What's new

Nightcap's Journey into Straight Razor Shaving

Day 36

Being away overnight on business I shaved with the Rodgers in my Hotel this morning. Nice two pass shave with cream, towel and aftershave chilled in the miniature refrigerator. I have also been enjoying the Firehouse Tacky moustache wax, which is a very fine product.

Day 37

Nice two pass shave this morning. I have found that at this point my straight shaves take the same amount of time as using a safety razor. Luckily the wife has taken over my Merkur so it is still being used.

Day 38

Nice shave this morning with the Rodgers.

I ordered four ounces of menthol crystals and added one crushed crystal to my Proraso aftershave, which amplified the cooling effect. I could perhaps add one more but I believe any more than that would be excessive and perhaps a little bit painful.

Day 40

I am achieving consistently fine shaves with no irritation. I am pleased that I made the switch to straight razors.

Menthol crystals? I had not thought of this before.. and now reading of it you may make me try it!

Day 38

Nice shave this morning with the Rodgers.

I ordered four ounces of menthol crystals and added one crushed crystal to my Proraso aftershave, which amplified the cooling effect. I could perhaps add one more but I believe any more than that would be excessive and perhaps a little bit painful.

Day 41

Nice shave with the Rodgers.

The menthol crystals definitely have a strong effect. One crushed crystal in my Proraso aftershave produces a bracing chill and a very minor burning in my eyes as the alcohol evaporates up my face. I would heartily recommend the experience while urging moderation in the addition of menthol, as the crystals are extremely concentrated.

Day 42

I decided to switch to the Gold Dollar today to compare the edge to the Rodgers. This confirmed that I need to touch it up as it is not cutting quite as well as it was. The edge Buca put on the Gold Dollar is still superb. I should have time to touch up the Rodgers this weekend. I will likely just use the 1 um film followed by my pasted balsa strop.

Day 43

Nice shave with the Gold Dollar this morning. I will need to make a set of new scales for it, and bring the appearance up to par with the shave.

Day 45

I have the day off work, and the Rodgers was beginning to feel less sharp. So, this morning I decided to touch it up. I went through a lapping film progression over paper of 3 um, 0.5 um and 0.5 um with Proraso green lather. I followed this with 60 passes on my leather strop.

The resulting shave was excellent.

Day 46

Another excellent shave with the Rodgers. Increasingly employing blade buffing technique, especially along jaw line.

Day 47

Nice shave, decreased prep to only a cold rinse and lather on face while stropping. This seems to work fine and further reduces my shave time.

I can shave like this, and I've found that the lather on face while stropping helps a bunch - but I still do *better* if I shower first, then
lather face, then strop, then shave.

Day 47

Nice shave, decreased prep to only a cold rinse and lather on face while stropping. This seems to work fine and further reduces my shave time.

I can shave like this, and I've found that the lather on face while stropping helps a bunch - but I still do *better* if I shower first, then
lather face, then strop, then shave.

I agree, that is my usual routine. Sometimes however I am forced to shower in the evening. So, it is nice to have a plan for a quick morning shave.

I agree, that is my usual routine. Sometimes however I am forced to shower in the evening. So, it is nice to have a plan for a quick morning shave.

Well I too have been known to do cold water shaves like that.. or when I'm without hot water ;)

Day 49

Nice shave with the Rodgers this morning. Normal routine (shower, cold splash, lather, strop, cold rinse, two pass shave, cold rinse, Proraso Green aftershave, Firehouse Tacky moustache wax). I've been able to reduce my morning shower and shave to about 20 minutes.

I am a complete convert to cold water shaving. I enjoy how it feels and leaves me with less irritation. I began back in my safety razor days and have only shaved with a straight in cold water.

Day 49
I am a complete convert to cold water shaving. I enjoy how it feels and leaves me with less irritation. I began back in my safety razor days and have only shaved with a straight in cold water.

Well, to be fair the few times I've done it it felt great, but it was always somewhere very cool (outdoors) so I just attributed the niceness to that.

I should probably try for a week in controlled conditions ;)

Top Bottom