad!
don't mean to hijack the thread but i still like the idea of a nice camera so id be curious for a rebuttal to this state of affairsaffairs
and will watch thus for the ops decision

I usually have kept my digital cameras about three years. Then I sell them while they are still useable to those that have lower needs (people learning, just for family pics, etc..) and I can get some money for it. The current technology can easily last longer (not a lifetime) if you are not worried about getting into arguments over camera specs. A 20+MP camera will meet the vast majority of people's print and digital needs for the next decade or more. If you have one that does what you want and take care of it, they will easily pass 3 years of enjoyment and usability. They may not have dollar value but will take good pics. The lens will also last a long time when well cared for.

The three year limit is for those that sell them and move up, and for those that like to argue spec numbers.

edit: PS. From my experience, phones only last 2 years before breaking and have even less resale value. Plus they do not take as good pics once you look at them on something other than the phone.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Will look out for future pics to be posted. Just got back from FW this weekend and visited the zoo for the first time in many years. Next time I am going to have to take my camera up with me.
It’s been a while since I went to the Fort Worth zoo- maybe 10 years. I seem to remember that it was pretty nice. Hope you had fun. Once I get the camera I will probably start a new thread on my progress. I have been meaning to start a thread about flight simulators after some positive feedback that I received in the pic of the day thread. Work was a little hectic last week- I should be able to get on it soon.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ok. I was just thinking shave and photos and flight simulator just didn't fit in. Fort Worth wasn't where I was thinking simulator from my past experiences (more Texas coast and Florida coast). Though cool tile pattern in it.
The DFW area has the largest concentration of flight simulators in the world.

there has been good and bad in the thread. IMHO, you want a camera that has 12 Mpxl, wifi and decent low light performance. everything else is gravy. if you are not doing work that requires a full frame, I.E. astro or night photography, you are wasting money on a camera that is heavy enough to take with you. if you are going to go for a new(ish) entry level camera go to best buy or wally world and handle them. figure out which feels better to you and which one is menu driven vs button driven, and which you prefer. then go to adorama B&H or one of the other online used stores and save yourself a couple hundred. if you go nikon, I'm happy to share my knowledge. if you go Sony or Canon I'm sure others can step in. good luck with your choice.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
there has been good and bad in the thread. IMHO, you want a camera that has 12 Mpxl, wifi and decent low light performance. everything else is gravy. if you are not doing work that requires a full frame, I.E. astro or night photography, you are wasting money on a camera that is heavy enough to take with you. if you are going to go for a new(ish) entry level camera go to best buy or wally world and handle them. figure out which feels better to you and which one is menu driven vs button driven, and which you prefer. then go to adorama B&H or one of the other online used stores and save yourself a couple hundred. if you go nikon, I'm happy to share my knowledge. if you go Sony or Canon I'm sure others can step in. good luck with your choice.
Thanks. The built in Wi-Fi is pushing me toward the Canon. It is only 18 Mpxl, and the max iso isn't as high, but it is also cheaper. This shouldn't be a problem, as my first DSLR is just to get my feet wet. It will give me time to save up for a mid-range camera, and the price point of the mid-range Nikons and Canons are pretty close. I have got to stop cutting bait and start fishing :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I got to hold both. The Nikon seemed to feel better in my hand. WiFi won’t be a big deal, since I won’t be editing on a desktop anyways.

Top Bottom