What's new

Night -v- Day Growth, a personal study

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After discussing beard growth night -v- day here, I have ecided to conduct a personal study to determine if my whiskers grow more during the day or the night. This well be done by shaving twice a day over at least the next 7 days. Shaving with a straight razor will mean that no irritation or skin damage to have an effect on the results.

To undertake this study, I will be using my English matching seven-day set. All razors in this set are identical and have been finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa strops. For me, there is no discernible difference with these SRs in resultant shaves.

IMG_20210801_205938.jpg

I will be shaving at about 0600 UTC+10 and again at 1800 UTC+10 every day. 0600 will be WTG, XTG+CdM and XTG in opposite direction while 1800 will be the same except without the CdM. Same soap face-lathered with the same brush every shave.

The resultant growth between each shave will be assessed by feel when I prep (wash) my face before lathering. Hopefully the result will show me if my whisker grow more during the day or more during the night or about the same.

I will report my findings in this thread as the study progresses. First shave tomorrow (Monday) morning.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I decided to start this study this evening (Sunday) so that I will have my first reference to start comparing against at tomorrow morning's pre-shave prep.

I shaved with a SR (my normal travel razor) that is identical to the ones in my English M7DS, also finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa strops. Soap was Palmolive Regular cream face lathered with a Chinese synthetic brush. This arrangement will be kept the same throughout the study.

IMG_20220515_095814.jpg

Tomorrow evening's shave will give me my first comparison.

NO dreaming of lewd women now, studies have actually shown a mans beard show a marginal accelerated growth rate if his brain thinks about certain people in a certain way.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
NO dreaming of lewd women now, studies have actually shown a mans beard show a marginal accelerated growth rate if his brain thinks about certain people in a certain way.
I'll be sure to take my antiandrogen medication every evening 😁.

I find growth is much faster at night.
Even if the shave is still close at around 10PM, by 7am the stubble is visible and totally ready to be shaved.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here is my setup for the week with "Monday" out on display.

IMG_20230529_123426.jpg

Monday is "Monday" in AM and "Tuesday" in PM
Tuesday is "Wednesday" in AM and "Thursday" in PM
Wednesday is "Friday" in AM and "Saturday" in PM
Thursday is "Sunday" in AM and "Monday" in PM
Friday is "Tuesday" in AM and "Wednesday" in PM
Saturday is "Thursday" in AM and "Friday" in PM
Sunday is "Saturday" in AM and "Sunday" in PM

Pre-shave preparation for each shave is; wet face, apply Pears Transparent soap, wash face for 1 minute and rinse face multiple times until squeeky clean (about 2 to 3 minutes). It is during this preparation that I judge the feel of my face and compare the feel against the previous preparation.

Lathering for each shave is Palmolive Regular cream applied to wet brush and face lather.

The AM shave is; WTG, XTG+CdM and XTG in opposite direction. The PM shave is the same except there is no CdM (fool's pass).

1st Comparison

Monday AM feel was definitely rougher than the PM feel. Whiskers grew more during Sunday night.

The resultant Monday PM shave produced an exceptionally smooth result, particularly on the jawline and chin. I will see what comparison result I get Tuesday AM.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
2nd Comparison - Tuesday AM shave

Pretty much the same pre-shave feel as last night, so about equal growth. Shave result this morning was just a little less smooth that last night's.

I read that Gillette recommends shaving first thing in the morning for an optimum shave, when the hair follicle stands proud of well rested (flatter?) skin

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
3rd Comparison - Tuesday PM shave

Pretty much the same pre-shave feel as this morning. Maybe a little smoother but hard to tell. I'll say about equal growth. Shave result this evening was a little smoother than this morning's.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
4th Comparison - Wednesday AM shave

A smoother pre-shave feel this morning. Less growth during the night compared to yesterday day growth. Shave result this morning was a little smoother than yesterday evening.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
5th Comparison - Wednesday PM shave

No change in the pre-shave feel this evening. About the same growth during the day compared to the previous night's growth. Shave result this morning was aboutbthe same my normal finish.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
6th Comparison - Thursday AM shave

Pre-shave feel this morning was a little rougher than last night. I would say that there was slightly more growth during the night than during yesterday's day growth. Shave result this morning noticeably closer than my normal results.

About halfway through this study and it is looking like my original assumption that my whiskers grow more during the night might be wrong. Looking back over my results, growth is looking (feeling) pretty much the same between night and day.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
7th Comparison - Thursday PM shave

Pre-shave feel this evening was smoother than this morning. There was less growth during today than there was during last night. Shave result this evening was up there with one of my closest.

Three more days and 6 shaves to go.

Top Bottom