What's new

Night Shaving: A Quick One (and a New Go-To #2?)

I couldn't shave yesterday. I couldn't shave earlier today. Schedule went out of control (the Freelancer's Curse™)

But I had to shave tonight. Reasons: Classified. :smile:

I've already established my go-to Main Axe: a Dorco St-300 in my late-1940s gold Gillette Aristocrat (while I still search for my elusive silver/rhodium closed-comb Aristocrat with exactly the same shaving characteristics). This, as Dana Carvey exclaims, is Excalibur. But I also got a Gillette Super Adjustable (1972) along with the 'crat, and got some yellow-label Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge samples alongside the two Dorco 300s. I figured this was as good a time as any to try the Super/7 O'Clock combo, and see how this setup worked under semi-rushed conditions.

Turned out the conditions were rougher than rushed: halfway through my pre-shave shower, the hot water started to temper downward, which reminded me that the boiler had been playing up the last week. I cut the shower a bit short to save a bit of agua caliente, and started prepping for the shave with fingers crossed tightly. I had the blade in the Super already, so there was no hasty razor setup. Razor set at "3." A normal two-and-a-half-pass (two on the face, plus an XTG along the neck) was the drill.

Then the water went seriously cold on my first-pass rinse. Bad. I soldiered onward. The next pass brought the slightest bit of burn, but I attribute that to my rushing a bit more than I'd like. Final rinse in cool water, then a final final rinse in Absolute Cold water spray, dab dry, then AS.

No weepers (surprisingly), and just a hint of burn, but a just-short-of-BBS shave (re-evaluating as I tap this out).

Verdict. The yellow Gillettes stay in the picture. I'll want to compare them with the IPs before designating them as Go-To #2. But I like what I feel so far.

- Barrett

Last edited:
I always find myself rushing my shaves and severely regretting it later because of weepers or irritation.

When am I gonna learn to set aside time so I can enjoy my shave? :lol:

How does the gold aristocrat shave compare to a super speed?

I have some dorco's but i'm wondering how to distinguish between the 300 and the 301's/

I always find myself rushing my shaves and severely regretting it later because of weepers or irritation.

When am I gonna learn to set aside time so I can enjoy my shave? :lol:

How does the gold aristocrat shave compare to a super speed?

I have some dorco's but i'm wondering how to distinguish between the 300 and the 301's/
I've never had or used a Super Speed, so I can't say. The "Super" I'm using is the next-to-last version (all-metal) of the Super Adjustable. This one is working out nicely, but I'm not sure its up to the level of mechanical refinement as my Aristocrat.

As far as knowing whch Dorco is which, the labeling should tell the tale easily. As far as the shave? Some say the 301 beats the 300, but I'm using only the 300for now, and to my face it's certainly more than good enough.

- Barrett

Out of the wrapper, they're indistinguishable, unless you put the edge under a microscope.

The 300 comes in a blue and grey wrapper with the ST-300 designation in the upper right corner. The 301 comes in a yellow and white striped wrapper inside a plastic container similar to Derbys or Wilkinsons.

Out of the wrapper, they're indistinguishable, unless you put the edge under a microscope.

The 300 comes in a blue and grey wrapper with the ST-300 designation in the upper right corner. The 301 comes in a yellow and white striped wrapper inside a plastic container similar to Derbys or Wilkinsons.

oh wow missed the big ST-300 on the label! DOH!

haha thanks

A quick comment on the hot water problem. I live in central Alaska where our well water is VERY hard, so I have got used to microwaving half a cup of distilled water each morning, which is enough for lather for 3 passes and then a hot soak. I am now spending about 6 weeks a year in Beijing (where there is a serious water shortage) and 2-3 months in Portland (where the water is soft and wonderful for shaving), and find that I still microwave shaving water since it cuts way down on my hot water use.

Top Bottom