What's new

Nike + Band - anyone use it?

$nike-fuel-band-e1327025077272.jpg

I've had it for a mere two days, but so far - i'm liking it. Essentially it's a band with an accelerometer in it, which tracks the amount of "nike fuel", calories and steps you take throughout the day. It also functions as a watch, and has an incredibly neat display (100 white LED's & 20 color LED's) that projects through the black band. It has a rechargeable battery (the clasp is actually a USB connection which when plugged in recharges through any powered USB port IE: a computer, or an andriod or iphone charger). The device has bluetooth and can sync with apple products to update the Nike + website, or you can plug it into your computer to see a wide array of data (how active you are by hour, etc) how your data compares to others in your age group (based on the nike + community) etc. You also set goals, which you can monitor on the device (it has a neat red, orange, yellow, green bar showing progress) and acts as a great motivational device. Example - I spent about 40 minutes on an elliptical today, then the rest of the day got ahead of me and when I next checked the time on my band (5-6 hours later) I noticed the bar was in the orange - and I was well behind where I wanted to be for the day. I put the laptop down, and took the dogs for a long walk and low and behold I was right where I wanted to be.

While i'm not convinced it accurately measures calories, or the steps taken are surgically precise - I do subscribe to the whole "nike fuel" concept... which at first I figured was largely worthless. Since the device is on your wrist, clearly it cannot be as effective at counting steps as a waist mounted pedometer - so the "fuel" concept instead measures activity. If you're watching TV - clearly the three axis accelerometer isn't going to register much, if anything. If you do certain tasks, you'll register proportionally more fuel than others (remember it's wrist mounted, so if you're on a stationary bike and your arms aren't moving at all, you're not going to burn much, if any nike fuel), however it seems to register a little low on actual exercise (running, elliptical, swimming, etc) so all in all it seems to even itself out pretty well. Again, I don't think it's incredibly precise, but in my mere two days (my opinion could change) of using it, it seems to be pretty spot on - and Nike seems to have done their homework in that when you setup the device (takes just a minute or two) you enter in your heights and weight, which changes how it calculates fuel, etc - and playing with the inputs a bit, it does seem to make a substantial difference. When i'm not doing much, I don't burn much fuel, when I am active, i'm burning fuel - and it's a great motivational aid.

An average day is considered 2,000 fuel points. An active day is considered 3,000 and an incredibly active day is 4,000+. I've left it on the default 2,000 setting and so far both days i've exceeded the "average" - yesterday I got 3,380 fuel points and today i'm at 2,718 of right now. I think it's pretty spot on, based on my activity level. I ran 3 miles yesterday, and walked another 5 throughout the day - i'd say I was pretty active. Today, working from home - I was less active, but still put in a 40 minute work out and a 2.5 mile brisk walk to help get to my current number. Normally on a Friday, I wouldn't would do a quick work out, and no walk/run... probably 1,500 fuel points tops. The mere fact that this little band makes it FUN to be more active, and the nike+ website (you get access once you buy a device) does an exceptional job of showing you data, motivating you and congratulating you when you do well (the band will show all sorts of neat animations when you attain your goal) - so far i'm impressed. The design is also exceptional - it's really well built, then aluminum clasp is Apple quality and all it takes is one push of a button to light up the display (to show time, calories burned, steps, or nike fuel burned) and everyone in eye shot will immediately say "that's incredibly cool - what is it?"

So far the only downer i've experienced is battery life. It's supposed to last up to 4 days, with some folks claiming they get a week out of theirs. At 2 days, mine needs a charge and while it isn't that big of a deal (I have to charge my phone, laptop, ipad daily already) it is one more thing you have to think about, and opposed to most watches which last years on a single battery - it's a bit of a bummer.

All in all though, for $149 - so far, i'm impressed.

Anyone else have/use the Nike+ band? Would be interested in your impressions, especially if you've had one for awhile.

Very cool. For the last week I had been researching the Nike Fuelband, Fitbit, Polar and Timex HRMs. I'm convinced that data (calories burned, steps, activity levels, heart rate...) nudge and motivate users in the right direction toward their goals. The Nike Fuelband has a huge cool factor for what it promises but the mixed reviews on amazon turned me off. Fitbit had great reviews but the device looked outdated and it wasn't for me. I ordered a Timex Ironman heart rate monitor that also calculates calories burned and has timers for intervals...etc. It should arrive next week.

I am also interested if other members use the Nike Fuelband.

Very cool. For the last week I had been researching the Nike Fuelband, Fitbit, Polar and Timex HRMs. I'm convinced that data (calories burned, steps, activity levels, heart rate...) nudge and motivate users in the right direction toward their goals. The Nike Fuelband has a huge cool factor for what it promises but the mixed reviews on amazon turned me off. Fitbit had great reviews but the device looked outdated and it wasn't for me. I ordered a Timex Ironman heart rate monitor that also calculates calories burned and has timers for intervals...etc. It should arrive next week.

I am also interested if other members use the Nike Fuelband.

Most of the negative reviews i've seen on it have only really been around the nike fuel and/or accuracy of collected data. So far, neither of these have been an issue for me. The timex HRM looks interesting, but I wouldn't wear it all the time like I do the nike+ band - which is the only issue i'd have... well that and, I like the bluetooth data transfer of the nike+ band and the ability to track your performance trends indefinitely on the nike SaaS component.

I bought mine back in may and man let me tell you I was stoked about it. It does track my day very well at work I do allot of walking and stairs about 4 miles I wanted it to track mainly that. Its great because I set mine to 5,000 fuel points a day I hit around 3,500+ after work go straight to the gym for an hour and then home where I am almost at my 5,000 fuel points but not all the way so it forces me to be more active when I get home maybe a walk or some kind of activity before I sit down for the night. Which is one thing it was intended for to not just track your activity but force you to strive for a goal and keep you active to reach it. so I loved it at first but I did notice when I do weight training or when I do very high incline on the treadmills where I use grips it does not track body motion that well where it did state the it did for cycle training and such so I was a little put off by that because an intense work out would not be recorded properly so I would not be near my goal at the end of my gym session. also I ride a motorcycle and the rumble of the bike throws it off badly which is to be expected do to the vibration but that kind of put a downer on my day because when I would ride to work no matter where I put it my saddle bags, pocket, wrist it would be thrown off which just messed me up for the whole day and gave me a ton of points I did not earn which made the tracking pointless. So the days I would ride I would not wear it which was bad because it throws off your week tracking and such.

In all I like it over a reg heart rate monitor or pedometer I think it is cool and look forward to seeing the next one they come out with. I would say if you are a runner/walker or somebody who want to track motion through out the day it is a great tool somebody tracking runs and other strength or core work outs might not be the best imo.

Anyone still using this thing? I was thinking about getting one but wanted to see if Joel or anyone else was still wearing it. I know it's pretty simple to run the data up on one of these. A UFC fighter bought one and said he could fist pump his way to his daily goal. But it seems like something that would keep you motivated, as in if you haven't reached your goal towards the end of the day you would go for a quick run or gym session to reach your daily goal. Your thought?

Anyone still using this thing? I was thinking about getting one but wanted to see if Joel or anyone else was still wearing it. I know it's pretty simple to run the data up on one of these. A UFC fighter bought one and said he could fist pump his way to his daily goal. But it seems like something that would keep you motivated, as in if you haven't reached your goal towards the end of the day you would go for a quick run or gym session to reach your daily goal. Your thought?

These things were hot with my friends when they first came out. Out of 6 people that I know that had the nike and 3 with the fitbit that were all about them trying to sell it to me, NONE - not a single one still uses theirs 3 months later.

walker thats the whole point behind it. to set a goal and keep you motivated to hit it its a great idea and works great every time id wear it id watch my fuel point and if I was done working out and I would be close to my goal id go take a walk or do some other things to hit my goal. Sir-nix-alot hit it on the money with i wore the crap out of mine but it got annoying when I would do my spin class and I would hit like 1500 cals burned but because I was on a bike it would not pick it up and I would be no where near my goal. I also bought an bad *** gshock watch so it really went out of rotation. If you do allot of physical activity that you can not track like out door running or roller blading or what have ya it is great but gym wise i would not waste your money.

An alternative is the Nike + sensor in your shoe. It will count your Nike fuel, cals, and distance so long as you turn the app on.

I have the sensor but was looking for something to wear all day. I can wear the sensor of course but i have to keep the program running on my phone which kills the battery and when you stay idle for a period of time it pauses and you have to start it again when you start walking around. With my lapse of memory i know it would be paused for hours before i realized it.

Top Bottom