What's new

Night Shaving = Better Skin?

Gents, I tried morning shaving from night shaving a few weeks ago. The results were startling, and not in a good way. After shaving in the morning, my stubble was more visible, and it seemed to show up quicker. My complexion was mottled, splotchy, and just plain painful to look at. I did this for two weeks, hoping that something would change. I tried different blades, different razors, different soaps; the results were the same.

I switched back to night shaving and all i can say is WOW! I wake up in the morning and I barely see any stubble at all. I wash my face after the shower and when it comes time to shave at night, it's something that I use to relax, something that I enjoy. Besides the psychologically calming effects of a proper night shave, does anyone have any theories as to why, for my skin, a morning shave is detrimental?

The only theory I could come up with is that, in the morning, the face is puffy, and shaving on puffy skin wouldn't be as close of a shave because the face would de-puff (is that an actual term?) and the hair you didn't get would show up. That still doesn't answer the questions of red spots and razor burn I wouldn't normally get. Does anyone have any theories?

The only theory I could come up with is that, in the morning, the face is puffy, and shaving on puffy skin wouldn't be as close of a shave because the face would de-puff (is that an actual term?) and the hair you didn't get would show up. That still doesn't answer the questions of red spots and razor burn I wouldn't normally get. Does anyone have any theories?

Your ideas are my best guess as well. But I don't have any ideas about the redness and razor burn, though.

Hi Shane...this is subjective and I think it would be appropriate to say: "Different strokes for different folks".

Theoretically speaking, as long as you thouroughly clean your face (from the "goo" of the day), then it shouldn't matter when you shave.

True, your face is somewhat inflamed (puffy) when you wake up, but for most a good shower and cleaning, makes the skin breathe and wake up.

The common cause for this inflammatory process are numerous but could be due to dehydration, poor diet, etc...dehydration is a big one. Also, at night, an unwashed or cleaned face tends to carry the dead skin/cells and "goo" from the day, leading to poor circulation or "breathing" of your skin...result: you wake up with a swollen face.

Try drinking water during the day (or even whenever you wake up to go to bathroom at night)...You will start seeing a noticeable results in your AM shaves. Also, before bed, try cleansing your face with a gentle cleanser and moisturizing it with something like Trumper's moisturizing lotion...works wonders:thumbup1:

Personally for me, AM shaves are the best...it's BBS ALL DAY baby...no swelling, no irritation, nothing. And yes, I have tried evening shaves...doesn't compare.

Robert

One thing I've found important is that I don't mind using a moisturizer after I shave at night. Generally, I hate having anything oily on my face, but I don't mind it so much if I go to sleep shortly after. Aside from that, I very much enjoy relaxing and having a good shave while I have time to do it right. Everything is too rushed in the morning and I tend not to do a good job because I'm half-asleep.

I usually night shave because that's when it's nice to wind down the work/school day with a nice shave.
In the morning it feels like I'm too crammed for time. Although as for effects on skill, I am not sure. :blink:

I generally shave at night myself. The reason being that when I wake in the morning I find that my face is a bit puffy/swollen. I understand that this is a pretty common thing. I cannot remember the explanation for it, but I can say that it makes it harder for me to shave. Generally I cut myself a lot and the shave doesn't feel so great if I shave upon waking. I can only attribute the blotches and seemingly additional growth (like you mentioned) to the swelling/puffiness. I'm sure there's some sort of dermatology site that can explain it better.

How long would it take for this supposed morning puffiness to subside? I mean, do you at least eat breakfast first?

Maybe it just has to do with in the morning you're more rushed resulting in a tad more anxiety and decreased shaving performance, wheras at night you know you're not going anywhere so you're more relaxed?

Biologically speaking, puffiness will last depending on several factors:

1. dirty face = inflammation (aka puffiness)
2. lack of good sleep = inflammation/puffiness (you'll start seeing a direct correlation between how tired you are when you wake up and your skin)
3. Dehydration = inflammation/puffiness
4. your "genetics and biochemistry"...so to speak.
5. etc, etc...

There's not much you can do about 4...your are product of your genes. However, I have found 1-3 to play major roles in my shaves...your skin will tell you how it feels before a shave...this will translate into a good/bad shave. For me, the evenings are time to relax and my body (including skin) is tired from the chores of the day...they need a break. I found that showering really invigorates and wakes up my body (and skin)...once you get blood flowing through your veins again, inflammatory signals will get diluted out and puffiness will go down. I am over simplifying the biology here...but, you get the point.:001_rolle

Again, the worse 1-3 above are, the more time it takes to get rid of inflammation. You want to minimize 1-3.

Of course, time constraints and shaving never go hand in hand...Get up earlier if you have to, but NEVER rush a good shave

Robert

How long would it take for this supposed morning puffiness to subside? I mean, do you at least eat breakfast first?

Maybe it just has to do with in the morning you're more rushed resulting in a tad more anxiety and decreased shaving performance, wheras at night you know you're not going anywhere so you're more relaxed?

I usually shave in my car during the afternoon rush. Sure, it's clumsy with a straight razor when hitting a pothole (no more nose to worry about shaving under!) but I find it relaxing during the ride home. Make sure you keep some extra band aids in the glovebox and a suture kit with 000 silk. Also, when you wave the razor at other drivers, they tend to let you get in front of them.

:a14:That is great...LOVED it! How do make the lather?? :shaving:
Robert

I usually shave in my car during the afternoon rush. Sure, it's clumsy with a straight razor when hitting a pothole (no more nose to worry about shaving under!) but I find it relaxing during the ride home. Make sure you keep some extra band aids in the glovebox and a suture kit with 000 silk. Also, when you wave the razor at other drivers, they tend to let you get in front of them.

I'm a 'night shaver' as well and I also believe I get better shaves at night. I've heard people advise shaving after breakfast when 'morning shaving', I'm not sure the reason why. Does hair grow at a slower pace when asleep? I notice no stubble in the morning after a 'night shave' (8-9 hours later).

I usually night shave because that's when it's nice to wind down the work/school day with a nice shave.
In the morning it feels like I'm too crammed for time. Although as for effects on skill, I am not sure. :blink:

Same here. I'm too rushed in the morning to take my time and appreciate it. I think it also stems from the "old days" when I used cartridge razors. Could only shave irritation-free once I had substantial growth so I'd wait right before I went out on the weekend (or needed to be clean-shaven).

Hi Joe,
When you sleep, most metabolic functions tend to slow down (heart rate, pulse, blood flowetc...). Hair does not grow any faster or slower (contrary to what is reported in some instances) when awake or asleep. That observation is due to the fact that when skin retracts around the hair follicle (due to lack of swelling and/or dehydration), it leads to the impression that hair has grown faster.

Now, the opposite happens when you shave at night. When shaving at night, your face still goes through the ritual of swelling (as usual) in the AM (blood flow and heart rate is less, resulting in less effective flushing of the cytokines that cause inflammation).

Now, here's what I think is the kicker:
It's not that your shaves are better, it just means that the swelling (in the AM) has enveloped more of the hair, leaving you with the impression that you have achieved a smoother shave...

The best practice is to reduce the inflammation (whether shaving at night or AM)...when skin breathes, it will lead to better shaves and happy you :thumbup1:. Best way to reduce inflammation is to clean your face often 9without stripping it of essential oils)

Robert

I'm a 'night shaver' as well and I also believe I get better shaves at night. I've heard people advise shaving after breakfast when 'morning shaving', I'm not sure the reason why. Does hair grow at a slower pace when asleep? I notice no stubble in the morning after a 'night shave' (8-9 hours later).

Hi Joe,
When you sleep, most metabolic functions tend to slow down (heart rate, pulse, blood flowetc...). Hair does not grow any faster or slower (contrary to what is reported in some instances) when awake or asleep. That observation is due to the fact that when skin retracts around the hair follicle (due to lack of swelling and/or dehydration), it leads to the impression that hair has grown faster.

Now, the opposite happens when you shave at night. When shaving at night, your face still goes through the ritual of swelling (as usual) in the AM (blood flow and heart rate is less, resulting in less effective flushing of the cytokines that cause inflammation).

It's not that your shaves are better, it just means that the swelling (in the AM) has enveloped more of the hair, leaving you with the impression that you have achieved a smoother shave...

The best practice is to reduce the inflammation (whether shaving at night or AM)...when skin breathes, it will lead to better shaves and happy you :thumbup1:. Best way to reduce inflammation is to clean your face often 9without stripping it of essential oils)

Robert

This sounds like good advice. I'd like to try it, but am wondering...what product would you recommend for cleaning your face without stripping your natural skin oils? The reason I'm wondering is because I cannot clean my face more than once a day without it getting really dried out with what I currently use.

Hi Joe,

Robert

Thanks for the excellent information, Robert.

One thing I've noticed after shaving at night is in the morning, any niks or scrapes I mangaed to make the night before are almost totally gone. As well as any irritation I may have given myself is gone. I can usually maintain a DFS the whole work day (I go to sleep with BBS) but by 7PM I'm ready to shave again.

That, and I love how relaxing night shaving can be.

Shawn

Hi Wolfman,
My wife and I swear by "Desert Essence Facial Wash"...it has natural ingredients, it's gentle. 32oz is $10 at WholeFoods. I have recently purchased it at Vitacost.com for cheaper too

At night, after washing, I follow that with either one of the following:
1. Trumper's Moisturizer (white stuff...comes in skin food bottles)
2. NancyBoy Facial moisturizer or
3. Dr. Hauschka's Quince creme...this is a bit more oily, but works great. My wife and I swear by it too...A bit $$ though...I get it off the bay (1 oz for $24)

2-3 time a week, you may want to exfoliate the skin/face too...there are many facial scrubs out there you can try...doesn't matter (Alba brand, according to my wife is great)

Robert

This sounds like good advice. I'd like to try it, but am wondering...what product would you recommend for cleaning your face without stripping your natural skin oils? The reason I'm wondering is because I cannot clean my face more than once a day without it getting really dried out with what I currently use.

I prefer morning shaves b/c they allow me to enjoy my BBS face longer in my wake up hours whereas where you go to sleep after a good shave, no one (not even you yourself) can see the result of your cleanest shave.

Top Bottom